media blast or dip - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 04:36 PM

Last journal entry: 30 coupe pics.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

media blast or dip

hey guy's just picked up my 30 coupe body and am wondering pro's and cons of the acid dip or media sand blast. It's got rot at one of the quarter lower panels and both of the lower cowl panels. Pretty heavy rust on the upper rear portion of the top and heavy rust in the rear welds [sp] thoe it doesn't look like it has holes. I found someone to replace my panels and chop the top but I would like to get it cleaned up first.also before I get carried away is there a company out there that is making the inside wood braces to replace this old stuff. Well that should keep me busy for a while. Im off to get a camera so I can take pictures of how the wood is installed so I can start taking this baby apart. Pops.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2007, 05:00 PM
68firebird

Last photo:

I would acid dip it if that's an option. You have to wash it extremely well afterward to neutralize the acid then coat it in epoxy ASAP. Media Blasting can warp large panels, blow out thin spots, and leave rust behind. There are pros and cons to both options.

Acid dip can also thin panels if they leave it in too long so make sure you talk to customers of the place you plan on going to.

On the other hand I always send frames, suspension and heavy gauge stuff out to get media blasted.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:55 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I personally would not have any body dipped, as liquid has a history of showing itself at the worst times. You also cannot get protection into all the areas that the dip got to.

On the other hand, you need to be careful with media blasting. There are people that know what they are doing, and there are some that will ruin the project. Make sure what they are going to blast it with. Make sure it isn't soda, as there have been alot of problems with that. If possible avoid sand also, as most will use too high pressure and don't know what they are doing.

There are medias that are safe for that job. You just need to find someone that knows what is best.

Aaron
Old 12-17-2007, 10:29 PM

I used the dip method on my current project. It does a great job and only does its job on rust, not clean steel.

You can see a picture of the results about halfway down the page:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2203663

Another advantage of dipping the car is that you can do all the small bits and pieces that you will need to clean up. This is where dipping has a big price advantage over blasting. It takes a lot of time for the blaster to sequentially clean all the little bits of a car. The tank method does all the small parts simultaneously and will not alter the surface finish like blasting.

As to those who worry about the chemical leaching out and destroying apaint job. the way I figure it, you are going to have the car in primer for a few years if you are like most of us. If it does not wreck the primer in that time, it should be good to go.

You can get pretty creative if you want to rust-proof the inside of a panel that has been dipped. You CAN NOT get creative about sandblasting the rust out of a closed section that could be harboring rust that will keep working after the resto.

Pete
Old 12-17-2007, 10:53 PM

Last photo:

media blast or dip

Each type of rust removal has it's good & bad points. The main thing is to make sure you have a good professional who knows what he is doing you'll be fine with either one. Think about the intended purpose of the vehicle. Is it a show car or a street car, how much do you want to spend on the car. Were I live, dipping is extremely expensive, sometimes it's 4 times as much as blasting. Media blasting is usually around $1500 for a complete job. If a budget build is what you want, have it blasted. Blasting works great provided you have a guy who knows what he is doing & doesn't warp your panels. I have had little problems with it.
Dipping is the ultimate but is very costly. Check out how much it is in your area. It is the only way to clean out the seams & behind all the stuff a media blaster can't do. If you have it dipped, make sure it is cleaned properly then do all the metalwork. Once the metalwork is done have it "quick dipped" & cleaned again, then have it dipped in zinc/phosphate as well. It will never rust again, or at least that is the theory.
Best wishes on your project. Remember to have fun with it.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:28 PM

Last journal entry: 30 coupe pics.
Last photo:

Dip or blast

I really appreciate the help guy's, I had my 54 ford pu cab blasted and was pretty happy with the way it came out. So I think I am going to go with the media blasting. There appears to be only a few spots where blasting won't get to like the quarters and the cowl corners but I am going to have to replace some skin down there anyway . Doors are pretty much open so I'll pay a little more to get them to do a little better job on them. thanks and I'll keep you guy's informed as to how it comes out. Pops.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.