metal flake painting - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004, 07:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

metal flake painting

I'am trying to paint a motorcycle gas tank, I already sprayed the basecoat (Purple) I have some Fuchsia metal flakes, can I mix the metal flakes into the clear coat and spray over the base coat? As I'am sure you can tell this is my 1st time painting , I'd really appriciate any feedback--Thanks Dennis

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 08:42 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:

Hi Dennis,
You CAN do it that way, but I've found I get better results mixing flakes, pearls, etc. with an intercoat clear (clear basecoat). The intercoat clear flashes faster and seems to allow better orientation of the flake. Topcoat clear tends to run much easier the the intercoat clear too, and as a result, the flakes will bunch up if you get even the slightest sag.

Randy Ferguson
Ferguson Coachbuilding
www.metalmeet.com
Old 12-09-2004, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

thanks Randy--I'am not sure if I understand , do you mean I could mix some flakes with clear coat and spray right onto the Primed surface? thanks again Dennis
Old 12-09-2004, 09:01 PM

Re: metal flake painting

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawdennis
I'am trying to paint a motorcycle gas tank, I already sprayed the basecoat (Purple) I have some Fuchsia metal flakes, can I mix the metal flakes into the clear coat and spray over the base coat? As I'am sure you can tell this is my 1st time painting , I'd really appriciate any feedback--Thanks Dennis
Hiya Dennis...we normally spray our base, allow to 15 min to flash. Put your flakes in the clear, spray 1 coat and allow to flash. If you want just a lil bit, enough to know its there stop at one coat. However, if you want the bassboat look, just put more coats on until you get the look you want. Be sure to allow plenty of drying time. Clean your gun and then put 3-4 more coats of clear on top of your flakes. This will make it to where you can't feel the flakes after its all said and done. Some shrinking may occur, allow a month to dry and then buff it. Luckily you are only doing a cycle tank and not a whole car!! A lil secret, this is also a great way to paint engines. You can pretty much choose any color you want, and we metal flake most of our engines. Holds up to heat and because of all the clear they clean up really easy.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:

Not knowing what type of paint you are using makes it a little tough to give you the right advice, but the intercoat clear is just a clear basecoat, used primarily for this purpose. PPG calls theirs DBC500 color blender. I think most companies has a similar product. Anyway, you just mix the flake with the intercoat clear and go straight over your basecoat, then proceed with the topcoat clear. I hope this helps to clear it up!!

Randy
Old 12-09-2004, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

Thanks so much Randy--I understand now--Dennis
Old 12-10-2004, 07:11 AM

Last photo:

i usually always use intercoat clear with pearls and you can get away with it on ultra fine flake but with normal or large size flakes i usually always mix into clearoat and use the slowest activator possible. this allows the clear to stay wet a little longer and gives the flakes a chace to lay down. when you spray, some will be on edge and basecoat flashes real fast so they wont get a chace to do that and it will take a ton of clear to cover. if some are on edge and you are finished clearcoating, when you sand everything smooth you will get small silver sparkles in your finish where you have sanded the flakes that were sticking up. you do have to worry about runs and sags like randy said, if you get one the flakes will look bunched up and just accent the run. mix the flakes so you get the coverage you want in 1 to 3 coats after the flakes mix up some regular clear and spray 2 coats on top. allow plenty of flash time between coats especially if you go over a total of 3 coats. when done let sit in warm temp. for a few days then wetsand smooth with 4 or 600 grit then reclearcoat. let sit again in warm temp for a fay or two then wetsand and buff.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:54 PM

Last photo:

thanks

Thanks Guys + Gals for all your help, I'am going to give it a try next week--Dennis

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.