Hot Rod Forum banner

Metal Fab question! Extending frame...

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  astroracer 
#1 ·
Here's the question: What is the best or easiest way to extend a frame? I need two more inches.

I got an s-10 chassis that I am using under my 63 nova for strength when I drop the 396ci in it. The s-10 has a 108in. wheel base and the nova is 110in. I picked the s10 up through a great deal, couldn't pass it up.... so i bought it and now feeling intimedated about cutting it. I am tubbing the nova, but I don't want the wheel base to look goofy under the nova when I get it all together. I don't know anything about how the metal will flex or whatever when I cut the frame in 2 or how to keep it straight to insert 2 more inches of frame... HELP!!!

Help a girl out! Pleeeeeeeeesse :D

#5 ·
I think lengthening the frame would be MUCH easier then moving ALL of the suspension components. Remember you will have to move the front spring mounts, rear shackles and upper shock mounts and many times these components will require a lot of fabrication to "re-mount" them in a different spot on the frame. Especially when you have to move crossmembers to make room.
I would go to a junk yard and get a short piece of rail out of a junk frame and use that to do the job. Don't do a square cut though. Cut the old frame at a 45* angle and add some reinforcement to the back side of the seam.
You will also need to have the driveshaft lengthened to match.
Is this a Blazer frame? A truck frame will have a hell of a kick-up in the back which would need trimming to fit under the trunk floor of your Nova .
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.