Melling M55 done after 5000rpm? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers creepers
I've read lot of things on the forum about the causes of oil pressure drop, oil level, windage tray, oil pick up height and its related brazing to the pumo body can afflict pressure.
Mine is very good, about 70 when cold and over 35 at idle at operating temperature, the problem pop out when engine turns close to 5000 rpm, the gauge pointer has a superfast vibration from around 5 to 35 PSI.
Cavitation?
Looking for the cause on the web i've seen that some oil pump has problem over 5000rpm or so, any experience with them?

i'll tear down oil pan to check pick up height first (honestly i want to see bearings too) then braze the pick up or make a bracket for it.
Competition Products in oshkosh wi. sells an oil pump pickup bracket .Nice bracket .LARRY

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A regular oil pump pressure relief valve is set to release at 55-60 psi and unless there is a gauge issue what you are seeing is the relief spring surging without a load on the engine causing your gauge to fluctuate rapidly.

Don't worry about it, its normal.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
great link, thank you, pump is down ready for the mods, problem is to make to vertical groove on the gear bore, i haven't the right tool for that, but grooves on the bottom are easier to do, do you think i can make just them? any con?
thank you.
To see much improvement I'd think you would need both ends done. A small Die Grinder/Rotary Tool with a cone shape Carbide or Diamond Burr will work if you can find one.
Examples>> http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ary-tools.html
Old 03-17-2011, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

i've made a quick video just to show what the oil gauge is reading:
http://img546.imageshack.us/i/ony.mp4/
Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

Wow! That looks and sounds like cavitation at the Pump's Pickup? You can hear the load on the engine change when the Pr. drops.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
Wow! That looks and sounds like cavitation at the Pump's Pickup? You can hear the load on the engine change when the Pr. drops.
i guess so, nevertheless as somebody told me in this thread engine has no load on so it's better to try the car on the road before.
i saw the "oil pump mods tutorial" , very interesting but i don't want to mess up and end with a piece of junk so i'm thinking about a new and different oil pump, stock pressure and volume is a must.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Last photo:

If your still relying on the electric pressure gage your chasing ghosts. Find a mechanical gage and get an honest pressure reading.

Vince
Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
If your still relying on the electric pressure gage your chasing ghosts. Find a mechanical gage and get an honest pressure reading.

Vince
You're right, the oil pressure sender is probably on the worst spot ever,i just need to make a hard breath and do that.. mechanical gauge is on the shelf.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:05 PM

retainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf
Competition Products in oshkosh wi. sells an oil pump pickup bracket .Nice bracket .LARRY

A pump screen assembly retainer or brace is available from Summit and Jegs. It is retainer part #23620 for a 3/4" inlet tube. The M55 tube such as you have has a 5/8" diameter inlet but it will still fit if welded to the tube. Since my oil pan is 9-1/4" deep, the pick up assembly is more subject to vibration damage than a shorter tube assembly. I used the #23620 retainer after cutting and shortening the pick up tube 1/2" in order to fit a Melling 10552 HV/std pressure pump. I tried to fit Milodon and Moroso screen assemblies that were equipped with braces but I could never get the desired 1/2" oil pan bottom clearance with any of those pick ups. A vortex under the screen and severe cavatation will result if the pick up screen is less the 3/8" from the botton of the oil pan.

I used the special Melling tool and drove the inlet tube into the pump housing then bolted the #23620 brace to the tube, welded it and tossed the supplied retainer bolt in the trash. I bolted the bracket to the oil pump bottom plate with red Loctite. Severe vibration can weaken the oil pump pick up tube, especially if it is a long pick up assembly for a deep oil pan. The #23620 pick up retainer dampens vibration that can work harden the tube at the pump housing connection, even if the pick up tube has been brazed to the cast iron pump housing.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 PM

BB Chevy pump

Cavitation is a common problem with SB Chevy oil pumps unless you use one that is designed to reduce cavitation. Those type oil pumps also reduce oil pressure below 1200 RPM and are recommended for racing applications only. A good solution would be to install a stock BB Chevrolet oil pump. They have larger diameter spur gears with more teeth and run smoother with 10% higher volume than a SB chevy oil pump. Unfortuantely, the inlet tube is clocked differently in the pump housing and the baffles in the oil pan may need trimming to get a BB Chevy pump to fit. I tried to fit a stock BB Chevy pump but the inlet tube hit the back of my 4.3L V6 4X4 oil pan. The BB Chevy pump will fit most SB Chevy V8 oil pans.

If you trial fit and can use a BB Chevy oil pump on a SB Chevy V8 engine, you will need to get a Moroso oil pump drive shaft that is designed for that conversion. That shaft is shorter than a SB Chevy drive shaft to allow for the slightly longer BB Chevy gear shaft.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

"Cavitation is a common problem with SB Chevy oil pumps unless you use one that is designed to reduce cavitation".

Any proof of this? Documented proof? This is just getting ridiculous.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:05 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

If you think your M55 is done, put a DZ 302 Z/28 or equivalent oil pump in it and be done with it. GM had no qualms about running a high volume oil pump in a stock engine with stock clearances. Why should you? Man, when it comes to oiling systems on Chevy's you can't beat the factory. Shouldn't even try.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
i've made a quick video just to show what the oil gauge is reading:
http://img546.imageshack.us/i/ony.mp4/
I don't know what to say about this, I notice the sound of the engine changes when the pressure drops, did you back off the throttle, am I imagining this? I really don't know why there would be an apparent drop in sound which I would take as power or RPM at that point. Some things that come to mind would be the inlet is picking up air, the sump is running low on oil, the bypass opens too far and catches before it returns to closed or the by-passing oil which is returned to the input side of the pump is causing a disruption to the intake of oil. Or the output side is having a problem to where the bypass valve in the filter and the filter element combine to reduce flow to the engine. That would load the pump but I'd be surprised that could apply enough load on the pump and up to the distributor gear to slow the engine or alter its sound would surprise me some. It could be the distributor isn't positioned correctly or not tight enough to where the right side tappet galley is being opened to where pressure oil is venting back to the pan. Or the reverse to where the distributor is setting to low and under the combined force of it and full system oil pressure that single bolt that holds the pump on is allowing the pump to move enough to temporarily open the discharge cavity, then it recovers as the pressure drops.

While any of these are possibilities, I don't see any of them being strong enough to cause the power sound change that seems to coincide with the pressure drop. though if the distributor, or its shaft, is moving in some unrestrained direction it shouldn't, that would affect timing either by changing point dwell or upsetting timing advance settings either of which would affect RPM and power output, thus sound.

I keep thinking I've seen this before, but can't put where, when or what to it.

Bogie
Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink
A pump screen assembly retainer or brace is available from Summit and Jegs. It is retainer part #23620 for a 3/4" inlet tube. .

Not available from Summit. A friend of mine has the patent on that retainer and Summit came out with a knock off not too soon after Jegs was licensed to carry it. The threat of a lawsuit made them drop it from their catalog.

Vince
Old 03-18-2011, 05:02 PM

Last photo:

The video suggests it sucking air somehow. Try adding an extra quart of oil and retest. Maybe do that two or three times even. The plug in the bottom of the pump that covers the drill passage from the regulator bore to the inlet tube is intact?
Or, the drive gear in the pump is slipping on the input shaft, though I have only seen that once. There were alot of pumps made with sintered metal gears that had problems but I dont know exactly what the problems were. I think Melling went back to a billet gear in all their pumps.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.