Metal forming - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2002, 08:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Metal forming

Hi, I've these awful aftermarket quarter panels for my '69 Pontiac 2+2. They don't have the right curvature[ or lack of] and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Basically the aftermarket quarter comes down the side of the car vertically, then makes a bend towards the car at the bottom. Problem is I need a inward sweep before that bend.This will have to travel down the entire panel. If you want a better idea copy and paste this-http://plummer.sharewareonline.com/Pontiac/wpe30.jpg

I've thought about bending it over a length of pipe but it's just an idea.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2002, 09:00 PM

By the way - how do you get an image to show up on your post? THanks!
Old 10-13-2002, 09:07 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

ponchowerx you have a good idea. just be carful when bending over a pipe not to go to far. metal forming uses anything with the right shape. Try the pipe idea it should work to your satisfaction. Also finding a larger peice of pipe (PVC) with the right inside shape cut down can work as a 'female' type mold. Cut two peices the same with the correct shape and sandwitch them together and clamp them together in the center and let it sit for a few or overnight and you should be good to go. If you need anymore help let me know.

HK
Old 10-13-2002, 09:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

One of the best ways to form sheet metal is to fill some sacks with sand (lead shot is the best but finding 300 pds of lead shot can be hard to find!) and place your panel onto the bags. With the punch/pipe you intend to use as your forming tool press carefully using your knee or feet. The idea is to support the panel across it's surface and then using a punch to do the forming, the amount of force depends on the length of the bend. A couple of big heavy friends can come in handy. Ensure your sand bags are smooth and level and have no rocks in them, a well groomed and raked piece of beach works too. Don't ask how I found this out. The key in all die making is to remember to wrap the material around the punch, not force the punch into the material. A suitably shaped piece of wood works good too, just remember to do a little at a time since it is difficult to go back.

The professional alternative is an English wheel, any kind of crease or bend can be accomplished on an English wheel with the right roller wheels.

Good luck.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Very true, an english wheel is best. Just as 4 Jaw stated the sand in cloth bags will provide support but yet let you get the shape you desire. I have many sand and steel shot "bean bags" to work with. Do to the size and weight of the peeice of metal you are trying to form the easiest way would be to use a sand bag, but do to the awkward shape of the fender getting at the area your trying to form will be difficult. Use two different height tables or stacks of stuff you have laying around to stabalize the fender. Like 4 Jaw says go slow.

HK

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.