Hot Rod Forum banner

Mechanical or Electrical Fuel Pump

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  willys36@aol.com 
#1 ·
looking at a holley red or a holley blue electric fuel pump, and then a holley mechanical pump rated at 60gph. anyone have any recommendations for a mild street car? and is their any advantage to using a electrical pump as opposed to a mech pump?

#2 ·
On the street I don't use electric fuel pumps any more.they're noisy and extra work to install.And they offer no performance advantage in 99% of street cars.
mechanical pumps bolt right on and are reliable.no muss,no fuss, 1 less thing to worry about.
but thats just one grease monkey's opinion:p

#4 ·
A electric pump will give less pulsing pressure for a steady state of fuel delivery. a mechanical can float on you at very high RPM's reducing fuel pressure. Other than this a mechanical will be more reliable and normally install easier as posted before.

#5 ·
A mechanical pump is no doubt easier to install, but more reliable, I don't think so. Just look at the millions of production cars on the road right now, built since the the late 80's with electric fuel pumps. An electric fuel pump not need to be noisy, if it is I would not install it on my vehicle. I am planning on an in tank electric fuel pump for my street rod. It will be no noisier than my 90 model truck, or my wifes 97 Tahoe.

Vince

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.