Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mechanical Advance Timing
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 11:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Almost there

Ok, Almost there but still an issue.

Installed the mechanical limiting screw in my MSD Streetfire pn 8362 and confirmed mechanical advance now limited at 36 degrees. Confirmed it by taking the springs out and going up to 4000 rpm. Stayed at 36 degrees all the way up there.

However, after that I tried a number of different advance rate springs out (2 blues, 1 heavy and 1 light, 2 silvers) and all of them cause the advance to stop at 32 degrees all the way to 4500 rpm. (did not go higher than that). What gives?

Idle timing continues to be set at 18 degrees. (vacuum advance disconnected and plugged)

Do I adjust the distributor to bring it to 36 degrees? Would that not raise the idle timing to above 20?

Since without the springs it goes to 36 and with it doesn't the problem has to be in the springs I think; I'm just not sure how to resolve this. I want 18 degrees of mechanical advance on top of my initial advance.

So, on my thought of this being springs related; I used the springs from the Pro-Billet advance kit (the store had that in stock and not the one for my distributor so I took it thinking springs are springs) so I'm thinking that maybe those springs are not designed to work with my distributor and cannot stretch far enough. The pro billet advance chart shows them going much higher than what I need but maybe that is specific to the pro-billet and, on my distributor, they can't stretch that far so are limited to 14 degrees?

thoughts?

Thanks
Gary

Last edited by ggevaert; 09-22-2012 at 11:14 PM.