To media blast or not to media blast? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: Squirrels...
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 26
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To media blast or not to media blast?

Taking my car apart and deciding if I want to media blast it all. Can't really decide but wanted some input on whether I should send it off or buy a sand blaster.

Opinions?

Any recommendations around Austin?

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2009, 11:33 PM
001mustang's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TN
Posts: 792
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you media blast thin sheet metal make sure you keep gun moving. If you have a powerful blaster and stay in one spot too long you can warp metal. Your compressor needs proper plumbing to prevent water from mixing with media. I slope line towards compressor so condensed water will go to compressor tank not to the media.

Media blasting a whole car makes a giant plum and media will get in every crevice. Consider using water mist to keep dust down. Breathing sand dust is hazardous so proper breathing apparatus is a must.

I would remove bulk of paint with a DA sander. Again keep it moving to prevent panel warpage. I would use media blaster to clean metal in hard to get to areas. I use a grinder with a wire wheel from welding supply store to quickly remove paint and rust on many hard to get to areas (eye protection is a must).

I would consider a chemical stripper but the ones I have are not effective. I don't know what is the best paint stripper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Cape Cod Bob's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 1,135
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks: 0
Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Have u considered soda blasting. Saw this on Truck U ,I think.. They do it outside and not worry about the mess,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 PM
001mustang's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TN
Posts: 792
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I considered soda blasting but I think it is too whimpy and expensive for me. I understand that soda will not remove rust effectively. It costs about $0.80/lb which can start adding up fast since it is not aggressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: california
Age: 45
Posts: 17
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soda vs Sand

Soda blasting does not remove rust. But it does however remove everything else from sheet metal. Soda blasting is truly the way to go. First the soda residue acts as a rust inhibitor, keeping the flash rusting away for approx. 5-6 weeks. When you are ready, you can remove the residue with soap and water. Because of flash rusting. I recommend a product called holdtight 102. This product removes all salt,and residue from the sheet metal giving 70 % better adhesion than without using. That goes for non soda blasted metal as well. Washing the vehicle with holdtight 102 will allow the vehicle to dry without flash rusting. You then have about a 5 day window to get your project to the body shop before flashing starts. In my experience proper residue removal has insured fantastic results. My painter does all his normal pre paint prep, and my 2 vehicles have turned out better than great. Don't let some sandblaster in the forum tell you soda blasting is no good. Sandblasting is a process of the past. It is known for causing cancer, as well as damaging sheet metal. The world is evolving and so is the automotive restoration business. In southern california where I am from every top hot rod , and muscle car builder uses soda blasting for there resto projects. So Cal speed shop, Barry's speed shop, and dozens of other high end speed shops must know something about quality. They have been around for years. They build the best. They all use soda blasting. Enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Jon's Avatar
Jon Jon is offline
Hotrodders.com Administrator
 
Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Age: 37
Posts: 3,206
Wiki Edits: 7314

Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
This is covered in the wiki:

Media blasting
Soda blasting
Stripping paint
Rust
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 PM
001mustang's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TN
Posts: 792
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by push rod
Soda blasting does not remove rust. But it does however remove everything else from sheet metal. Soda blasting is truly the way to go. First the soda residue acts as a rust inhibitor, keeping the flash rusting away for approx. 5-6 weeks. When you are ready, you can remove the residue with soap and water. Because of flash rusting. I recommend a product called holdtight 102. This product removes all salt,and residue from the sheet metal giving 70 % better adhesion than without using. That goes for non soda blasted metal as well. Washing the vehicle with holdtight 102 will allow the vehicle to dry without flash rusting. You then have about a 5 day window to get your project to the body shop before flashing starts. In my experience proper residue removal has insured fantastic results. My painter does all his normal pre paint prep, and my 2 vehicles have turned out better than great. Don't let some sandblaster in the forum tell you soda blasting is no good. Sandblasting is a process of the past. It is known for causing cancer, as well as damaging sheet metal. The world is evolving and so is the automotive restoration business. In southern california where I am from every top hot rod , and muscle car builder uses soda blasting for there resto projects. So Cal speed shop, Barry's speed shop, and dozens of other high end speed shops must know something about quality. They have been around for years. They build the best. They all use soda blasting. Enough said.
So how do you remove rust in hard to get to crevices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2009, 06:23 AM
shine's Avatar
SPI Thug
 

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: bluff dale texas
Posts: 2,742
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 234 Times in 186 Posts
i do it for a living. i use several different medias depending on what condition the car is in. sand is not one of them and only a moron would risk the hazards of using sand. not to mention that sand contains caustic salts and creates chloride ions which promote rust. do your research as this has been discussed many times here . use soda and your on your own in this industry. it is the least favorable way of removing paint and leaves no anchor pattern not to mention the adhesion problems you can run into. never put anything on a body you can not paint over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 PM
001mustang's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TN
Posts: 792
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
i do it for a living. i use several different medias depending on what condition the car is in. sand is not one of them and only a moron would risk the hazards of using sand. not to mention that sand contains caustic salts and creates chloride ions which promote rust. do your research as this has been discussed many times here . use soda and your on your own in this industry. it is the least favorable way of removing paint and leaves no anchor pattern not to mention the adhesion problems you can run into. never put anything on a body you can not paint over.
What media do you use to remove surface rust from crevices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2009, 05:34 AM
shine's Avatar
SPI Thug
 

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: bluff dale texas
Posts: 2,742
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 234 Times in 186 Posts
Starblast or green lightning works well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 211
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 001mustang
I considered soda blasting but I think it is too whimpy and expensive for me. I understand that soda will not remove rust effectively. It costs about $0.80/lb which can start adding up fast since it is not aggressive.
Just because it isn't as aggressive as most other abrasives out there doesn't mean it isn't efficient at removing paint. Soda is, more times than not, quicker at removing paint then most medias out there. Not really going to get into another fuss about soda, as it has been beaten to death in many threads. Do your research on everything and make your own decision. But I will say that I will stand by any vehicle that I have sodablasted.

Last edited by jeremyb; 10-10-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 10-10-2009, 11:52 AM
001mustang's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TN
Posts: 792
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
Starblast or green lightning works well.
Thanks Mr. Shine,

That's the info I was looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Media blast with walnut shells or soda blast? Chevy39 Body - Exterior 16 09-26-2008 07:14 AM
Best blast media? gex Body - Exterior 15 12-23-2007 06:11 AM
media blast or dip william r plise Body - Exterior 5 12-17-2007 11:28 PM
Media blast, which media? firstgenbird Body - Exterior 5 01-14-2005 08:56 AM
BEST Blast Media for rust removal? zachscc Body - Exterior 3 10-30-2003 07:23 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.