Messed up the base coat on first paint job! Need Help!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Messed up the base coat on first paint job! Need Help!!!

So I've been trying to flip this Saturn SC2 I bought for 900 dollars because I thought it would be a great learning experience, and god damn does my brain hurt... I fudged it up right from the beginning when I started sanding with 80 grit and worked my way up to 400 but not well enough because the scratches were still visible with 4 layers of base coat. Then I had to get the frame pulled a bit and go through this huge repair on the bumper, which I painted and cleared off the car a day before and it turned out beautiful. I am lucky that the body shop guys that are letting me rent some space are helping me as much as they are. But I was supposed to have been painted and cleared by now but the base was so bad I had to get more time and more paint, I spent today sanding it a bit with 1000 grit for 2 days from now when the paint comes in.

My problem is that when I put on the 4th coat of base I was getting a seam right down the middle of the roof and on particularly one of the sides of the car I wasn't able to have the paint go on without a seam from where I had painted one panel and had moved on to the next. So it looked like I had a streak of no coverage in the middle of the roof and in between the door and the quarter panel. I don't know if this matters but it's black paint.
So it'd mean so much to me if someone could tell me what I did wrong, in a few days I will need to know how to correct what was wrong with me because if I don't I'll lose minimal 1000 dollars on this car.

Looking back, I wasn't pulling the trigger 100%, usually 90%, but I felt it was just dumping when I was doing it 100%, maybe I should lower the pressure of the gun and always go 100%. Maybe the seams were made because of the pressure being too high or maybe the gun was too close or maybe my pattern was too slow.

Lol, please someone help me...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 PM
MOPAR Guy

Last journal entry: Restoration of my Chrysler
Last photo:

I guess my first question would be what the environmental conditions were... Were you painting outside, or in a paint booth of some kind? Also, what was the temperature like? Was there wind/large amount of air current? It sounds like the paint was drying too quick...

The only way I know to avoid "seam lines" between painted areas is to have the whole car wet at once... either that or take the individual pieces off and paint them separately...
Old 08-15-2011, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

Interesting point. I'm in a booth with a vent and all doors are closed. But a few people were popping in and out in the process to check it out, I didn't get a spec of dust in the base so I didn't think anything of it. Having said that maybe I can ask if the fan can be lowered. But another theory I have is what if the gun was too close and the air was bouncing off the car making the almost dry paint instantly dry. It's pissing me off because in all the videos I see people don't seem to worry about seams at all, they paint half a roof, finish off half the car, then go to the other side and hit the other half of the roof... Like wtf is that. I can't even get two doors to seam together.
Well I'm going in there at 11 to spray my 2 coats and hope I've subconsciously learned what I need to of learned to get this done.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.