Hot Rod Forum banner

Melling Select Oil Pump Application

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cobalt327 
#1 ·
Hi I just started another SBC 383 build to day,its for fast road use and some light competition , this time in a volve 240 . So my question is which Melling select oil pump should I use ,as I was unsure which one to use ,and with the distance from me to Summit, I bought a selection of oil pumps, even a standard m55.The Select are 10522 and 10522 C. What attracted me to these pumps was the pick up (Canton20-021) bolts on and is designed to suit the Canton oil pan. ( 15-T 242 is that part number),So The pick up clearence is manufactured for me,
So which pump would be best for fairly high RPM and occasional Competition use 10552 10552 C or even the M55 for which I also have a press fit pick up.?Secondly . does it matter if these pumps have PM gears or steel gears ?. Somestimes the internet can confuse things with too much information , which is what I got when I Googled the subject.Ok my engine building shed is not nascar standards LOL. But its dry and clean

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
HERE'S a thread on the Melling oil pumps.

The "Select" pumps are recommended by Melling for use in solid motor mount and/or high performance apps, whatever that's supposed to mean. To be safe, use the Select line.

Melling supplies their castings to others, so the problem is not just Melling-branded pumps. Other pumps to watch out for:

Melling M55
Melling M55A
Melling M55HV
Sealed Power 224-4143
Moroso 22100
Moroso 22135
Canton #21-500

The sheet below is what's supplied w/the standard-type pumps:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.