Media Blasting Cabinet Dust Collector - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 07:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Media Blasting Cabinet Dust Collector

Hi guys I have a media cabinet (see below) and figured out that I need a dust collection system. Will the one below work? Thanks

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...+media+cabinet

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-in...tor-97869.html

Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

Personally I wouldn't use one of those dust fans for media blasting. I have one for my woodworking hobby and it works great. The problem would be that the dust/media comes in contact with the fans impeller. Wood dust has very little impact on the steel impeller. But media/rust grit might be a different story. I can see it getting into the bearings etc. On my blast cabinet I use a old shop vac with a bag filter and a filter over the fan. It works good and no problem so far.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

Are you referring to the larger shop vacs that you can get at Home Depot?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

I used a large Craftsman shop vac for years. Burlap bag over the main paper filter. Kick it on the side before using and empty the dust periodically. Lasted for ten years with almost daily use..Dust finally killed the lower motor bearings. No service parts available.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:02 PM

Last wiki edit: How to find an electrical drain Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

harbor freight media reclaimer

I bought a Harbor Freight media reclaimer for the back of my media cabinet. It works great and in fact I can see what is being blasted now. Only problem is you have to order it on line and can't use the discount coupons.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:25 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyroushkolb
I bought a Harbor Freight media reclaimer for the back of my media cabinet.
Hey Gary, could you provide a little detail on how that operates? Do you block off one exhaust port and then suck and discharge the cabinet air back into the cabinet? Or do you still exhaust the air outside the cabinet somehow?

I have tried the larger shop vac idea but can't seem to keep up with my blaster, thus the cabinet becomes pretty cloudy and difficult to see. I now have an exhaust fan from an old Jen Air electric range that does a better job better but it makes a lot of noise and vibration. So I'd like to find a better solution as well.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 AM

media reclaimer

I copied the HF discription "Attach this reclaimer kit to your blast cabinet (our Item 94274, or any blast cabinet with a 2-1/4 diameter dust port). The dust reclaimer draws airborne particles out of your blast cabinet and into its own filter and dust housing. Helps improve visibility inside the blast cabinet as you work. Reclaimer mounts to wall or directly to cabinet. Rust-resistant powder-coat finish."
Check out their web site. I normally question HF stuff but this one really works and is worth the money. It's noisey but really does a good job of keeping the air clear. you have to make sure the cabinet is vented well as the gloves will suck in when you turn it on.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Thanks. Sounds like a decent solution. I'll head over to the HF site and check it out.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:59 PM
PATH=$PATH\:/usr/local/bin ; e

I just ordered and received this very product.. First it is huge and well worth the dough. I to tried the shop vac thing and that was a waste. Never saw the unit in a store and the catalog picture does not illustrate the size of the thing. I am guessing but it is about 3 ft tall and 10" round.

I see this is going to do the JOB, installing it this weekend. Not a big buyer of HB products but some of the stuff is ok, this is one of them, it comes with every fastener you could need including concrete anchors if wall mounted. I am hanging mine off the cabinet myself but I am impressed with the completeness of the installation kit. One for red china...
Old 06-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

Do you need to add some sort of leak to the blast cabinet to do this? I turned a bushing on my lathe that fit the port on my cabinet and a small shop vac, hanging it right off the side and I ended up with what I call the "stupid blaster trick" where I power up the vac and the gloves "inflate" (actually the pressure in the cabinet drops) so much that the gloves become too stiff to use.

I've tried popping the latch on the door to make a leak and the unless the door is wide open which is no good it just gets sucked shut against the gasketing and same result.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:31 PM

I put a hole about 2 inches in the front corner away from the direction I blast. That did the trick for creating a air inlet to the cabinet.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

do you mean a 2" in diameter hole?
Old 07-01-2011, 04:04 AM

Yes, I blast with my left hand, so I punched a 2 inch diameter hole in the left side on the cabinet so the air is drawing the media away from the hole and I'm not blasting media out the hole. My parts are on the right side of the cabinet. I used a 2 inch hole saw and went slow as to not get chips in the media which would plug up the nozzle. I'm not so sure that if you drill a series of 1/2 inch holes near the top of the cabinet it wouldn't be better, and use a step drill.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 AM
PATH=$PATH\:/usr/local/bin ; e

I was thinking that a 90 using an elbow, and putting the vent opening above the cabinet height,will keep the media from blowing out of the vent.

Yes you do need a vent it plainly states that in the install for this unit. When I did the shop vac thing the first time I used the cabinet it was vented, however the media was blowing out of the vent. Plugged it because of that and the cabinet became a desert sand storm, could not see the work piece.

That is how I came to the conclusion that this recovery item was going to be a must. I think it will have the ability and volume to clear the cabinet and also keep the media from blowing out of the vent. That is where I have landed.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:09 AM

That should work. I didn't think of an elbow-main thing is to get some air in and not let the media out. It's kind of amusing to watch the gloves take on a life of their own though.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.