Metal Fabrication book review. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Metal Fabrication book review.

I posted this on a thread about metal forming and thought a new thread was in order. The first time I picked up the Ron Fournier book I knew I HAD to own it and I didn't put it down for weeks. If you have any interest at all in making panels or repairing panels these books are a MUST HAVE. Besides, with all the money we will spend on tools and parts, they are a heck of a bargin. I have bought a number of videos and DVDs from both these guys and others as well, they are all very good. But these books a WAY more info than even all the videos and DVDs I have. They are really jamb packed with info and entertainment. Check them out, you won't be able to put them down either.

Click here for "Advanced sheet metal fabrication" book ($25.00).

This book includes many fabricators including Ron Covell. It includes some absolutly AMAZING fabrication of many items. The one that blows me away the most a gas tank that has a very intricate work that is totally metal finished. And I mean POLISHABLE metal finishing, not pile on the primer metal finishing, it looks like a friggin mirror! It has start to finish sequences with a number of master craftsmen making motorcycle tanks and bodies and fenders, vintage auto fenders, templates, bucks, hundreds and hundreds of clear color photos.

Click here for Ron Fourniers "Metal Fabricators handbook"($18.95).

This book covers just about everything from tools to use of large and small hand made tools. It has everything from simple panel forming on a wood buck for a scoop to making a complete new hood skin. There are chapters on both gas and electric welding, basic metal shaping, hammer forming, tubing (roll bars, headers), building fuel and oil tanks, steel and aluminum interior panels, scoops, flares, spoilers, mathmatical formulas on areas, material size and use references, hand tools, large tools, etc.

If you don't have a paypal account, get one. With it you can go to either of these sites and get the book coming in the mail in less than a minute. In three or four days it will be in your mail box. I know, I have done business with both of these excellent suppliers.

If you have any interest at all in this subject, I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend these two books. There are many others, but I personally have these two and can vouch for them as being EXCELLENT. This is coming, not from a master fabricator, he doesn't even need a book like this right? This is coming from a guy who, like you, "can" do something like this with help. I can look at this book and be amazed, but not in disbelief if you get my point. It "demystifies" the art, if you have the basic skills to do metal shaping like fixing a dent, you will see how this work isn't that hard.

Yes, you can get the books a dollar or two cheaper at Amazon or the like. I feel that buying them direct from the source is better for the industry. Like I said, they are sooooooo reasonably priced (about as much as the lame CD you bought last month of the latest one hit wonder).

Brian

Advertisement

Last edited by MARTINSR; 03-25-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
F1 Owner (10-28-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 10:21 PM
bobs77vet

Last journal entry: frame repair
Last photo:

i'll check those out at the book store thanks for the review, bob
Old 03-26-2006, 05:31 AM
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper

Last photo:

Hi Brian,

These books are great reference books. Also check out Ron Fournier's first book... it's called something like "Metal Fabricators handbook for race and custom car".

John
Old 03-26-2006, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

John, that is actually the Ron Fournier book I have. I didn't mention it because I don't believe it is available anymore. I picked up the later "Metal Fabricators handbook" and see a lot of the same stuff that is in the "race and custom car" book I have. I figured that they "revised" the book and put it under a different name??

Anyway, I have seen them on Ebay as well for a good price if used is the way a guy wanted to go.

Brian
Old 03-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper

Last photo:

Hi Brian,

It is a different book. It is still available on Ron's site:

http://www.fournierenterprises.com/BookPage.html#WE001

Well worth the money to get both.

John
Old 03-27-2006, 06:17 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Brian,
I'd have to say you are fully addicted. No cure, sorry. You are a metalshaper trapped in a bodyman's body. I can see you making medival armor, walking into work with a mace, and asking who was messing with your "cart"(That you keep parts on)...

The way I see it, you will be making the trip to Robinson, Illinois this fall and meet up with Randy and the rest of the Metalmeet guys.

I have hit the regionals at Dutch Comstocks for the last 2 years, and won't miss it this year either!
Old 03-27-2006, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Beenaway, I am not sure if I will be going to metalmeet but I sure would love to get my home shop up and going again (kids take more time than a full on restoration!)

John, I am such an ***, I have both books!! I am sitting there at the computer and looking for at my books on the shelf and noticed the other sitting there! I was wondering why I couldn't find more hammer forming in the "Race Car and Custom" the other one has Ron making a complete intake manifold for a small block Ford out of sheet metal by hammer forming!!!! No, you are right, there are a few things that are in both books. But the majority and WHAT a majority is all new. I HIGHLY recommend all three books.

Brian
Old 03-27-2006, 11:35 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Brian-
I know you have learned alot of new things within the last 18 months or so, but I still think you'd be blown away by the cumulative efforts of these guys. Do you frequent Metalmeet.com ? Great site, and I am sure you've been there. Not much of a BSing type place, but the info you can get is incredible.

How did that "Dominator"(?) tool work that he guy sent you. I never kept up on the results.

Jeff

P.S.. I just thought I would take this moment to give you the "props" you deserve. You are truly an asset to the site.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:21 AM

I was asking why I couldn't find more mallet framing in the "Race Car and Custom" the other one has making a complete allow complex for a little shut Ford out of sheet metal by sledge forming..
Old 10-28-2013, 05:33 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Glad you guys are finding this stuff! The thread is only 9 years old glad to see it is still useful...
Old 10-28-2013, 06:23 AM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

This is one area I would like to get more experience since I do heavy metal fabrication at work. Time to buy a few of the books and some tools.

I went over to the metal meet site. That looks like it could make for a fun weekend where I could learn a lot. It looks like there is one in MN so that's a plus. I'll have to plan for it next summer.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenchDeal View Post
I was asking why I couldn't find more mallet framing in the "Race Car and Custom" the other one has making a complete allow complex for a little shut Ford out of sheet metal by sledge forming..
steel fabrication Queensland
Old 10-29-2013, 08:40 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

just ordered both books used for about $8 each. thx for the heads up.

Last edited by tech69; 10-29-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:00 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

the advanced metal shaping book is very good. Covell seems good for the beginner, Fay Butler appears to be a mad scientist, and Craig Naff is just a true natural and seems to take a practical approach. The Fournier book is pretty good too. Lots of stuff on race cars and gives you a general idea/approach to metal shaping. They are both good books to insight of these truly talented metal shapers.

Any reviews on english wheeling and bead rolling books?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.