mechanical fuel pump issues - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 05:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

mechanical fuel pump issues

Can a mechanical fuel pump work intermittently? I have been having fuel pressure issues with my camaro. Sometimes it just looses fuel pressure for a while and you have to let the car idle for a while or feather the throttle a lot for it to come back. At first I thought it may be vapor locking but it did it the other morning when it was first started. I installed an electric in-line pump the other day but didn't get it all wired up. A while ago I was on my way to the store and it lost pressure again so I ran a wire to the electric pump and almost immediately got fuel to my clear filter so I assume it is not a line issue.

I am going to go ahead and put a new pump on it but I was just wondering if it was even possible for them to only work sometimes. I would have though they would be a go or no go item.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 PM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

Use the elect. pump to prime your carb.This is what I do, when I turn the key to the start position,the elect. fuel pump primes the the carb. with 7 psi. of fuel. then Ill give it a second or two to build pressure,then start it up.Dont need the choke.I yanked all of the choke crap out of the primarys.( Eddy carb.).You will have to use a relay.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 PM

Last photo:

It doesn't always loose pressure when starting it does it while driving too. I know these carbs are known for the gas draining back or evaporating in the bowls and making cold starts a pain sometimes. My dad has on on his 88 mustang and it takes a while to start after sitting due to this. My issue is more when driving then sitting thats why I am blaming the pump.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.