Mechanical Faux Pas - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well, I'll add two that I did with the same car.

Back in 1963 I bought a 1962 Chevy station wagon. Small block V-8 and powerglide. It was the family car and I used it to commute from San Carlos to Hunter's Point (San Francisco Naval Shipyard).

One fine day when accelerating from about 45 MPH onto the Bayshore freeway, I floored the gas pedal. The engine acted like it had been shut off for a moment and then caught and accelerated fine. Puzzled as to just what had happened, I repeated the going to WOT and passing gear several times. I got the same results every time. I talked to my buddy, who had more knowledge than me about small blocks at the time. Changed the spark plugs. Changed the wires. Adjusted the point gap, timing and dwell. Finally went to the local Chevy dealer and bought a new distributor. My buddy thought the distributor shaft had too much play in it. Checked air filter. No change. Same engine shut down when first going to WOT and passing gear from around 45 MPH. From a dead stop the acceleration when going to WOT seemed fine.

I finally took the car to the local Shell service station. The mechanic took it out for a test drive. He was gone less than one minute. Drove into the bay. Removed the fuel filter that is behind where the fuel line attaches to the carb and replaced it. Told me to test it out. PROBLEM SOLVED! He charged me about $3.50. I had already spent about three days and over $100.

Sometimes the simplest things that could be wrong are overlooked.

Lesson Learned.

Same vehicle, another day.

Got in the car to go to my other buddy's house to work on his 'T' roadster pickup. (see Jerry's 'T' in my photo album). Turned the ignition key and it just clicked. Bummer. Called Jerry to take me to the parts store to get a starter solenoid. Jacked the car up. Removed the passenger side exhaust pipe to get the starter off. pulled the old solenoid off the starter motor. Went to the parts store. Bought a new solenoid. Drove home. Installed the solenoid, starter and re-connected the exhaust. Let the jack down. Got in the car, turned the ignition switch and...CLICK. Jacked the car back up. Removed the exhaust pipe. Removed the starter. Removed the new solenoid from the starter. Took the starter to the auto parts store and bought a replacement. Got there just at closing time. Drove back home. Installed the new solenoid to the new starter motor. This time I connected some jumper cables to the new un-installed starter to the battery in Jerry's car to test it. Worked great. Crawled back under the car. Re-installed the starter. Re-connected the exhaust. It was dark now so it was difficult to see what I was doing. Let the jack back down. Got in the car. Turned the ignition switch and.......CLICK. What the HEY? The hood was open. Jerry was at the front of the car. He said to me, "Wait a minute." Then he said, "OK try it now." I turned the ignition switch. VROOM!!!!

After dark when attempting to start the engine, Jerry noticed a small spark and some smoke at one of the battery terminals. He removed the battery cable and scraped the inside of the terminal and the outside of the battery post. he then re-connected the battery cable. All was well.

Another lesson learned. Note to myself. Keep it simple stupid.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Frisco For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 09:14 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954sheila
Just about the time I think I've made every mistake possible i seem to make another. But unlike some that I've made in life, I don't seem to regret too many. Cause I learn from them all, from not turning on the bottle before i weld, to not turning it off when I'm done and the bottle leaks out. I've not used enough hardener in the bondo, too using to much. The list goes on, but even tho I may swear a bit at first, I remember the mess up and try not to do it again.
I've learned to turn the tanks off years ago,its an involuntary action now.
Just yesterday I was welding and went into the shop to get something and when I came back and started welding again it sounded like the wind was blowing the gas away from the weld ,since I know I didn't turn the tank off I tried to shield the area(no luck) so I got the nozzle real close and shield it,(no luck)could I be out of gas ?did the hose pop off? No, I'm just a "Phucks up"I turned the tank off again too bad I made about twenty welds (bad ones) before I found out.I "phucksed up" again although I'm also french (real phucks ups) I don't know any words like Faux but it sounds like my favorite and might just be socially acceptable....Am I pronouncing it right or did I faux up again?
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 02-13-2010, 10:31 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Way back when Moby Dick was just a Minnow, I convinced my Dad to let me do the Oil Change on the Family car and he said OK. I was probably about 12 or 13 at the time and when I FINISHED (for lack of a better word) I had managed to drain the Tranny and put way too much Oil in the crankcase !

Yes, he was very upset but when he saw how embarassed and humiliated I was, he went easier on me and decided not to do the corporal punishment thing
The Following User Says Thank You to wretched ratchet For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 02-13-2010, 10:43 AM

When I was a teen (moby was a fish then) a mechanic told me you could use tranny fluid in place of power steering fluid... a while later I couldn't remember exactly which one of the fluids tranny fluid was interchangeable with...Ever put tranny fluid in your master cylinder? I fauxed up again. Now I never forget and always remember the accident every time I top off the fluids.luckily no one got hurt just a few fence posts and a mail box.
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 02-13-2010, 12:13 PM

Last photo:

mistakes

Mi simple .I know nobdy has itt.Trusting the same guy twice...
The Following User Says Thank You to moontanker For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 02-16-2010, 09:37 AM

When I was in my thirties (moby was a small whale but not a dick yet) My budds and I were out on the porch tossing down a few beers talking trash, when someone asked if I got my truck running yet... I said not only is it running great, it runs SOOOO good you dont even have to get inside ,just reach in and turn the key,it'll start right up.Well when I put the new motor and tranny in I just hooked up the cooler lines and never did get to the neautral saftey switch I also forgot it was in drive so when I reached in and turn the key, off it went from outta my back yard towards the woods...try to imagine four slightly tippsy old men chasing a truck through the woods.... just about the time we got the door open the tree stopped it...they get going pretty fast at idle...if it was in my driveway I'd really be in trouble ....So always remember....If your drink ...its hard to drive...Oh yeah, I shaved the door handles too...

Last edited by deadbodyman; 02-19-2010 at 04:57 AM.
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 02-19-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
Come on Dave, I'm talkin bout the funny stuff and what you learned from it. So did you blame your Wife for the paint colors? I'll vote for you for President if you'll run, any party. olnolan
I'm with YOU ....And second that... Dave for prez ....wasnt there a movie called DAVE ????
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 02-19-2010, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

Screws Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bucket23
had a young kid helper do something similar, he was fixing something inside the car on the floor and drilled through the top of the gas tank.
I know a guy who was showing off his new bass boat seats. When another guy pointed out that all the screws were going through the hull, he got a look of holy terror in his eyes. He then proceeded to blame it on his ten year old son. Yeah right, you let your ten year old install the seats?! He still gets ragged about it. olnolan
Old 02-19-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco
Well, I'll add two that I did with the same car.

Sometimes the simplest things that could be wrong are overlooked.

Lesson Learned.

Same vehicle, another day.................... He removed the battery cable and scraped the inside of the terminal and the outside of the battery post. he then re-connected the battery cable. All was well.

Another lesson learned. Note to myself. Keep it simple stupid.
I think we learned at the same school frisco...I'm guilty on both counts...
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 02-19-2010, 09:24 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

One lesson that it has taken many years to soak into this thick gray matter of mine is this - - - "If it Works, don't fix it !"
The Following User Says Thank You to wretched ratchet For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Or simply...When all else fails, read the instructions.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

Faux Pas

I guess I should have included the pronunciation. Its "FOE" "PAW".

I have more of my own to share, but heres a few that involved other folks.

My younger brother dropped an air cleaner wing nut in the carburetor while changing his air filter. He thought it fell on the engine somewhere and bounced off. He cranked it up and moved the car to NOT find it on the ground or anywhere on the engine or frame. He calls me for advise. We pulled the carburetor first and fished around the intake ports with a telescoping magnet, no dice. Pulled the intake and there it was, sitting on top of an intake valve. Cleaned it up, new gaskets and good to go 3 hrs. later. Nowadays if he takes a wingnut off of anything, he immediately puts it in his pocket. HA

When I bought my '57 it had the original 3 speed transmission. Seller said he had brought it to a shop, had it rebuilt and put it in himself. The transmission always had a whine in it, so I figured he was full of bull. When I pulled the engine and transmission, I happened to notice a reddish looking drip on the bottom of the trans, he had filled it with ATF instead of 90w gear oil. Ha

olnolan
Old 03-03-2010, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

we call them "dumb sh##" stories and do share them amongst family and friends...
("faux pax" is a ignorance mistake,,,real men do dumb sh## stuff!!!!)

my favorite for me is I custom hand made a very intricate radio bezel....
carefully mounted the radio to be sure all was centered and squared....
set back and said to myself: "wow that looks good!!!"
then looked again and realized: "dumb sh##!!! you mounted the radio upside down!!!!

now come on guys,,,ya all have similar stories!!!

20/20 hind sight stories doesn't count..

Last edited by red65mustang; 03-03-2010 at 12:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to red65mustang For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
I guess I should have included the pronunciation. Its "FOE" "PAW".

olnolan

Most of us don't do Loosiany French speak ...... and yes, I do know that slang expression after spending a fair amount of work time there, but since this is considered a family forum....

Summer job - split rim wheels - big ones off trucks. To fill them after repairs we used to lean them against the wall with the removable ring where it wouldn't do any damage to people. Yeah it works - up to a point. The guy I was working with put the hose on and stood back a couple of feet and lit up a smoke - then surprise!! Bang - he picked his sorry butt up off the floor ~10 feet from where he started. After we figured he had no injuries beyond his dignity, laughed for an hour afterwards. We lowered the lift on the wheel from that time on.

Another occasion, also a summer job, a local doctor, a real gearhead, brought his Jeep with flotation tires on split rims into the garage. He was helping change them out - bang. Unfortunately, he woke up in the hospital with a major head cut and a concussion tho no lasting damage. We didn't laugh that time

Dave W
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 03-04-2010, 12:35 AM

Last photo:

welding the roll cage on my drag car and was in a tight spot , did you ever wonder why they tell you not to where pants that are made from polyester or nylon if you weld?? well ,I was welding away and my leg kind of felt warm , I thought it was the furnace kicking in blowing the warm air up my leg ( we kept the shop cool all the time in the winter ) then I smelled that sick burn't hair smell , flipped up my helmet to see my pants burning around my ankles and the melted stuff burning on my shoes . lesson , no more dickies work pants while welding , later that week I found out how flammable Flannel shirts are while grinding started the fuzz on the outside on fire , and to trim off the fuzzys at the bottom of your blue jeans if you use a cutting torch . my partner made me go out and buy a leather welding suit after that , my nickname for a while after that wasn't stimpy it was smokey ....
The Following User Says Thank You to stimpy For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.