Melling M55 done after 5000rpm? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 05:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
I had a sudden drop of oil pressure, to zero. I was running a Fram. Never again! Being that some Wix (or Napa brand, same thing) filters are made in China, I've moved onto Baldwin or Hastings filters. Even purolator is a good step up in quality from fram (compare the two at your local auto part store). I made the choice to spend 5 bucks on an oil filter, it's cheap insurance for a $3500 engine.
i've heard bad things about Fram filters, here in Italy they're common and easy to find, NAPA unfortunately doesn't exist and other brands like Purolator or Wix are hard to find at local autostore, what about Fleetguard? because i can get them.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers creepers
Yes, i'll check for flatness and correct clearance after brazing the pick up.
About the relief spring, do you know how much pressure will increase before the piston will be open? i know it sound pretty silly but i'm obsessed about the load on distributor and cam gear, i guess nothing noticeable, can you confirm this?
The difference in spring tension between the M55 and the M55A is not great, but the oil pressure goes up about 15psi. I think you will see more than that. I have put the pan on with a couple bolts and some oil and run the pump with priming tool just to see what the pressure is doing. I expect to see about 70psi on a cold engine with the priming tool and Mobil 1 10-30. As long as you have made a oil groove on the distributor body to spray on the gear mesh location, I think you will be OK.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport
The difference in spring tension between the M55 and the M55A is not great, but the oil pressure goes up about 15psi. I think you will see more than that. I have put the pan on with a couple bolts and some oil and run the pump with priming tool just to see what the pressure is doing. I expect to see about 70psi on a cold engine with the priming tool and Mobil 1 10-30. As long as you have made a oil groove on the distributor body to spray on the gear mesh location, I think you will be OK.
i'm concerned...
Reading the article of the relief spring, they say that drilling a larger hole by pass passage way is needed to ensure an adequate oil bypass during cold starts and high rev pressure conditions, so can you explain better how does this work because i believe i'm missing something...
Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 AM

Last photo:

Bad news about thepump mods i did, oil pressure is too low wen engine is hot it drops to zero, i'm gonna put a new stock one and see what happens, i'd like to fabricate a bracket for the pick up at this time instead to braze that, brazng is probably better to avoid air be sucked but i guess i can use a sealant while sticking it in the pump.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 AM

Oil pump and pickup

Why don't you just purchase a pump like this, with the pickup already welded. Moroso 22124 - Moroso Oil Pump and Pickup Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Take a wander on the internet - M-55 Melling pumps have been a problem for a while. Yours might not be in that bad batch, but ....... oil pumps are too cheap to worry about a potential problem. A caveat, if you end up with a different brand - unfortunately, that too might just be a repackaged Melling as well but it will probably have the Melling number on it.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:02 PM

Last photo:

Good news,
i put on a new pump (M55 Stock ) and TIG welded a bracket attached to one of the pump cover bolt, oil pressure is pretty good and it doesn't drop too much when hot, got solid 10 PSI at idle with 5w40 full sinthetic.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.