Mechanical Faux Pas - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
Hey UncaBill, Never have figured out why they are left handed on one side to begin with? I call Goodenuf on this one. olnolan
Somewhere in the annals of time, someone decided that these nut/bolt combos had to be in the direction of rotation to prevent them from unscrewing - for instance, all Chrysler products at least through the '50s and I believe even into the '60s had that arrangement along with crappy Lockheed brakes ( I have the scars on my hands to prove it ). When they went to the self energizing Bendix brake design, then they got 'conventional' with their lug bolting

Dave W

Advertisement
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yep

Yep, I remember that now. When I asked my old boss that question many years ago, he told me the same thing. When I asked him why the left wheels didn't fall off of the Fords and Chevys, he just shook his head and walked away. Haa Oh, if Mopar woulda paid as much attention to their wiring harness as they did to the wheel studs, there would still be alot of them on the road. In the 60's and 70's, wiring harness problems seemed to be the #1 reason for selling or junking them. olnolan

Last edited by OLNOLAN; 01-27-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: adder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

Here's one story (for now) that I can add to the fire :

While out driving my '78 T/A one day just before this winter hit, I had done a "spirited launch" from a stop sign (4-spd manual) with no problem, grabbed 2nd without any problem, but since I was slightly above the speed limit I went to shift into 4th and - problem. Now normally, my every-day-driving shift pattern is 1-3-4 since this is a close-ratio trans - the drop between 1 and 3 allows fairly leisurely shifting motion cause 3rd will engage just above idle in this instance (nice, smooth, movement consisting of just a flick of the wrist). Back to the story, when I went to shift into 4th I guess the timing between clutch-shift was a bit off, so I was already working on releasing the clutch before 4th gear was fully engaged . . . result: ***GRRRRIIIINNNNDDDDD***. Oh, it was nasty - thankfully nobody was around to see this happen. I didn't fully realize how bad it actually was until later when I went to shift into 3rd and . . . what the? . . . 3rd gear won't engage *at* *all* - if I keep pressure on the shifter then 3rd will work, but the minute I let up it pops out. I'm thinking that when I ground 4th I knocked something in the 3-4 synchronizer out of alignment (I'm thinking one of the 3 clutch keys), but I haven't pulled the trans to check it out, yet. Guess I'll have to do so if I want to take it out in the spring.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brimstone For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 01-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I have several.
Traded for a 72 Nova SS 350 4 speed, the car had a Holley vac. secondary carb on it when I got it. The previous owner was telling me how great the car ran, I drove it and it did not pull like I thought it should plus it had a dead miss at all rpms. I traded anyway because the car was worth way more than what I gave up (64 Lesabre coupe). I got it home went through the entire tune and found one plug that had no gap and found the secondary diaphragm gasket that should have had a hole in it was a solid piece of gasket material, preventing the secondary's from opening. Repaired both and completed the tune up.
It was time for a test drive, told the wife I would be right back and took the car out to a close by highway, turned it around towards home, waited for all traffic to clear wound it up, dumped the clutch and laid rubber for about 80 feet, power shifted into second...well attempted to, as soon as I hit second BOOM there was a god awful bunch of racket as I blew the drive shaft out of it. My initial thought was the rear blew, but a couple of seconds changed that thought as the car was still rolling. Called a wrecker and had it towed home. The wife was quite proud to see me bring it back home on the hook.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1ownerT For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 01-27-2010, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

Hey Brimstone

That would be a changer de place faux pas. Dam, I hope it ain't hurt too bad. olnolan
Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

Hey T- Man

LMAO, I bet that scared the crap out of ya. I haven't ever blowed a driveshaft YET. I hope I don't cause thats likely to make sheet on yourself. olnolan
Old 01-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

In the late 70's I had a 59 Ford convertable. I also had a Volkwagen van. The van was at my folks place 600 miles away. I deceided to tow it with the 59 ford to where I lived. Fabricated a tow bar that bolted to the bumper. centered it on the bumper, and off I went. About 20 miles down the road I noticed I couldn't see if there was any cars behind me. So I thought why not just move the tow bar over on the bumper so that the van was off center on the tow bar. 5 min later I was off again. It towed great for about 500 miles. Then the road started to have a few icey patches and things would swerve a little when it hit the ice. Never thought that the off center hitch might cause that. Came into a city about 100 miles from me destination. There was a double bend in the road all iced up. You guessed it, I put her right into a light pole. Bent the frame on the 59 Ford but the VW came out surprizingly well. After I had time to think it over, I realized that putting the tow bar off set on the curved bumper of the VW wasn't the brightest move I ever made. Sure do miss that 59 convertable though.
The Following User Says Thank You to daoldbuick For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 01-27-2010, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

Fast Vw

DOB, That would be another example of a faux pas that scares the crap out of ya. Bet you had to wipe your butt after that! olnolan
Look Honey, theres a VW bus trying to pass us on the shoulder. HAA
Old 02-03-2010, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

Okay Heres Another

Had an old Camino w/327. Fine tuning idle mixture on new carb. Went through the balancing act with car in park. I've always rebalanced carburetors on cars with auto transmissions in drive. Well, under the carport there was a support column right at the driver side door. Everything was fine with the parking brake set while putting it in drive and adjusting carb. I went back and forth from drive to neutral and for some reason I put it in reverse instead of drive and jumped out to tweak the carb a bit more. When I turned the idle screw in a bit the car started backing up very slowly with the driver door still open. By the time I could run around the car, get in and get on the brakes, the door had already contacted the column and bent the hinges. Luckily the door wasn't bent, but I did have to readjust the hinges to get the door to close correctly.
Thats a Faux Pas. olnolan
Old 02-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Last photo:

Here's another story (Also on the previously mentioned '78 T/A):

I originally picked up this car to use as a learning experience over 8 years ago, and one of the first things I did was a complete re-wiring job. This was also the first time I've ever done any type of automotive wiring, so there were some aspects that I had to kinda guess at - like routing the wires. In this case, I had a large collection of wires underneath the dash, and it would've been an extremely tight fit getting these wires up and over the steering column - so I went underneath the column. Fast forward to last summer when I notice that my oil pressure gauge was doing some funky things - whenever I would shift the trans, the oil pressure would spike. Sometimes it wouldn't spike at all, most times it would spike for less than a second, so it was real random and had me confused (why would the oil pressure spike when the trans is not engaged to the engine?) . . . until I made the connection that the gauge would spike every time I pushed the clutch pedal to the floor. What was happening was over the years the clutch pedal wore a hole through the insulation of a couple wires, and it just so happened that it was the signal to the oil gauge that wore through first and would ground out when the clutch pedal hit it - and of course this was all due to that bundle of wires I routed under the steering column. I've got a replacement wire harness that I want to install, but haven't gotten around to it yet, either (there are other things about that re-wire job that I could've done better at the time).
The Following User Says Thank You to Brimstone For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 02-12-2010, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

Adjusting Valves

First complete rebuild, got the rockers adjusted close, fired it up, ran it for a while to break in the cam. Let it idle for a while, it was tapping pretty bad. Went in the parts store to get the manual cause I couldn't remember the order to adjust valves. My brother worked there too, he says, Bud just pop the covers and adjust them running. But that makes such a mess,its a brand new engine. He says were gonna be closing pretty soon, you're gonna be out there in the dark. So I do one side, then the other side, smoke rolling out from under the hood. Brother comes out to see how I'm doing, you're a little late, I got um now. About 5 sec. after I shut it off, the oil on both exhaust manifolds burst into flames. We looked like Laurel & Hardy running around in circles trying to find something to put the fire out. Brother finally found an old blanket and we smothered it out. After that episode a couple of old blankets and a fire extinguisher are requirements with me for a new engine start up. I learned how to adjust the valves properly before startup, so I didn't have to go through that again. Oh, the engine was ok after wiring repairs. Duh, Faux Pas.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:58 AM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:

Whew, it's a long list. I put a too long sheet metal screw right through the quarter panel of our (freshly painted) '60 Caddy convert putting the new top on. Knocked a headlight bucket for the '36 over while putting on the last coat of clear. The bucket, on a stand, fell over onto the hood top panel, laying next to it, rolled down that into another little stand holding one of the cycle type rear fenders, knocking it over, and then fell onto the floor. Like wet, shiney dominos.

There's a lot more, but it's early...
The Following User Says Thank You to flynbrian48 For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 02-13-2010, 07:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbrian48
Whew, it's a long list. I put a too long sheet metal screw right through the quarter panel of our (freshly painted) '60 Caddy convert putting the new top on. Knocked a headlight bucket for the '36 over while putting on the last coat of clear. The bucket, on a stand, fell over onto the hood top panel, laying next to it, rolled down that into another little stand holding one of the cycle type rear fenders, knocking it over, and then fell onto the floor. Like wet, shiney dominos.

There's a lot more, but it's early...
had a young kid helper do something similar, he was fixing something inside the car on the floor and drilled through the top of the gas tank.

Chet
The Following User Says Thank You to T-bucket23 For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 02-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

There was the time I needed to replace the clutch on a air conditioner compressor. I bought the speciality tools to remove and reinstall, had the car in the garage, getting started wife calls down, mini emergency. I drop what I am doing and don't get back to it until the next day. Install the clutch puller, start cranking down on it, stubborn sucker crank harder, SNAP, there goes the snout off of the compressor. I had forgotten to remove the snap ring holding the pulley on. So then I had to buy a new compressor, evac and recharge the system.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1ownerT For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 02-13-2010, 09:51 AM

I got plenty having to do with my profession as a mechanic but I would rather keep a shred of professional pride

On my Mazda I had decided to swap my original intake manifold for one from a later model car because it's rummored to flow better than the older one, better even than the high zoot high output jap version.

So after doing all the mods needed to fit the mani to the motor I start on the swap one cool winter afternoon thinking I can get it done in 20 minutes max, two hours later the sun has set and its well below zero and I need this car to get to work!

I take up a neighbors offer to use his garage and work till midnight trying to find the problem, all I discover is I have a very large and obvious vacuum leak. Except it's not so obvious that I can find it

Hich a ride to work and come back the next day, remove and reinstal the manifold double checking everything... still no go. reinstal the original manifold... no go.

Remove it again and spend an eternity staring at the naked motor, until I see something... something in the valley under the coolant crossover pipe... its an oh so tiny O ring, used to seal the injector tips to the manifold! Unlike most EFI cars the injectors are inside the rail and the rail sits just ablve the manifold flange. 6 little flat O rings fill the gap and seal them to the manifold.

Just one little O ring turned my calm little sleeper import into a backfiring high idling gutless wonder... and it took me two days to figure it out!

This one might be more up your guys alley, I had recently purchased my 1990 T/A. In transits I headed up to meet some friends who were going to help me sort out the hacked up mess that was the sterio wiring.

After meeting at the truck stop for some quality grub we head to Bens house, my friend colin had just bought a 94 Z28 and winted to ride in the TA so we follow Ben back home.

Halfway there I get pulled over turns out they dont like you having intransits on privately purchased cars so I simply got educated... I made a show of removing the tags while the cop left and got back into the car, when all was clear I dropped the ar into low and floored the loud pedal.... I did about half a lap of the empty lot in my very best impression of the 3rd fast and furious movie when the long dead posi decided to come back to life!

In a very short moment a nice gentle one-wheel-peal turned into the slide of death, the TPI didnt even flinch at the instant doubling of traction instead it sent us on a direct intercept course with the nearest concrete encased light pole.

I would like to claim that cat like reflexes and an inate driving ability saved the day but I really just liffted off the gas and started sawing pointlessly at the wheel, I came to a dead stop just an inch or so from the concrete Oh and with out the intransits in place I had the pleasure of being pulled over SIX TIMES by the time I got my plates

And if thats not dumb enough for you I let Ben (who has only really driven his Porsche) take the wheel a few weeks later after a heavy rain! I new it was a bad idea when he couldnt figure out how to shift an automatic!

We start across a street when a stopped car gets rearended by a distracted driver, the first car gets launched at my car with supprising velocity. Ben in his wisdom locks up the brakes and brings us to an instant halt directly infront of the projectile! Hell if he had done nothing we would have cruised right past the whole thing! Again my *** and my fairly straight sheetmetal were saved once again by some un seen hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to LS SIX For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.