Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mechanical Advance Timing
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 09:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Springs

Thanks F-BIRD'88, I have already ordered MSD PN 8248 (the proper spring advance set for my distributor) which should be in tuesday and I'm also going to look into the mrgasket one you noted. I also found a moroso HEI spring set sitting around and tried it as well but still got stuck at the 32 degree mark. (although those springs were tiny compared to the pro-billet ones)

A couple of questions:
1. These kits come with weights, are these supposed to replace the weights in the distributor to work in conjunction with the springs included in the kit or are they only there in case you need new weights because the current ones are old/worn? I have a brand new MSD so the weights are working smoothly so I thought I would not need to change.

2. Can you elaborate on what you mean with
Quote:
"Check the free length when the spring is at rest. Check the weights for free movement"
I think I know what you mean with the first one; Some of the springs I did note were really tiny and I had to open them quite a bit to put them on so I can see them being limited. As for the weights; they are snug and not moving when I jiggle them at rest; they move smoothly out and snap right back. With 'free movement' do you mean they should not move (i.e. slop in them) when at rest or do you mean they move easily out and back?

Thank You!