Medical Oxygen Regulators ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2006, 01:09 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Medical Oxygen Regulators ?

I picked up a pile of regulators from a closed nursing home and they look like any other regulator(other than the oxygen hook-up and gauges) I'm just wondering if they could be used for other things than oxygen by changing the hook-up & gauges? Anyone know about this sort of thing? Thanks--DAVE

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Are all regulator the same? I would think that the internal seals would have to be compatible with the gas you will be using.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:01 PM

I don't have any idea--that was why I asked about changing the use from oxygen to whatever.I'm sure there are members out there with a great deal more knowledge about this than me--I don't know anything about regulators.I've had these for 10 years & to me they look just like the oxy-act regulators on cutting torches(chrome plated though) I'm just wondering if they could be used for air line regulators or CO2 reg. or converted to O2-Act. regulators. I've got 15 or 20 just hate to waste them if I can use them for something(I don't need them for O2--YET) DAVE
Old 04-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

kdc49, I know what you mean about throwing stuff away that may be useful. I posted to bring it up to the top again so someone here who does know would give you an answer. "(I don't need them for O2--YET)", too many years of smoking and breathing fumes have taken there toll on me and so I may need one soon. At least I know where to go to find one!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:38 PM

I know what you mean about fumes & smoking--Had to quit smoking 11 yrs ago--couple heart attacks.I just do what I can now & everything else I just let it go.I've read the posts about sandblasting sand & the arguments--If they knew how long they might be around, they wouldn't take the chance.I was young & DUMB and did that too & I'm not so sure that ONE truck didn't have adverse consequences on the lungs. I was bullet proof back then & brain dead,now the brain works better--It's the rest that fails to respond. Later--DAVE
Old 04-04-2006, 01:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I'm in a similar situation so I just work "smarter" now.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Truck.
Last photo:

Dave I know the deal to after 30 years it sucks. I don't know if its was being young and dumb or lack of information like we have now msds sheets and so on. Yea the regulator are diffrent if I remember right they are for medical use and so they have to be sterial and most of that stuff is stainless all you got to do is call a medical supply company and talk to a repair tec.

Craig
Old 04-04-2006, 08:19 AM

Last photo:

Actually you will most likely get zero help from the manufacturer or their tech dept-been there, tried that Because of the legal liabilities about all the info you will get from them is to use them for the purpose they were designed for and a STERN warning NOT to modify or even attempt to repair them! This probably is good advice since trying to modifiy a high pressure gauge can be very dangerous. The pressure range is far too high for CO2 or Acetylene but if they are in good shape they should make good O2 regulators otherwise they probably are good for little else. On the brighter side they are valuable, have you thought of E-Bay? You will probably run out of stock in a hurry!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:18 AM

Hadn't thought of Ebay- The regulators look to be chrome plated brass--could be wrong though. They look for all the world like my O2-Act. regulators--one is exactly like my O2 reg. but different gauges. I'm just guessing that a regulator is just that a regulator from that point it becomes a matter of what gas bottle it is attached to and in pressure--out pressure gauges. I wouldn't want to go from working shop regulator to a medical use but I'll bet these are the same,just thought someone might have some working knowledge on this.I've had them this long,so I'm not pressed for time for sure .If anything being medical they are probably better than shop regulators.If I get any info I'll be sure to post for general information--I'll have to do some searching cause now I'm really curious about this.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

You say they are the same as your torch regulators but the gauges are different? By different do you mean a different pressure range If so how much difference?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:40 AM

Oldred--Don't recall offhand--I'll have to go to my shop later & check them closer. Haven't looked at them in a while,just remember they looked exactly like the O2 on one of my Oxy-Act sets.I'll put them side by side & get back to you.DAVE
Old 04-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Dave how about posting a picture of the two side by side.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:53 PM

home brew--I've thought of that,just have to dig them out. I posted this thinking it wouldn't be that much of a question.HA!HA! Like most of the things I do "If I got one they quit making parts last week" I've got a 3 wheeler(looks like a Cushman-made by Rand-for the Post Office) can't even find info on the internet for the thing.I'll try to get some pics up--DAVE
Old 04-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Take them down to your local Welding Supply store....Most Welding Stores have a tech that re-builds torches, and regulators, etc....ask him he will know. Our welding store here re-builds the regulators for the Hospital.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Truck.
Last photo:

Where I'm at in Arizona its retirement central so that stuff is everywere. and they buy and sell the stuff and the medical supply place we have here will tell you what you have and if its any good and so I don't think they would tell you if it could be use for anything else. But I know this because my wife works Wal Green Home Care and they have a hole staff of tech answer those question all the time If you want I can find out for you.

Craig

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.