Hot Rod Forum banner

Metal working question

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Jag Daddy 
#1 ·
I need to bevel a square piece of .500 inch thick aluminum at 45 degree angle on all 4 sides about the thickness of the block. I also need to remove .130 from each side of the bottom so the block will fit inside a square piece of tubing. Since I don't have a mill (yet) so what would be the next best way to do this so that the sides all come out perfect? When it's doen it going to be polished so I can't be sloppy here.

Basically I need to make an end cap for the square tubing.

Thanks
Mark:thumbup:

#2 ·

I used a router with a 1/4" carbide endmill and a speed controller when I cut out the step plates for my truck.. Made some masonite templates and used dbl sided tape to hold the pattern on the plate. Worked well enough I wouldn't hesitate to do it again...
:thumbup:
Mark

#4 ·
No cutting fluid... That just gums up the works. I ran the router at about 60%. This was after doing a few test cuts to determine the best speed to keep the aluminum from galling and sticking to the cutter.

#6 ·
I wouldn't try it... To big and bulky, no control and you won't really be able to see what you're doing... A die grinder with a cut off wheel is probably your best tool for that kind of work... next to a plasma cutter.

#12 ·
Ok here is another question, I have some square 3 inch tubing that I need to cut and face. Is there anyway I can use a lathe with a 3 jaw chuck? I have a very nice lathe at work that is just sitting there because no one needs it any more.

Also whats is the best way of cutting tubing to get a decent straight cut. I don't have a metal chop saw (yet)

Regards
Mark :thumbup:

#13 ·
Question #1:
A 3 jaw isn't going to work with a four sided piece of material... BUT... you could turn a mandrel to fit (tightly) inside of the square tubing. Make it a press fit and you should be able to face the tube with no slippage.
Question #2:
Anyway you cut it, whether it's a bandsaw or chopsaw, needs to be verified that it's straight and square. Either way will work. The chopsaw is much faster and you can get one at Harbour Freight for less then 100 bucks. I got mine on sale for $50 last spring... Check out the first few frames in my journal for pics.
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.