Mechanical Faux Pas - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 12:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Second dune buggy story.
It will not start. Spark is good, smell gas as the exhaust pipe, but engine is cranking a little slow. The rhythm of cranking tells me the compression is still good. But the battery is a little weak.
The driveway to this barn goes straight down from the county road, has a bend to the right, and up into the barn.
So, rather than try to start it by cranking it, we push it up a small hill, by the entrance into the barn, and the plan is to roll it down the hill, pop the clutch, and start it that way, and drive up the driveway, toward the county road.
I get in the dune buggy. roll down the hill, pop the clutch, it fires, and starts.

THE THROTTLE IS STUCK WFO!

Going around the corner, the buggy starts to fish tail to the right, barely missing my friends new Ford F-250 4 wheel drive, and then I correct that, the buggy fish tails left, into the fence, wiping out fence posts, fence rails, and kicking them out into the pasture, like match sticks.
I finally turned the ignition off, and coast to a stop.
The next project I did that day was to fix fence.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DanielC For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Ha Ha Ha

The flying fence posts were enough to make you soil yourself. At least you didn't land in the turds again. olnolan
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

Old thread; but what the heck.

My Mom told me this over dinner the other night. My Dad had a 69 Opel GT around 1978 or so. He had had it in the garage to do a brake job, finally got it done around 8pm and takes it for a test drive. We live out in farm country so he goes down a road between 2 fields at "significantly faster than the posted speed" (mom). He hit the brakes and the pedal went right to the floor. Still plenty of room to stop, hes pumping the pedal and downshifting like a maniac. The reason he hit the brakes in the first place is the road ends in a T with a cross street. Staring him straight in the face are a ditch, 6 oak trees and the farmers house. He was able to swing the car wide enough to almost make it but still slid into the ditch. The farmers sons and my dad were able to manhandle the car back onto the road; but my Mom used to babysit for their family and he got blown in. "Dad were you scared?" "No; I didnt have time, I was more mad than anything, and just hoped no one was coming the other way to hit me. The words he chose weren't 'faux pas' but 'SNAFU'
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Last photo:

Whoa

Thanks for starting this old thread up again. Whats really great about these faux pas stories is that so far none have resulted in serious injury.

You would not believe how lucky I've been in weird situations. I have had a brake line fail in two different vehicles through the years with no accident in either.

Many years back a rubber brake line popped on an old Fairlane I had, pedal to the floor, went right through a stop sign before I thought to jerk the emergency brake handle.

Not long back I started up my old motorhome. I always set the parking brake on it. I warmed it up, dropped it in gear, released the e-brake and started rolling forward. When I hit the brake pedal it went to the floor, luckily I just pulled the e-brake immediately. A metal brake line on the proportioning valve had a hole rubbed through it from one of transmission metal lines. No telling what would have happened if it would have failed on the highway.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM

Last photo:

Not wanting to rely on just the warning (idiot) light for oil pressure, I installed an after-market oil pressure gauge in an old Corolla. There was a sending unit on the block. I removed the sender, installed a tee fitting, then replaced the sender on one side of the tee, and the nylon tubing that came with the gauge on the other side of the tee. I wasn't sure about using the nylon line, but figured if it came with the gauge, it must be ok.
Fast forward about a month. Driving one day, I turn on to the on-ramp of the interstate, and feel the back end sliding around some. I thought to my self, that I had not seen any sand or oil on the road that would have accounted for the sliding, I wasn't going that fast. As I reached the top of the on-ramp, I saw the warning light flash briefly - suddenly it all made sense, I headed for the shoulder of the road, and killed the ignition. The line had split right at the tee (the one I tightened just a little more to make sure it wouldn't leak). Oil had sprayed out all over the passenger side of the engine bay, and onto the road, which I ran over, which is why I was sliding!
Had to hike a couple of miles to get oil, took the tee out, and screwed the sender back where it had been originally. Engine held 4 quarts, including filter - it took 3 3/4 to fill it!
About a month later, my brother came into town, and I loaned him the car to get around town in. Forgot to tell him about the gauge. He was about a mile from the house when he saw the gauge at zero! He called me immediately, thinking he may have somehow ruined my car. One snafu gave us both ulcers!
The Following User Says Thank You to sedanbob For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

Oil Mist

Bob, Thats a nasty mess to clean up too. I've been there. You made me remember an oil slick I created with my old Challenger. I had put a brass tee and nipple for an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. Cruising on the highway one day, I watched in horror as the oil pressure started slowly dropping. Killed the engine and coasted to the side of the road. The brass nipple had split in the threads and shot an oil slick all over the firewall and engine. Had to hitch a ride to the parts store for the necessary fittings to repair on the roadside. Replaced with steel nipple and fitting, to this day I don't use brass fittings for that application. That would be a faux pas.Nolan
Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

my ex girlfriend poured a bottle of rain-x winter de-icer windshield washer fluid into her radiator expansion tank...orange fluid and green coolant make a brown mess LOL
Same girl drove with her parking brake barely dragging for weeks LOL rear wheel was SMOKIN one cold winter night
Me: WTF? (touches the rim -- DUH hot; stupid!)
Her: humph! Its been doing this every night for like a week...stupid car

OY!
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

lol

Maybe this is why Dex-cool has been getting such a bad rap?
Nolan
Old 04-23-2013, 10:24 AM
boatbob2

Faux Pas............

I built a fiberglass 23 T Roadster,at the auto craft shop,when i was stationed in Okinawa,when i came back to the states,i was assigned to Redstone Arsenal,Alabama,there was a very bad thunderstorm one night,with a LOT of rain,the cover blew off the Roadster,and the rain filled my air cleaner to the top,i pulled it off,the carb was actually full of the rain water.My wife had just finished washing the bed sheets,and hung them on the line to dry, so,being the smart A%%,that i am,i pulled all the plugs,and using the key,turned the motor over,SHOT CARBON all over the bedsheets,it took a LONG time for my wife to get over that,but the positive to this tale,was that the water never got into the engine oil...
The Following User Says Thank You to boatbob2 For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Well... When I was 18 I worked for a constitution company as a diesel mechanic,, The two brothers that owned the Company was like my dads,,, Well they also had crawfish ponds on the side,,, Well they needed me to go to the ponds and bring them a few things,,

You couldn't get to them any other way but by this very nice jeep they had as a Company car,, Just to use for checking the Cow's or the ponds,,

I went to the ponds to bring them what they needed,, Easiest way to get to them was to ride through the pond,, So when I got to the pond it wasn't to deep.. But was full of water,, I open the hood and sprayed the wires with WD-40,, I knew things were going to be getting wet,, Well I didn't lock the two side lock's on the hood because I wasn't going to be going fast..

Ran back and forth all day for them,, At the end of the day,, We all came out, Everyone left but me and the big boss,,, He said lock the gate and meet me back at the shop... Will do !!! He left, And I was taking care of the gate,, I got into the jeep, Got on it a little just to clean the wheels off, Stopped to unlock the wheels,, Got back into the jeep and started on my way back to the shop,,

At around 40 mph I think it was,,,, The ****** hood tried to come off the jeep and on a jeep the hood would lay ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE WINDSHIELD !!!! busted the windshield ALL IN MY FACE, I didn't know what the h*** was going on, But I had this funny feeling I was in trouble..,,,

I then stopped the jeep layed the hood down and what was left to the wind shield,,

went back to the shop,, Well the boss that said meet me at the shop was waiting for me at the shop.. When I came rolling in with the windshield laying down,, He had this Look on his face, And I knew he wasn't happy,, All he said was... You don't even have to tell me you didn't lock down the side lock's on the hood.. I didn't say a thing !!!!!

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 04-23-2013 at 10:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

HaHaHa

Bob, Bet she wanted to wring your neck. But on the other hand, at least you got a big supply of shop rags!Nolan
Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 AM

Last photo:

Hood

Randy, When you're going down the road and the hood suddenly covers the windshield, I believe your heart also stops until you get the vehicle stopped safely. Ask me how I know. Nolan
The Following User Says Thank You to OLNOLAN For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

I had three hood tried to fly off the cars already,,

This one was mine,,
I had this pinto one time I had put in a 302 was a very fun car,,, Well after getting everything right,, I wanted to get it painted,, I had a friend paint it RED with gold and silver flakes,, Came out very nice,, I got the car back from him one day,, I didn't bolt on the hood yet,, My mother called me and we talked for a while,, She said bring your car so I can see it,, I said the hood wasn't bolted on yet,, Now she lived right around the block from me,, I said Ok !!!

So I thought about it for a Min and said to myself,, If I go really slow down the street the hood shouldn't go any where's..

Well I went down the street very slow like I planned,,,, I bet I wasn't doing 5 mph,,, When the hood took off straite up in the air,, It didn't flip over like the rest did,,, IT WENT STRAITE UP ABOUT 30 FEET !!!!!!

All I could think was... OH ******* !!!!! I could see this thing landing right on top my new painted roof...

So the car guy I am,,, Stuck my foot into it FAST !!!! to get out from under it... Now this little pinto would run...

All I could think now is the hood would have to get re-painted,, Looked behind me and seen it land flat on the street...

Got out the car and picked up my hood and went home... Not even a scratch on ANYTHING...
OLNOLAN (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLNOLAN View Post
Randy, When you're going down the road and the hood suddenly covers the windshield, I believe your heart also stops until you get the vehicle stopped safely. Ask me how I know. Nolan
I know what you mean !!!!!

I was in my dads 1975 chevy truck one time going down the road, Doing around 65 mph and the hood decided to fly open,,, First thing I could do was stick my head out the window,,

I pull on side the road got out and tried to close the hood,, Well you know how much this hoods like to bend in the middle..

I tried to pull it down and IT BENT IN THE MIDDLE !!!!!

I couldn't get it to close for nothing, And knew I still had to drive home,, So I got on the roof and jumped down on the hood,, Now at that time I only weigh about 110 lbs WET !!!

When I jumped on it, It did come down..
I tied it with a peice of rope he had in the back... And when I got back He said.. WHAT THE H*** DID YOU DO TO MY TRUCK ??? And I said ... I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING BUT ******* IN MY PAINT'S !!!!!
OLNOLAN (04-23-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

When I was in college, I had a '55 Chevy - 283. It was running erratically one evening - I opened to hood to see what was wrong - the old plug wires were arcing all over the place - a regular light show! The next day I went to the auto parts store and bought a new set - don't remember the brand, but they were bright red. The old wires had been run over the rams-horn exhaust manifolds, so that's where I ran the new ones - no looms. Got the wires installed, then headed off to school. About half way there the car started running erratically like it had with the old wires. When I opened the hood, I saw that all the new wires got hot and limber, and had sagged enough to melt onto the exhaust manifolds - arcing all over again. I had to get to school, and didn't have access to a store anywhere close, so I tied strings to the wires to anything I could find that would keep the wires away from the manifolds and from each other. It looked like my engine had been attacked by a giant spider on drugs! All my pretty red wires lasted about 1/2 hour!
The Following User Says Thank You to sedanbob For This Useful Post:
OLNOLAN (04-23-2013)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.