Media blasters in Alabama/Georgia - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 12:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Media blasters in Alabama/Georgia

I am trying to find someone who does media blasting in Alabama or Georgia to have the frame and body stripped on my 57 Chevy. Anyone know of a good one? Preferably in East Alabama or West Georgia.
Thanks,
Eldon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2007, 09:29 PM

Last journal entry: Dateline Dec. 2004
Last photo:

soda blast?

There is a company out of north ga... near atlanta, i think, that has a soda blast setup capable of doing anything and everything... They usually attend car show each year at Moultrie GA Swap Meet, moultrieswapmeet.com The next show is Nov. 15-17. Many dealers hit there before going to the Turkey Run at Daytona.

If I find the guys card, I will send that info to you.

They have portable equipment to, but best bet is to trailer it to them. Soda will not harm steel like sand, and the soda residue is a rust preventitive coating. Just rinse with water, prep surface and paint.

Found the card...
nutechsodablasting.com
nutechservice@alltel.net
Lanny Porter/Owner
Cell 770-480-6763

He had pictures of some resto work he had done... completely stripped vehicle. I've heard that with soda you can even take paint off almost a layer at a time if it had been painted on top of original paint.

billg
Old 03-29-2007, 05:52 AM

Last photo:

I would suggest that you do plenty of research before commiting to soda blasting. Restoration shops don't use soda anymore because of the problems associated with it. Your local jobber may suggest it but I would call the tech line of the paint manufacture for accurate information. Unless you plan to wipe the entire car with body filler to flatten out the warpage caused by the media/sand blasting..........don't do it! You can blast the frame and other interior sheetmetal but for all exterior sheetmetal use a DA sander to remove old paint/rust. Use one of those cheap hand held blasters with the hopper on top from HF for all the hard to get to areas like door jambs, windsheild pinch weld, etc. You can easily strip a full size car in one day with a DA sander and non-loading 80 grit sanding discs.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:06 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

plastigrit will not warp sheet metal. i use type 5 acrylic here at my shop. i use starblast to clean rust off. sand is a no no period. soda blasting has caused way too many problems in the past and many paint mfg will not warranty over it. i do not recommend it.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

Thanks! I will give them a call! The main part I need stripped is the frame and the underbody/ window pinchwelds because where the windshield and rear window sit are pretty rotted. I am going to do quite a bit of fab work there.
Eldon
Old 03-29-2007, 03:10 PM

Last photo:

etriggs,
Like I said, for windshield pinch welds, the best tool I've found for removing rust, and you most assuredly can find it there, use the hopper feed type blaster from HF or Eastwood and use beach sand or whatever you can find at Home Depot. The frame is OK to blast with sand. Any undercoating on any of the exterior body panels will have to be removed by hand using a putty knife or something similar. Sand blasting will not remove this very efficiently, the grit just bounces off. If you decide to remove any undercoating on the underside of body panels, I suggest you do that before any body work on the exterior of the panel. Some of the old undercoating is very difficult to remove and if you have to use a hammer along with your putty knife and you have body filler on the outside of the panel, you run the risk of cracking the new body filler. This will most definitely show up once you have the finish coat on and will be difficult to repair then
Old 03-29-2007, 03:26 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

your recommending sand ???
Old 03-29-2007, 06:53 PM

Last journal entry: Dateline Dec. 2004
Last photo:

soda?

i had no idea that soda caused problems. Anything specific? residue incompatibility with paint/primer?

thanks

billg
Old 03-30-2007, 06:50 AM

Last photo:

Shine,
I use Starblast in the blast cabinet but on a one-shot deal where you can't recover the media, then I use beach sand or whatever I can get at Home Depot. I use the small and cheap hand held blaster for the windshield pinchwelds, trunk gasket area, and other usually rusty and hard to get areas. Now maybe I should have put in my legal disclaimer but I feel that everyone who hasen't lived in a cave know's the dangers of breathing silica dust and would take the necessary precautions to protect themselves. Personally I have an air supplied blast hood. Even if I were using Starblast I would still use my hood. In fact there are many health risks associated with auto body work, many of which are respitory. I personally feel that for the areas I mentioned using some type of blasting is the most effective way to remove ALL the rust usually associated with these areas. Using the media of your choice, of course. I suggest that anyone using this forum looking for an answer to a question, search the entire forum for the opinions posted by others and use that information to educate themselves on the related topic. There many of the best experts in the country posting here, and I can tell you that I'm not one of them. Of course I have my opinion based on what works best for me and what I believe to be true.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.