Mechanical Faux Pas - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 04:26 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

I recently ordered an 04 Cobra IRS for the Rod.
I asked the guy if he had spindles,hubs,rotors and brakes. "Sure" he says, so I told him to send them along.

A couple days later , I got to thinking if it was possible that they MacPherson struts on those cars. With my luck, of course they do and now I have nowhere to hook up the upper control arm.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 123pugsy For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2010, 05:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

pugsy,
"wondering" about parts isn't a "Dumb Sh##" faux pax story....
mine:
you gotta' spend a whole Saturday trying to mount it after it arrives,,, before it dawns on you IT IS a wrong part to be a "DS" story...

which I did do!!! spent a whole afternoon trying to get a 67' bumper to fit on a 65' car!!!
(my wife will never let me forget that one!!!!)

stimpy,,,
LOL,,yeah that's a good one,,,"real men" don't never pay no attention to even reasonable safety measures...
mine:
3/8" bit in the drill,,,rested the aluminum plate piece on my thigh just to get a small correct position dimple started,,,,bit went thru like butter!!!!
now I've got a 3/8" bit about 2" into my thigh,,,"what to do"????
(I flipped the drill over to reverse and used full rpms so it did cauturize it totally coming out)
oh well, one more small scar to go along with the hundred others,,,atleast I did get the hole in the right place!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to red65mustang For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Got a new word for you......"Design Flaw"
In the middle 70s I was a line mechanic for a VW dealership,and over time I got to bragging about how fast I could pull a motor and change the clutch in a Bug.One day close to lunch time I pulled a clutch job so I thought I'll snatch the motor and pull the pressure plate and clutch disc and put it all back in before lunch. Well motor out and pressure plate and disc off the motor and my buddy and the rest of the guys start hollering at me "Come on ,let's go to lunch You can finish that after lunch". Well put my tools in my box, locked it and went to lunch.Well at lunch one of the guys said there was a complete brake job up next on the job board and he was going to try and finish what he was doing and get it .Well the more that I thought about it , I''ll finish the clutch job and snag the brake job cause the brake job paid very good flat rate......Well as soon as I got back,I went in the front to check and make sure there was a brake job on the board ,there was so I went to my stall and from the back jacked the motor back up and set the motor on its mount studs and reinstalled it.Hooked everything backup on the motor and raised the lift up and got under the car and ran the clutch adj wing nut down about a third of its adjustment as I always did, let the lift down enough so i could get in and fire it up and test out the clutch. Pushed the clutch petal and tried to put it in gear....grinding gears was all it got...........no problem needs more adj.....raised car adj clutch more ,let car down still won't go it to gear........Well I did this several more times and nothing........by this time I was pissed and and everything that was coming out of my mouth was not printable in a family magazine......so my buddy (who was also my neighbor and with who I swapped rides with) who has the stall next to me comes over to see what the fuss is all about. So he reaches up and pulls on the clutch arm and he can move it with his hand and he starts to say something but stops in mid sentence and points to the bottom of my roll around tool tray and says "It would work if you had put the disc and pressure plate in you dumb asre!!! and I said" You are full of **** and was in the process of calling him more unprintable words when I looked down at the bottom of my roll around....... There were the two still sealed boxes of the disc and pressure plate laying right where I laid them.....I about died!!!
By this time most of the guys in the shop was at my stall having a very good laugh. Well I started taking it back apart right then and telling every body to shut up keep their mouths shut.I did not want the shop manager to know or any body else up front for that matter to know . Well I pulled the motor again and made things right . So I go to turn my ticket in and to get another job and one of the service writers and the service manager was standing there talking, I put the ticket in the basket and the service manager said "Well you got your clutch job done in record time there.... Doubleclutch " It was all over the dealership by that time.I worked there two more years and was known by Doubleclutch from then on.I told everyone that it was a "design flaw"that they had made it too easy to change parts ,and it made you forget what you were doing
I have ran into various people that I worked with there and they always comment on what I did and my nick name. I have done some other stupid stuff but this was the most memorable .
Kenny
The Following User Says Thank You to Shelby1 For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 03-04-2010, 10:25 AM

Last photo:

Thats A Good One

Hey Kenny, I got a new user name for you, "OL DOUBLECLUTCH". LMAO, thats a good one.

Red, The radio bezel is funny, fabricating things can goof you up sometimes like bending something backwards, we had a name for the scrap pile on construction jobs, it was called "The uh-o pile" as in, thats a nice offset I bent in that conduit but, UH-O I bent it backwards.

Dave, Them split rings are dangerous. I can't remember where, but I remember someone locally was killed by one that flew across a shop.

Stimpy, I ruined one of my favorite bluejean jackets like that. I didn't even know my sleeve was on fire, someone had to tap me on the shoulder. He said, Hey Dude, I don't know if you knew it or not or if you care but I just thought I'd let you know your coat sleeve is on fire!

Pugsy, From what I've seen of your metal fabricating skills, I think you'll easily correct that lil faux pas.

Nolan
Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
pugsy,
"wondering" about parts isn't a "Dumb Sh##" faux pax story....
mine:

No, going ahead and ordering them like I did is.

Of course after I rebuilt my first tranny, I pulled it up to the motor and saw the torque converter bolts lined up exactly with the flexplate holes and thought, hey , isn't that nice?
Since eveything was snug against each other I didn't have to fight twisting and pulling things to line them up.

Goodbye pump.......DUH.
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

Ouch

Oh Man, thats one that hits me in the gut. I had to read it twice before it sunk in what you had done. My condolences on the death of your pump. olnolan
Old 03-05-2010, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the condolences.
It was a wonderful service.
You should have been there.
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I worked with a guy who just a heck of a flat rater. He could really take things apart and air wrench them back together. Unfortunately he had a very short fuse.

One night we were doing a flat rate motor R & R for a local car lot. We had used motor the boss has picked up for us on the floor ready to go in the car. It was one of those that need every bracket changed to the original rather than just use the ones on the replacement motor. We were rapidly using up our flat rate swapping brackets and parts and this guy had a fuse like a Brahma Bull. He was really starting to fume. haha We finally got the motor in and hooked up. He jumps in the car and fires it up. Oh Crap it's got a knock in it. The bomb goes off. Next thing he does is tromp it solid flat on the floor. It runs about 10 sec then, kaboom parts fly all over and oil is running out on the floor. A rod has come out right by the starter and wedged the starter in tight against the flex plate and locked the motor up solid. Well this car was far easier to remove the motor separated from the trans but now we had both locked together by the jambed starter.

He had me torch off the radiator support rather than sawzall it so it would be easier to weld. We literally ripped the motor and trans out. He says you fix the wires and radiator support in the morning and get the trans separated I'll finish the install the next night. Gee thanks
Luckily I was able to sledgehammer a chunk of the block off and the starter came out. The flex plate was badly bent so I just cut it with the torch. I finally got it all apart and ready for him to finish. What a mess. I don't remember what we got for the job but in the end I think I would have been better off calling in sick for 2 days.

Ya just gotta have patience when you work on these things. Sometimes finesse works better than the hammer.
The Following User Says Thank You to bentwings For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 03-10-2010, 11:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red65mustang
pugsy,

stimpy,,,
LOL,,yeah that's a good one,,,"real men" don't never pay no attention to even reasonable safety measures...
mine:
3/8" bit in the drill,,,rested the aluminum plate piece on my thigh just to get a small correct position dimple started,,,,bit went thru like butter!!!!
now I've got a 3/8" bit about 2" into my thigh,,,"what to do"????
(I flipped the drill over to reverse and used full rpms so it did cauturize it totally coming out)
oh well, one more small scar to go along with the hundred others,,,atleast I did get the hole in the right place!!!!
my buddy has 47+ stiches and a rebuilt kneecap from trimming a 2X4 with a circular saw across his knee , red mist and it took a few seconds before he realized what he did . milwaukee gear drive with a carbide didn't miss a beat . ( he wanted me to clean the saw for him afterwords ,:vomit:
The Following User Says Thank You to stimpy For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 12-30-2010, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

Revival

Thought I'd revive this thread for fun. I also see that a new message pops up on old threads to keep folks from re-answering old questions, cool!

Well this is my latest faux pas. Daughter asked me to put new brake pads on her Nissan before they get so low they tear up the rotors. First thought is, dam I hate working on that foreign crap. Second thought is, dam she must actually listen to some of the things I say. Good call sweetie.

She even picks up genuine Nissan pads at a nice discount through a friend.

I decided to do a wheel at a time and was pleasantly surprised that you can pull one bolt and flip the calipers open, making installation a breeze.

In 30 minutes or so I'm on the last wheel and just happened to notice something shiny on the back of one of the old pads. Well Hell, I realized the old pads had a snap on anti squealer plate and the new pads didn't come with them. Had to pull the first three wheels back apart and install the plates on the new pads. Duh olnolan
Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN
Thought I'd revive this thread for fun. I also see that a new message pops up on old threads to keep folks from re-answering old questions, cool!

Well this is my latest faux pas. Daughter asked me to put new brake pads on her Nissan before they get so low they tear up the rotors. First thought is, dam I hate working on that foreign crap. Second thought is, dam she must actually listen to some of the things I say. Good call sweetie.

She even picks up genuine Nissan pads at a nice discount through a friend.

I decided to do a wheel at a time and was pleasantly surprised that you can pull one bolt and flip the calipers open, making installation a breeze.

In 30 minutes or so I'm on the last wheel and just happened to notice something shiny on the back of one of the old pads. Well Hell, I realized the old pads had a snap on anti squealer plate and the new pads didn't come with them. Had to pull the first three wheels back apart and install the plates on the new pads. Duh olnolan

Well at least with the easy one bolt out and flip em up, shouldn't took long at all.
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Thanks for the nissan brake tip olnolan, I just handed over keys to a 98 ultima for my 16 year old daughter I know that car will need a brake job soon and I don't need anymore stress as she is now driving solo since she got her licence on Tuesday,,,man I can hardly believe it,,,hope that does not turn into a Faux Pas on my part
The Following User Says Thank You to Custom10 For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 12-30-2010, 02:02 PM

Last photo:

In my earlier years, I had a VW powered sand rail, Chenoweth tube frame. You use the rear torsion housing off the VW bug, and the tube frame gets welded to that.

I started to have problems with the throttle sticking WOT, only when climbing steep sand dunes, on one weekend, but finished the weekend, by avoiding steep climbs.
I get the buggy home, and try to find the problem. Make sure there is no binding or sand interfering with the throttle cable. Make some minor adjustments, have to go and test it.

I need a steep hill to test it. We board horses, and have a manure pile behind the barn. So, I go and climb the manure pile. The throttle sticks, WFO (Wide "adjective" Open). The buggy does a wheel stand, and over the back, landing upside down, on the roll bars, at the bottom of the manure pile, with my head in the horse ,,, manure.
Push the buggy right side up, no damage, back into the shop, wash my head off, more tweaking, test it again.
Same results, including having to hose off my head again.

I give up, and take the buggy to the dunes again the next weekend. Driving it around, the problem is getting worse, and finally, it will not even idle. After looking looking for the throttle cable being jammed, my friends, and me notice cracked welds, where the horns that support the engine and transmission attach to the rear torsion housing. This allows the engine and transmission to drop down a little, and since the throttle cable is not in a housing in that area, every time the engine drops down, it pulled the throttle cable, opening the throttle.

So, I slowly drive back to camp, and in the hour or so my friend is out playing with his dune buggy, I take my buggy apart, almost down to a bare frame. My friend gets back, we load the buggy frame into a pickup, drive onto town, and find a guy that reluctantly agrees to weld it. Upon seeing no gas tank, no motor, no battery, and a frame we can just easily turn upside down, he happily welds it, and only charges us $25.00 for his time and trouble. That afternoon, the buggy was back together, without a sticking throttle.
The Following User Says Thank You to DanielC For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 12-31-2010, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

Ha Ha Ha

You smell that, smell what, I don't smell nothing. HaHa. That job just " went to xxxx". As in ca ca. Smelly experience no doubt. You finished yet? Yep, I'm dung. Only I had to do it twice to realize I'm in deep doodoo. Did I tell you about my friend, lovingly referred to as "PooPoo". Now thats funny stuff Daniel! Nolan
Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 AM

Last photo:

Da Hood

Did a water pump job a while back on a p/u I had. Finished after dark, left the engine idling while I cleaned up, pulled the hood down to get it good and hot to check for leaks. Came back out and decided to run it around the block to circulate the coolant and recheck coolant levels. Drove down my road to the secondary road, took off and revved first, then second. At the top of second gear about 50-60 the hood flies open, can't see nothing. Jamming brakes and looking out the window to get it stopped ain't easy! Hood kinked, hinges ok, ego bruised, kicked own butt. Went home and nursed all symptoms with liquid antiseptic. Dam, I hate it when a plan Don't come together!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.