Media blast with walnut shells or soda blast? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 04:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Media blast with walnut shells or soda blast?

I am getting close to finishing patching on my car and will be ready to remove the old paint and surface rust. Which blasting would give me the best results. Blasting with walnut shells, or soda blast it. We have both available in my area. Paris, TX. Thanks, for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2007, 08:09 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

you have to neautralize after a soda blast or you can have trouble with adhesion later on. Other than that I would suspect the walnut shell would be better at attacking the rust but I don't think either will get much more than surface rust off. Is there a price difference? I would probably go with the shell treatment myself. Soda is good for delicate blasting, I saw a picture of a pepsi can with the ink blasted off by soda.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:02 AM

walnut would be my choice
Old 10-06-2007, 01:48 AM

Last photo:

I was just reading Southern Polyurethanes technical manual and the data sheet for their epoxy primer says in bold letters "NEVER use SPI Epoxy over a Soda Blasted vehicle. NEVER!"

It doesn't say to nuetralize the soda, or do any other procedures to make it work -> it just says NOT to do it so I'm thinking they've probably had problems with this in the past and haven't found a good way to paint over a soda blasted vehicle so they've taken the approach of just not using it on a such a vehicle . . . probably something I would keep in mind . . . I think I would opt for the walnut shells too!
Old 10-06-2007, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

Yeah ever where I read says soda's not worth the trouble.

Has anyone used corn cobb? McMaster-Carr sells 50# bags of corncobb media for $26. Is this a good deal? Seams to be.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ search for walnut shell. It brings you to the media page.

They are (or were right in Dayton NJ)...
Old 10-07-2007, 06:55 AM

Last photo:

I have seen car bodies that have been soda blasted, and one thing really stood out. The soda removed all the paint and primer, but did a really poor job on the rust underneath. In fact, it hardly touched the rust at all.

From all the reading and research I have done, it appears as though using a media such as Star Blast or Black Beauty gives the all-around best results. When properly used, they do an excellent job of removing paint, primer, and rust, but are seldom prone to heat warpage of the sheet metal that sand can cause.

http://passonnopaints.com/Pages/Starblast.cfm

Also, they can be used with conventional equipment, whereas soda requires specially-designed equipment to use.

By the way, after leaving Mecklinburg county in Virginia in the early 1800's many of my ancestors went on to settle in Paris and the surrounding area.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

Is Black Beauty safe to use on sheetmetal body panels?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:26 PM

Last photo:

From everything I've read about it, it is safe to use on the sheetmetal when used properly as well as thicker body parts. You should use a lower pressure setting on the gun than you would use with sandblasting, and hit the surface at a 45 degree angle, being careful not to stay on one spot.

The only drawback is that although it is inexpensive to buy, the shipping costs can be on the high side if you can't find a local supplier. Some Tractor Supply Company stores carry it, so check around. I even found a local powdercoating shop who offered to sell it to me as long as I didn't need too much of it.

I do encourage you to do some research on your own to verify what I recall having read myself. For that matter, that's a good practice to follow no matter whose advice is given. Good luck!
Old 10-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

My vote is for nut-shell! I've never used soda, but , that's because I've heard so many people bad mouth soda. So, I never even experimented with it.

Good Luck!
Old 10-08-2007, 01:06 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

walnut shells can contaminate the surface with oil and be hard to get clean. starblast is by far one of the best. it is very fine and cleans cracks and pits very well. i use it and acrylic at my shop. i will not work on a car that has been soda blasted. canfield and josephs in ft worth handles all types of media for blasting.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 PM

Last photo:

Star blast

Hello shine, Never heard of this star blast. Does it work good on surface rust as well as for paint removal? Thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 06:39 AM

Last photo:

I was able to find black beauty locally at McMaster Carr. If your in or near central NJ you can pick it up. It was something like $12 for an 80 pound bag. So far I like it. I've only tested a few spots, but it leaves a nicely etched surface.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:18 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

starblast will only warp if you get 90 degrees at less than 12 in. in tests i had to try to warp it. once more it is not heat from blasting that warps the metal. it is the peening of the metal , like beating it with tiny hammers. i am testing corncob for my corvette work. will let yall know when i find out something.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:29 AM

Last journal entry: Here is the car after paint
Last photo:

I have just picked up a couple of bags of black beauty. I went to Reed Materials web site and found several places they package it. They have several different grades of it, I got the fine grade. This will be used in my homemade blasting cabinet on the 47 chevy parts.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 AM

After Soda Blsting...

As a soda blasting industry professional and one who has stripped hundreds of cars and parts, I think I can shed some light on the surface prep after soda blasting. Baking soda will leave a residue as will any media - It doesnt matter what you used. The residue and surface contaminates will need to be removed before starting body work. The best after blast (any media) surface wash is a product called Hold Tight 102 (www.HoldTight.com) and is available from a number of sources, including myself. It will cleanse the surface and it will leave a mild rust inhibitor behind and it leaves no residue. This product has been in use worldwide for a number of years and is recommended by many paint manufacturers.

As far as rust removal with soda - it doesn't remove anything more than light surface rust. That's a good thing! You never run the risk of warpage or damaging good metal. Get the paint off with soda and then just spot hit with a mild abrasive like crushed glass (different than beads). No damage to glass, chrome or rubber with soda and NO FLASH RUST either.

Contact me anytime with questions or comments - Stacey @ www.ChesapeakeSodaClean.com or www.SodaBlast-Florida.com

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.