View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred56 View Post
I just shot my firewall in silver w/(.015) metlalflake which was listed as HotRod Flake. The problem is that it isn't the look I wanted. I guess I need bigger flake. Does anyone know what size the flakes come in? What gun to use, regular high pressure or HVLP? What size tip do I need(bigger than 1.2)?

I appreciate any help I can get.

By the way I tried to shoot the basecoat w/flake and it blocked up my HVLPgun(1.2 tip). I finished shooting with a regular gun.

Is it normal to have a lot of flake flying thru the air and landing on the ground?

Thanks
Lets get this straight, I have painted for 35 years but only dabbled in any custom paint so take this as just tossing something out there. But the flake flying around, oh yeah looks like a friggin sci-fi movie.

The last time I did something I tried something that someone told me and it worked well. I sprayed a coat of clear on the subject. I then poured the flake onto it with a paper under it to catch all the stuff that didn't stick. I literally patted the stuff flat with my hands! I scooped up the stuff off the paper and put more on until it was all covered. I then buried that in clear and cut it flat and put a flow coat and it worked great. It was a very small piece but it worked well.

I don't know about the bigger flake, but HOK has a tech sheet to follow! Here it is with flake size and gun recommendations, everything you will find on a tech sheet. http://www.houseofkolor.com/PDF/Tech...ish/FLAKES.pdf

Brian