Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Mechanical Faux Pas
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My parents had a sailboat on Lake Ontario years ago (probably 1987). It was the end of the season and my Mom Dad and I hopped in the 1970s Dodge Power Wagon farm truck and made the 40mile trek up a winding 2 lane highway (NYS rt 3 or 4). This thing was a beast of a truck Long Box 3/4 or 1 ton; 4wd, 360 dodge and a 727 with 4.something rear gears. Oh and 'helper springs' in the back.

We got up there just fine, coming home with a 23ft sailboat with full cabin and fully loaded on a single axle trailer; the passenger side wheel came off the trailer. Heres the spooky part: it was dark out and my dad didnt notice the wheel was gone until he saw SPARKS from the trailer being dragged down the road. The truck didnt flinch just kept on dragging. So my dad stops and pulls over nice and easy. He had to walk about a quarter mile before he found a farmer that would let us put the trailer/boat in his pasture. So eventually Dad comes back (My mom is just losing her marbles and getting angrier because her 8yr old son thought the sparks were NEAT. Dad hops in the Dodge, fires it up, drops it in 4H and pulled that trailer off the soft shoulder and down the road easy as pie. WTF. Its october and it starts to snow. A week later my dad goes back to fix the trailer and bring it home...neither he nor the farmer ever found the wheel n tire. Oh and the farmer? He was 80 and got sucked through a potato picker and lived to tell abut it...punched full of holes and all.
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-26-2013)