Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Is metal in the oil filter a bad thing? :(
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2004, 08:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I am running a carquest/wix filter, and the bypass is not plugged.......which is probably a bad thing. I suppose that it could have easily pumped trash to the bearings......DAMMIT. This is a flat tappet cam and I am running full floating pins. Guides are factory cast iron and the pump is a HVHP Melling.

Honestly I have never run a magnetic plug before and I have never cut filters apart before. This is the most money I have sunk into an engine and the most power I have tryed to make so it has gotten special treatment. I really just did not have a base line for what was normal in the wear in process. I will go ahead and unfold the filter and get all the crap out and take a picture.

I may go ahead and run the engine just a bit with the filter until it warms up and see what it looks like. I think that you guys are probably right about pulling the engine, but I just did not want to hear it. The one wild card is the used turbo that i bought off of ebay and did not rebuild. There is the possibility that it was on and engine that fragged and it was packed full of bearing material and metal. I did spray some cleaner through it, but did not disassemble it. The turbo also uses bronze bearings.

I will run it a little and see how it looks and then let you know and post pics of what I found in the filter at first inspection.

Chris