Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mechanical Faux Pas
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
On the hood flying off, did that. About 18 years old and had remove the latch on the hood and at some point hopped in and drove off having not put the latch back in. I drove it a lot without the hood so I had no hinges on it. I would just set the hood on with the latch in the front and a bolt on each rear corner. So the hood was on and the bolts were put in and off I went. I will never forget seeing the hood bouncing up and down on the front and crapping my pants, hit the brakes and the hood was GONE. I mean GONE, I was still going pretty good, 25-30 looking out the rear window waiting for it to come down on the cars lining the street! This was a very narrow street, I don't think there was even room for two cars to pass. With cars along the side. I am freaking out looking back thru my little rear window and WHAM the hood came down like a bag of sand thrown out of plane! Right in the middle of the street, WHAM. I turned around got the hood up off the street and put it back on the truck and slowly drove home to take this photo.

Brian
This reminded me of my home made spare tire carrier in my step side shortbox Chevy pickup.

I guess I didn't have a good locking system for the wing nut and I was driving in a subdivision and all of a sudden the truck jumped like a bucking bronco. I looked out the rear view window and seen the wheel come down and start bouncing down the street. It came to a stop with out hitting a thing. DOH!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-24-2013)