Media Blasting Cabinet Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Media Blasting Cabinet Help

Hey guys,

I just bought a new blasting cabinet. It's the one I have listed below. It works great but not for long because it fills up to the point that I can't see what I'm blasting.

Does anyone have any creative ways that I can vent this thing so I can see? I was thinking a shop vac or something like that. Any ideas that you can give me would be a great help. Thanks

Dave.

http://www.harborfreight.com/homepag...net-93608.html

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

I can't believe they sell those without vacuums included. Makes it cheap but useless, eh! Maybe talk to HF and see what they have and how much they'll nick you for it. One, or both, of the plugs should get hot when you turn on the blaster, that is where you plug in the vacuum. If you just use a shop vac without super filtration it will fill your space with fine silica dust, very bad for your lungs. By the way, when you do get it working like you want remember to leave the vac running for a few minutes before you open the door! That silica dust is REALLY bad for your lungs!

Did I mention how bad that dust is for your lungs?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:17 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

a shop will work.....to a point.......but you really need one of the industrial vacs/ filter that will keep the dust down
Old 08-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

When I built my cabinet I tried a couple of my smaller shopvacs with no success but I just happened to have a larger industrial one I ended up using. I still had to add on several layers of filtration to it because of the fine dust produced. IIRC I used the filters it had plus I wrapped those up with a couple of thicknesses of something I had that was similar to a moving blanket and I had to take it out and clean it very often. Of course, I was using it for long periods (at least 4-6 hrs per nite on average) and I also placed it placed below the exhaust fans in the wall of my garage so theyd remove any dust that managed to escape the cabinet. And as evolvo said, its extremely dangerous to your lungs so its very important to also use a good respirator too
Old 08-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

shop vac

My big cabinet is about 6 ft long and I have a length of pvc in the top back with 1/2 holes about 6 " apart that extends out the end. I use another 10 ft length of pvc then the shop vac. everything is outside under a shade cover. this keeps the mess out of the shop. I have been thinking of trying a dust turbine like I have on my backhoe air intake to get out more of the dirt before the shop vac.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.