Metal prep before applying epoxy primer on Frame - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2013, 04:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Thats cool ...It sounded like some kind of mirical rust treatment...
That trucks been done a while hows that Por-15 holding up???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I'm a big ospho user and I've done frames with ospho and a big wire wheel ,all I gotta say is holly crap thats a lot of work theres no way I'll do it like that again...
SAND BLAST that frame or(better yet) Have someone blast that frame, as cheap as I am THATS the one thing I'll gladly pay someone to do the job comes out SO much better...
When the frame comes back Then you can use ospho if you want , it'll help keep any surface rust off the frame plus if theres any small amounts of rust still in there it'll remove it and stop it from getting any worse ...it'll give you plenty of time to properly prep the frame for epoxy ...
although I wont blast sheetmetal, blasting the thicker stuff is always what I would do...its so much easier and faster...and it does a better job...
I am with you Mike, I am on a very tight budget and I am very cheap to boot, and on top of that I want to do everything I can because I love doing it. But sandblasting my frame, NO WAY BABY. I just called the place yesterday to find out how much it costs (they were closed so I don't have a number yet). I am working that number into my budget just like buying parts or materials, it is just part of the cost of building a car.

Brian
Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Sandblasting is the way to go on a frame, if you got the money, next best trick grinders and wire wheels ,Follow it up with Ospho, RustMort or Master coat rust remover and prep. Top it off with two coats of the moisture cured silver primer followed by AG 111 NYC anti-graffiti paint.this system is used a lot on bridges and offers many years of service life . Complete chassis kit is 69 bucks includes primer ,paint with hardner and solvent so it doesn't break the bank.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Thats cool ...It sounded like some kind of mirical rust treatment...
That trucks been done a while hows that Por-15 holding up???
mirical rust treatment... lol. painfully slow rust treatment is more like it.
i tried it on a body panel just to see. 5 min later i had a clean strip 1/2'' wide and 2'' long

por15 is doing well. i didn't top coat it but it never sees the sun under there
it seems to be durable, i like it for brush on, flow out finish
and the fact you can touch up when you drill a hole or weld on a missed bracket
Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 AM
Mustang RUSToration & Peforman

OK, been using products like these for over 30 years. I like to same money as well. No reason to buy name brand rust/metal etches. YOu can get phosphoric acid materials at your local box store. They sell them sometimes under concrete cleaners. You will save lots, promise. I wipe the acid off with a paper towel. I induce no water into this equation. Wipe it off before it has a chance to dry. If it dries, wet it again and work it around, then remove with paper towels. Not fan of POR, but do like the Master Series as a base. If you have POR and want to use it, use it as a top coat on top of MS. MS has a line that is awesome, the AG111 for a topcoat. But use whatever top coat you like over the silver MS primer. For whatever it'sa worth, I am a user of epoxy. I use epoxy so much that some jobs are exclusively done with epoxy primer,. But if the metal is rusted, I use MS first, then my epoxy and normal materials.
The Following User Says Thank You to PetesPonies For This Useful Post:
desotolewis (02-18-2014)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.