Melling oil pumps - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2014, 04:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Melling oil pumps

Just wondering if the pumps(m55,m55a) have the thin wall housings still.I heard that they dont , but a lot of previous thin wall stock still out on shelves for sale to people? Just wondering cuz all I need for mine is a standard volume pump and it would be nice to not pay double for a select series pump unless I have to?

P.S
And if anyone has any suggestions on making my 7qt pan thats listed as 8 1/4" deep fit a 3/4" pickup? Seems like all the ones that might work are $50-100, just for the pick up.

Advertisement

Last edited by sqeezeit; 04-23-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

These days I'm not very happy with Melling oil pumps. I used an M-68 in a SB Ford, recently replacing it after less then 1500 miles. The lack of quality control is my main reason. Even after the miles driven, the clearances were either too tight or too loose depending on where they were taken. The cover to gear fit - about half of what it should be and the photo below shows what happened. Yep, Ford or Chevy have suffered with the current 'cost reduced' thin casting product. Now, was there any problem pumping oil? Not at the point the pump was taken out of service, but ya never know.

The pump on the RHS - everything dead nuts on OEM spec(a Ford Racing unit):

Dave W
Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

Plus they had a problem for a while with junk cover retaining screws that broke off or loosened. I wonder what that "cost savings" cost them in customers..
Old 04-23-2014, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

well seems like im leaning more towards the select series like the 10552 I think,but cant seem to find a dam pickup that will work unless i go to a 5/8" pickup but dont want to but...Not only that but do the sizes or pickups listed for a pan like mine thats 8.250 deep meant to be used with stock size pump or a longer HV which are normally or almost .500 longer,so then in theory I would need a pickup for a 8" deep pan then right? Altimately I will have to measure but this crap is driving me nuts,just trying to get a pickup to work.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Here's a place that was recommended to me when I first found the problems with my Melling. Kinda expensive, but ....... SB Chevy - Oil System Components - Precision Oil Pumps

Another thing to watch out for, Melling pumps are often reboxed/rebranded as I found out when my first replacement try, a Sealed Power, turned out to have M-68 cast on it.

Oil pumps aren't something to economize to much with. A failure there is a quick engine death
Old 04-24-2014, 06:37 AM

Melling has not produced new oil pump pick up assembiles that will fit oil pans using Melling Select HV oil pumps. The Melling Select HV oil pumps have a housing that is .487" longer than a standard pressure housing. The spur gears are .300" longer and the bottom cover is .187" thicker than those used on a standard volume oil pump.

I an using a Melling 10552 oil pump on my '91 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4x4. You must have a pick up custom made by a company such as KEVCO or you must redesign a Melling pick up assembly. In order to use a Melling 10552 oil pump, I cut and shortened the pick up tube on a Melling 259S pick up 1/2" so it would fit the Melling 10552 oil pump and my stock 9-1/4" deep oil pan with 1/2" bottom clearance. I also used a Jegs 23621 pick-up brace and wire welded the brace to the pick up tube, not bolted. Do not use a Melling bolt on pick up...examine one and you will see the reason why. Bolts have a tendency to come loose with engine vibrations and the Meilling bolt-on pick ups are weak where the tube is brazed to the bolt on plate. Engine vibration will cause the pick up to break and fall off, especailly if off-road or solid motor mounts are used.

The bottom cover bolts on Melling oil pumps are a intentionally weaker grade so they cannot be over-tightened and pull the threads in the cast iron oil pump housing. If you try to use "More's Law" on Melling oil pump bottom cover bolts you will break off the bolt heads.

More's Law....If the recommended amount is good...more is better.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 AM
JS-70

Last photo:

The Melling Select pump you want is the 10554 for 3/4 pickup or 10553 for 5/8 pickup. Give Stefs Fabrications a call in Lakewood NJ for pick up and screen 732 367 8700
The Following User Says Thank You to Richiehd For This Useful Post:
sqeezeit (04-25-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 AM

UPDATE ON THE JEGS OIL PUMP PICK UP RETAINER

Apparently Jegs Performance Products 23621 oil pump pick up retainer for a 3/4" pick up tube is either out of stock or discontinued. The Jegs 23620 pick up retainer for a 5/8" pick up tube is still available. The pick up retainers are actually made by Jegs Performance Products and they may have only made a limited number of them. The retainer for a 3/4" tube was probably more poplular and they have sold out and they have no plans to make any more.

If you wire weld the retainer to the inlet tube, you can use the Jegs 23620 for a 5/8" tube on a oil pump with a 3/4" inlet tube. A long pick up tube must use a retainer of some sort.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:54 AM

Melling Weak design pumps.

I already dealt with this issue. Had a few of these weak casting m55 SBC pumps. Easy answer is to use a M77 pump for a BBC. They bolt up, are smoother and more reliable. This does require you to to modify / shorten the drive rod/shaft. and the pick up but they work very well in a SBC oil pan. Also, I don't know who makes the MILODON pumps but they are very heavy casting with no issues and only cost a few dollars more.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:28 AM

Moroso 22090 oil pump driveshaft is 0.125" shorter than a BB Chevy driveshaft and is designed to use a BB Chevy oil pump on a SB Chevy engine. I considered using a BB Chevy oil pump on my 4.3L V6 but during a trial fit, I found that the inlet of the BB Chevy pump was facing towards the rear of the engine and was too close to the back of the oil pan on a V6. That is because the engine is shorter by two cylinders.

A Melling Select 10990 oil pump is a BB Chevy V8 style oil pump that is specifically made to use on a SB Chevy V8 engine. It comes with a special drive shaft.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

Anyone hav thoughts on 5/8" or 3/4" pickup. I and most think the bigger one would be better I'm sure but machinist/builder said for my mild build the 5/8" would work?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:25 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

A 5/8 pickup worked for years on Chevrolets, then they went to a 3/4 pickup a few years back. If I was running a 7 qt pan, I would go with the 3/4 pickup.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:39 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqeezeit View Post
Anyone hav thoughts on 5/8" or 3/4" pickup. I and most think the bigger one would be better I'm sure but machinist/builder said for my mild build the 5/8" would work?
An awful lot of engines have been run up over 7000-7500+ rpm over the years with nothing more than the stock 5/8" pick-up...and no failures.

I definitely don't see the need for 3/4" if this isn't a full-out solid roller cam race type engine.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

2 things I have to confirm then I found 2 or more that will work, both milodon and moroso have them. First is does anyone know if the melling M155hv the same height as the select series 10052 and second thing is the M155hv have the thin casting as the m55 ect..
Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=MouseFink;2294130]Melling has not produced new oil pump pick up assembiles that will fit oil pans using Melling Select HV oil pumps. The Melling Select HV oil pumps have a housing that is .487" longer than a standard pressure housing. The spur gears are .300" longer and the bottom cover is .187" thicker than those used on a standard volume oil pump.

I an using a Melling 10552 oil pump on my '91 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4x4. You must have a pick up custom made by a company such as KEVCO or you must redesign a Melling pick up assembly. In order to use a Melling 10552 oil pump, I cut and shortened the pick up tube on a Melling 259S pick up 1/2" so it would fit the Melling 10552 oil pump and my stock 9-1/4" deep oil pan with 1/2" bottom clearance. I also used a Jegs 23621 pick-up brace and wire welded the brace to the pick up tube, not bolted. Do not use a Melling bolt on pick up...examine one and you will see the reason why. Bolts have a tendency to come loose with engine vibrations and the Meilling bolt-on pick ups are weak where the tube is brazed to the bolt on plate. Engine vibration will cause the pick up to break and fall off, especailly if off-road or solid motor mounts are used.

The bottom cover bolts on Melling oil pumps are a intentionally weaker grade so they cannot be over-tightened and pull the threads in the cast iron oil pump housing. If you try to use "More's Law" on Melling oil pump bottom cover bolts you will break off the bolt heads.

More's Law....If the recommended amount is good...more is better.[/
QUOTE]

Why can't u just use one from moroso(24360)or milodon(18214)?its made for pan just like mine.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.