Mechanics Gloves?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 05:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Mechanics Gloves??

I hate cleaning scrubbing my skin off my hands after every wrenching session so a few years ago I started using mechanics gloves. They were a pain to get used to for the fine work but I'm accustomed to them now. My problem is what are a good brand?? I seem to wear them out in a few weeks. I've tried some of the cheap ones and some of the fancy velcro everything models and I still wear the tips of the fingers through in short order. I'm asking for some advice from the group. What are the best gloves you have found?? Thanks for any info you can throw my way.

SimS

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Last photo:

That is about the amount of use I am getting out of them also. The finger tips are the first place they fail, as you would suspect. I have just been buying them from the local Auto Zone. I tried some Craftsman gloves from Sears, but they turned my hands black so I returned them.

Vince

Last edited by 302/Z28; 02-20-2006 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

In our shop every one wears the blue nitrile gloves. Cost is fractional compared to the mechanix gloves! The thicker ones work great when you are working on tougher stuff. While the thinner gloves give your hands the sensitivity you need when working on various things or starting nuts and bolts in a blind spot. Just another 2cents worth.

Last edited by TwistedTrbl; 02-19-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Bowtie or Die!

Last photo:

I use the ones they sell on the Mac tool truck. rubber gloves like the blue ones. They work ok.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:13 PM
OldSchool MotorHead

For general repair, I used the SAS latex gloves, but for engine work, I used the Thickster gloves. The great thing about gloves used for repair (for the manufacturer) is that they are going to wear out soon, and then they get to sell another pair. It is known as a wear item, kinda like wiper blades or brake pads.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Bugs

Gloves

I finally broke down and got me a pair of them to try out, I got a pair at Lowes made by Kobalt, I have only used them once to do repair work and that was putting in a new radiator in my wifes Jimmy, I liked them, I had no problem starting the bolts and what have you, they have reinforced leather finger tips, I also used them to move around a bunch of concrete blocks without doing any damage to them, they worked well for this too, price was 10.00 bucks
Old 02-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I am going to get some of those Kobalt brand mechanic gloves at Lowes Bugs and give them a try.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Bugs

I think you will like them Henery,for the price you can't go wrong, when I got through with the radiator my hands were nice and clean and no Boo Boo's, Can't say the same for my arms, I guess I need a pair of arm covers as well
Old 02-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I am going to have to start wearing them...when ya get my age your skin gets thin..I can't do anything anymore with out bleeding like a stuck hog.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:19 AM

I started out wearing those cheap jersey gloves,was before the mechanix were out. Now I use them. If I am painting I use the nitrile gloves. Not those crappy ones Summit sells though,had to find some thicker ones,paint thinner kills thin ones.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Bugs

I thought I was the only one with thin meat Henery, when I got done with the radiator transplant, like I said, my hands looked fine but my arms looked like hamburger meat It don't take much to make stawberry's under the skin does it
Old 02-27-2006, 06:31 PM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

mechanics gloves

I buy my gloves from a "glove guy" at the swap meets.I buy cheap industrial gloves,usually $5.00 for a dozen pairs. I have even bought kevlar gloves at this price.I wear gloves for just about every job I do,and when they get greasy or worn,I just throw them away and get out another pair.I wear nitrile gloves for painting,bondoing and sanding,I get them at harbor freight,they are pretty weak,dont stand up to lacquer thinner very well,but they are ok for most jobs. The first thing I do when I enter my garage is put on gloves .I just cant justify the price of "mechanics" gloves,when they only last a couple of weeks.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:45 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

I use the safe-grip (not the diamond grip junk) blue nitrile rubber gloves. Depending on what kind jobs I'm doing I can reuse'em a couple days in a row. Not realy solvent resistant, but they don't fall apart, just loosen up in the fingers a bit.They cost about ten bucks a box (fifty pairs) off the tool truck. It's real nice to just peel'em off and not worry about leaving paw prints/smudges on customers cars. I can't use regular gloves, they drive me nuts, that and they saturate with oil too easy.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Bugs

My wife wore my Kobalts yesterday while helping me pour a section of my shops footer so I'll bet they aren't long for this world But it was worth ten bucks for the extra help, I'm gonna make a concrete finisher out of her before it's over with, she likes to play in that stuff
Old 02-28-2006, 12:35 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

At work we sell a brand called caiman-they are all I wear, and come in black w/white leather or black w/dear skin-reasonably cheap, they last about 6-8 Saturdays, and then I replace them-my wife took a pair the other day and really likes 'em-looks like my Glove Fund will take a hit

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.