Metal Prep and Epoxy Primer.... No so fast ! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 07:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Metal Prep and Epoxy Primer.... No so fast !

I have very limited resources where I live.... that is why I come here.... for help.....

Now,

I am chemically stripping my father's car and we are hoping to use a Metal Prep before we Prime because we have space issues etc and there will be some time before the primer goes on.....

I have read that Metal Prep's and Epoxy Primers may not mix that well on top of each other....

I would like to know what combo's of these you guys have used that will satisfy my situation.....

I don't have a paint tech/rep anywhere near me... I have to order everything...

Ospho works with _(blank)____Epoxy Primer ?

Por 15 Metal Prep works with _(blank)_____ Epoxy Primer ?

The more brand names the better I am not up to speed on a lot of the letter designations....

thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 07:28 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

strip it , wash with water to neutralize the stripper, clean well with wax and grease remover the 2 coats of spi epoxy. your good until your ready to prime. the days of acid etch are long gone and were for getting a bond with lacquer. it is advised against by just about all paint mfgrs . call their tech line and get your info from the ones who make it.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Last photo:

Listen to Shine, he knows his **it. I would follow his advice to the letter.

Vince
Old 09-11-2009, 08:31 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

dont listen to me or anyone else on this. call ppg or dupont or whoever you use . i use spi and it is not recommended period. you need nothing under epoxy but clean metal. no acids of any kind.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I have been doing the epoxy primer for several years now and I have parts that are 3-4 years since they were cleaned and epoxied and they show no rust..we did a complete 38 olds body that way about 3 years ago with the SPI epoxy and it shows no rust and for quite some time it set out in the weather..I have not had that kind of result from any other product. Should be noted most of these projects are long term..when we get around to it all I will do is scuff the epoxy and proceed with paint and body work..

Sam
Old 09-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
dont listen to me or anyone else on this. call ppg or dupont or whoever you use . i use spi and it is not recommended period. you need nothing under epoxy but clean metal. no acids of any kind.
Alright, don't listen to Shine , but do not under any circumstances use PPG epoxy...it is the pits.

Vince
Old 09-11-2009, 01:47 PM

Ok, so I do SPI expoxy over bare metal lets say I do a hood one afternoon if I start the hood it needs to be completely stripped both sides, cleaned and expoxied the same day "Yes" ?

What if I had to leave the metal overnight ? Most likely I will get rusty panel overnight then what ? If I don't use a metal prep am I not getting myself into trouble ?

Thanks for all the help guys !
Old 09-11-2009, 02:13 PM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

i blast and then wash with water. a little surface rust is no big deal. most times it is iron ore in your water that you are seeing. scuff it and epoxy it.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Just a preemptive note to let people know that I've identified this as an extremely common question, and a series of wiki articles addressing "Bare Metal to Primer" issues is on-deck. We have decent development in the area of getting down to bare metal (Stripping paint, Media blasting, Sandblasting, Soda blasting, Rust, Pitted rust) but not enough development in the area of getting from bare metal to primer. We do have a basic Epoxy primer article, but I'd like to develop that area of the wiki further. I'd also like to get to the point where our pros do not have to repeat themselves on these common issues.

I don't foresee myself having time to tackle this issue until this coming week at the earliest, but if anyone else wants to get it started, you can use this link to start a new wiki article: Start a new wiki article. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:42 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

Quote:
what he said, I've been told that by a painter when I went for my bodywork repair degree
Old 09-15-2009, 05:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
strip it , wash with water to neutralize the stripper, clean well with wax and grease remover the 2 coats of spi epoxy. your good until your ready to prime. the days of acid etch are long gone and were for getting a bond with lacquer. it is advised against by just about all paint mfgrs . call their tech line and get your info from the ones who make it.
WASH IT WITH WATER?????? hahahaha Try laquer thinner and a red scuff pad and you wont get any instant surface rust then do panel by panel prime as you go...SPI epoxy is the best I've used so far (35yrs)
Old 09-15-2009, 05:46 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

you ever read tech sheets ? there is no chemstrip or acid made that does not neutralize with water period. lacquer thinner does not neutralize acid of any kind and is not a cleaning solvent. clean bare steel is what is needed for epoxy. nothing else. we wash ever car that is blasted with soap and water to remove contaminates and blast media then blow dry and epoxy.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:39 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

REALLY????? I'm so glad you told me this, since I've been doing it all my life but then again I dont do fiberglass cars I do metal one's that rust and dent and all sorts of stuff.Tell ya what guys try it both ways on a fender since you would be the unbiased judges then let us ALL know which works best. That'll end this debate once and for all.... My way;chem strip,clean with laquer and redscuff pad,wax& greese remover.ospho,applied with red scuff pad wipe off excess with paper shop towel,after dry (24hrs)sand with 180 or 320 and epoxy prime....Ospho's 10-$15.00 per quart read directions BTW I live in the rust belt(east coast) from NY to FLA where its important to properly treat metal before wasting 1000 hrs restoring a car only to have it last a couple years

Last edited by deadbodyman; 09-15-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

a professional follows the procedures set forth by the mfg . since i use spi i follow Barry's procedure which is absolutely no acid and no lacquer thinner below his epoxy. Barry has stated this time and time again here but he no longer post here because he grew tired of arguing with people about a product he makes himself. many other professionals have stopped posting here for the same reason . your welcome to do anything you like but to give advise contradictory to mfg procedures is irresponsible and confusing to the novice . my advice to anyone visiting this site is to contact the tech department of the paint mfg you are going to use and follow their procedure to the letter. if they recommend a metal prep the by all means use it . paint strippers have tech lines also and will tell you how to neutralize stripper .
Old 09-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Last photo:

I agree, if a chemical stripper is used it needs to be neutralized with water, be it a steel or glass car. Acid or caustic stripper residue left on the surface can and will cause a myriad of problems.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.