Mechanical fuel injection?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2002, 07:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Mechanical fuel injection??

OK! chew on this one.. I've got a pro street 69 camaro.. the motor is a 454, steel crank, manley h beam rods and weisco 12:1 pistons, the heads are brodix bb2's with the bill mitchell cnc port intake and exhaust, the cam is comp cams 741/714, 276/285 @50.. I bought a enderle bug hat and intake setup with 500 fogger plumed.. my question is the right mechanical fuel pump.. I've never messed with mechanical fuel injection but im looking forward to playing with it.. What pump would be in the ball park for running gas. 80a 110?? suggestions.. the new barry grant mech pumps?? waterman.. No plans to run methanol as of yet...

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: colaus ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2002, 05:13 AM

Last photo:

before you do anything you absolutely have to contact kinsler at www.kinsler.com and ask for their catalouge, they can hook you up wit thr right size pump and every thing you need
including the coolest thing in mechanical injection. a kinnsler dial-a-jet that allows you to change between 8 jets at the turn of a knob, with the engine running!! to allow for changes in temperature and barometric pressure.

give them a call, the service is excellent and they are pros with 30 years experience..
Old 10-23-2002, 06:06 AM

You WILL need a pump for constant-flow fuel injection. A stock type pump or an electric one will NOT do the job. Why not contact Enderle ?
Old 10-23-2002, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

yes you need to do a lot of research before you attempt to use mech fuel injection, it's kind of a lost art anymore. find some modified roundy round shops to talk to, also Kinsler here in michigan
Old 10-23-2002, 07:08 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

colaus,

go to hre.com This site and forum is devoted to mechanical fuel injection. The site master has written "the book" on mechanical fuel injection be it Hilborn, Enderle or other. The inhabitants of the forum live on it so there is a wealth of info there for the asking. There is even a setup diagram of the lines and by-passes and fuel pump. In my humble opinion I would start with alcohol right away as it is very forgiving as far as mixture. It will at least run when very rich and simple will not when way too lean. I think it is cheaper too. Check this forum out, ask some questions and you will be happy.

You will like the mechanical injection as it is pretty easy to tune and adjust. You just need the right stuff and set up to get started.
I ran both blown and air breathers for years and enjoyed them. Now it is much easier as you can go by the book so to speak.

bentwings

Let us know how you do.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the links... i'm hearing a pg-150 would be the right choice for my motor...
Old 10-25-2002, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

Cool

One thing to keep in mind is that you have no idle circuit with mechanical fuel injection setups, so you'll get a definate stumble when you try and accelerate from a stop sign. Most were designed for WOT (wide open throttle) use. It's not impossible, just a challenge to make it work smoothly.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:47 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Question

jalopy,
Please don't take this as an assult, I just want to clarify a few things about the mechanical injectors. It's not that I know all there is to know about them, far from it, but I ran them for a long time both blown and air breathers and they really do work and are quite easy to work with. A lot of bad rep is given to these things due to not realy getting into them. After all they have been around since before WW2 which is a lot longer than most of us even me.
You are right in that there is not an idle circuit as such but keep in mind that the mechanical injector operates at much higher pressure than a carb and it is constant flow. In other words pressurized fuel is instantly available when the throttle is opened. This is regulated by various by-passes and jets as well as nozzle sizes. At part throttle the barell valve provides a varible restriction to give part throttle cruise without loading up the motor. This is easily adjusted and is how the part throttle fuel is managed. The fuel does not have to wait to be forced out of the carb jets by diferential pressure. ie vacuum. Correct, it takes a little getting used to and an understanding of how the things work, but let me tell you the throttle response of a well tuned system has to be felt to be believed. Especially on alcohol or nitro. To set one up for the street is not easy nor recommended but it can be done if you can pay for the gas (or alcohol). these are race units and using them for street is not what they are intended for.
Adding nitrous adds a handfull of other varibles that has to be dealt with. Again not difficult be you have to know the system.
anyhow, again I just want to clear the air and I don't want to start big beef. As I noted previously, the forum at HRE.com is just for mechanical injection and the group there knows the topic well.
bentwings
Old 10-30-2002, 12:25 AM

Thanks, I am looking forward to the task at hand, I have heard nothing but good things around throttle responce once it is set up correctly, I plan to send my hat, injectors, barrel valve, high speed lean out and pump out to be flowed to give me a good starting point... again thanks for the input..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.