Mega Squirt - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2008, 06:57 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Mega Squirt

i'm writing see anyone on this site used a mega squirt EFI system, and what you think of it? thinking of buying one for my cadillac, so to build a multi port injection system, and piggy back it with my stock ECM, so looking to see what any one else thinks these ECM units from mega squirt!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 07:24 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I built one and like it a lot. I run the fuel and ignition systems with it. Very versitle, but not plug and play. You need to know computers and engine tuning, or at least be willing to learn. I reccomend reading the manual mutiple times before digging in.

Why piggy back? Trying to run both systems is more trouble than it's worth.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

piggy backing

the reason i'm piggy backing is my cadillac stock ECM controls my heater and A/C along with and cruse control, also my mileage message center, for fuel usage, thinking of fabbing my intake using a six pack set up, but my center throttle body would retain the fuel injector pod for the stock ECM to run along with all the other sensors, and use the mega squirt 2 to run my multi injectors, and use a second TPS on one the outer throttle bodies as to going to have them come in progressively, so when just crusing around town just be the center throttle body feeding the motor,and mainly running on stock ECM, and like the older six pack set ups the out broad throttle bodies come in along with the multi port injectors to feed the motor, using all the needed sensors to run the mega squirt ECM as a second fuel injection system to feed as i open the motor up more!.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

I've had good luck with megasquirt. I have a MS-I on a turbocharged 302 SBF, a MS-II on a turbocharged 350 SBC, and I'm working on two turbocharged BBC projects that will both be getting MS-II's. Hopefully one will be running in a few weeks. I would definitely spring for the MS-II. There's plenty of support on www.msefi.com

Kevin
Old 10-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Kevin, Do you build the boards, or order 'em assembled?

Any advice on crank triggered reluctors and pickups? Or do you use a distributor? If so, do you use the distributor itself for a timing curve, (mechanical+vacuum adv.) or use a dist. with a module that is adjusted via ECM/MS2...?

Anything/everything helps. I try and wade my way through some of the *tuner* forums regarding MS2 and get so sidetracked by the BS there...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 PM

Last photo:

I build them myself, but I'm cheap. MS-II kit is $260 vs $400. I can do a lot with $140. On the MS-I, I'm using a mechanical/vacuum advanced distributor, on one MS-II, I'm using a computer controlled late model HEI. I will probably use a regular HEI on my current project for starters. I think there are 140 fuel bins and 140 ignition bins. Once I get the fuel sorted out I'll switch to the computer controlled HEI then my plan is to go distributor-less. I have a GM DIS, but was told to find some Mitsubishi one's because they are better under boost. Unless you're going to use a dyno for tuning, I would recommend a plain old distributor. There is a lot of power to be lost in the timing table. On my computer controlled HEI, I started out soft and kept slowly adding timing. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the old heads, but on my double hump headed SBC I have timing way higher than I thought it should be with 9.7:1, 10 PSI, and 93 Octane. Starting with a running motor with a working ignition system will save you a lot of grief. I can't tell you how much time I've wasted working on the fuel system when the problem was ignition. Even the wideband can't tell the difference between the two.

Kevin
Old 10-08-2008, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

mega squirt

thanks kevin,
thats what i'm wonding if i'll need to tap in my stock dist. for for the injectors to spray in time, as i'm thinking keeping my stock ECM so can keep all my other stuff working in the car, the cadillac 4.1 motor what in car now, but found a 425 and a 472 motor, and a 368 to get dist. out of so the stock ECM can get it's signals, and run the stock engine system, and use the mega squirt as a progressive injection system, been on a few different sites for mega squirt, no one seems to be able to answer my questions about what i'm trying to build, i guess when i'm ready just order one an build it and start from there! but thinking if i run sensors to feed mega squirt system only why i can't do what i want to this set up i want to build, i just like the looks of a six pack set up and don't want carbs. on this car, but the 4.1 don't have the guts i want in this car, now i have another cadillac coupe deville with a 4.1 but want keep it close to stock i can, because only made 5,000 coupe devilles in 1984, but going to use cylinder sleeves and piston an rods from a 4.5 an put them in a 4.1 block to make it a 4.5, but on the 1983 coupe deville with the six pack, going to use injectors in my center throttle body from a 454 BBC to feed the motor while it runs at lower speeds, the other thing i'm wondering is i know the multi ports use a higher fuel pressure, and the stock injectors use only 7 psi. low impedance and the injectors planning on using for the multi port is the injectors from a 4.5 cadillac , as i have them already an the 454 pod injectors, the multi port uses 45 psi. i know i'll need to run a second fuel pump, to feed them, but thinking it may rob the other system of fuel or pressuse as they open up, i seen on one site about a acumlater, was thinking putting in a check valve as the fuel comes from the tank before it goes to the second fuel pump to feed the multi injectors, all just on paper now but this is my winter project, i know the MS2 uses it's own MAP sensor, so wont need to get one of them, but will need to add a second TPS an coolant temp sensor, and IAT, and A O2 senser,so the MS2 can read the data from the engine, well thanks again kevin for your input!
dare to be different!!!!!
rachet ralph

Last edited by rachet ralph; 10-08-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

One of the many options to trigger Megasquirt is simply your tach signal. I've never seen it done, but I don't see why you can't use the MS to add additional fuel once you exceed the stock tune. I guess you can use numbers near or equal to zero in the VE bins you want MS to be inactive. It looks like zero might work unless it divides by VE somewhere. I think you can run fuel from one pump to your high pressure injectors, then send the fuel from the bypass regulator to your low pressure ones, then out your low pressure bypass, but I have never seen it done.

Kevin
Old 10-12-2008, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

bypass fuel

yes sounds like good idea KS, i was trying to think how to do that but i like your idea one pump feeds both sounds like a plan! thanks guy!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.