Media Blasting Cabinet Dust Collector - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 AM
PATH=$PATH\:/usr/local/bin ; e

Wiki Edits: 0

Frankenstein for sure. Yeah you can run at it with arms extended and slide them on, if in a hurry.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 AM

Last photo:

Here is a link to a Dust Separator that I built for a small Eastwood benchtop sandblaster that I have. http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.ph...ae&topic=526.0
Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 AM
PATH=$PATH\:/usr/local/bin ; e

What are you using for the vacuum?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

Hi Unix, I'm useing a WAP brand shop vacuum, now they go by the brand name of ALTO the last I heard.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:47 AM

Last photo:

But actually even a small Shop Vac brand vacuum should work fine with a small benchtop sandblaster as long as you keep the filter clean. And if you build the Separator correctly, it should help in reduceing the number of times that you will need to clean the filter. I also do woodworking and I built this type of Dust Separator for my 1 1/2 hp Dust Collector, it works beautifully when hooked up to the Table Saw, and Thickness Planer, etc.

Last edited by Charlie Lenz; 07-18-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

cyclone seperator

I have seen plans in woodworking magazines to build a cyclone sawdust seperator. I see the big ones outside of Cabinet shops in the industrial areas. the smaller versions brings the dust in like charlies pict but they have a funnel so the air swirls around and down getting into a tighter circle, , the centrifigal force sends the heavy particles to the outsice and down to the bottom and the air goes up funnel pipe and out. I have a large home made cabinet 6 ft long so a rear end will fit inside. the 2 in plastic dust pipe runs alond the back top area, i drilled 3/8 and 1/2 holes along it to bring in the air along the length of the pipe to try to get even distribution.of the exhaust suction. the shop vac is about 10 ft away outside. A couple places I worked had industrial setups. the vacuum systems we had were $ 400 or more. The commercial vacuums have a seperate cooling air passage for the motor, most home models use air from the can which has small particles of debri that eventually ruin the vacuum motor. I have the pre swirler lid for my sawdust collection in the wood side of the shop.(4o X 120) it goes on top of a garbage can between the bag type vacuum machine shown in the earlier post and the planers, saws etc , supposed to catch the bigger stuff first..
Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

Tim, the plastic store bought garbage can Separator lids work ok, but these setups with the Thien baffle work even better. The Separator drum will fill all the way up to the bottom of the baffle with dust. Many people have built these and are very happy with them, I know that I am.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

thanks

charlie , thanks for the info. I have never had the time to build the sheetmetal cyclone funnel system. the thiel looks a lot easier. I have a delta double bag like in your picture, I ran the air-elect and vacuum-dust collection pipes under the floor before we poured concrete. The car projects will have to wait another year, we have about 3 months of winter work on the 100 year old farm house where we spend winters then cabinets to build for the duplex. At 70 + and 2 heart attacts I don't work as fast as I used to. WE have a 48 In belsaw round blade mill powere by a 472 caddy, 2 planers, 2 shapers, panel saw, tablesaws, turret 2 arm, etc when we start a project we make a lot of sawdust.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:28 PM

Last photo:

Wow, a 472 Caddy motor. My folks had a 67 Sedandeville that had a 472, it was my fathers favorite Caddy. It was Red with a while vinyl top, and while leather interior. It was totalled in a multi-car pileup on the Interstate out of Spokane, Wa in about the mid 70's because of a sandstorm. I have two saw blades that are about 26" in diameter, and I thought that those were large. I really like the Delta 50-760 dust collector that I have as a portable unit, but if I was to put in a ducted systen I think that a 2 HP DC would have to be the minimum needed. I'm not so sure that a 1 1/2 hp DC is enough. Don't feel bad about being slow, I feel that I make less mistakes, and things turn out better if I don't get in a hurry, it's too easy to make mistakes when your running around and in a hurry, and in my opinion when working around machinery it isn't a place to be foolish. I think that is part of the problem in todays world, not many take the time to do things right, everyone wants instant gratification.

Last edited by Charlie Lenz; 07-18-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.