metal plugs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2009, 06:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

metal plugs

Are there any companies that make an assortment of round sheet metal plugs for filling holes.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2009, 08:45 AM

Last journal entry: More painting pics
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasrking
Are there any companies that make an assortment of round sheet metal plugs for filling holes.
Thanks
Could you make your own plugs with a hole saw kit?
I have a Blu Mol kit that seems to work fairly well on sheet metal.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Flat washers can be used along with a mig welder to fill up MOST of the hole. Or use the knockout plugs from electrical boxes, just grind down to the size you need.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

Try to keep plug thickness fairly close to sheet metal thickness to facilitate proper weld penetration. It is ok for plug to be a bit thicker.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:11 AM

Last photo:

If you have any sheet metal stamping plants in your area I was able to get a pail of plugs years ago from when they would punch holes in panels.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Yeah, it really depends on what you are pluging. And of course how big the hole. On large holes a half inch or better using a simple pair of offset tin snips you can do just about anything in seconds using the exact same thickness as the body metal you are working with.

"Offset" tin snips are often over looked by bodymen for some reason. You can cut across the middle of a sheet of metal for three feet cutting a nearly perfect line with almost no distortion. OR, you can cut a round piece the size of a dime shaving off a fraction of an inch with each cut. A pair of sharp offsets will allow you to shave off a strip of metal from an edge a 32nd of an inch or smaller! I honestly don't understand why more guys don't have them in their boxes. Where as straight tin snips I find are almost useless!

One of the MANY tips I got out of a GREAT video by Ron Covell "Basic Techniques of working with metal" is to use the hole punch to make the plugs! A "Roper Whitney" hole punch is a VERY valuable tool around a body shop or garage where you are doing fabing or body repair replacing panels that sort of thing.

The cool thing is the punch pushes the metal thru it's die and leaves this perfect round piece of metal with a dent in the middle where it shoved it thru the die. I threw them away never thinking a thing about it until I saw the first five minutes of this video. In it Ron shows you how take a hole in a body and drill it to the size hole you will punch in a blank sheet of metal with your punch. So, now you have the hole in enlarged to the perfect size. You take the little round piece you punched out of a piece of scrap and you lay it in the enlarged hole on your body. You back it with a dolly and then set this "plug" in the hole. You then tap on the dent in the plug flattening it out. This flattening makes it larger spreading it out to fit tight in the hole! You then weld it around the edge and WHAM, hole filled!

You can even get square punches for this punch! A VERY good tool to have around! I have both the "jr" and the "XX" and have used them reguarly for years. I couldn't imagine working around car and truck bodies without them.

There are cheap versions, buy them if you must, but I sprung for the real thing and have never said "I wish I would have bought the cheaper tool".

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 06-28-2009 at 08:56 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.