Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Metallic Base/Clear Issue
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 AM

Last journal entry: G8 GT 2
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I don't have any technical explanation but the way I see it is the more high solids products of today don't flash as fast so they are just laying there wet and soaking in. They also use things like acetone and oxhall (spelling?) as a solvent because they are heavy and don't go up into our atmosphere, thus "low VOC" (or NO VOC actually) and they just sit there in the film taking a long time to leave.

That's how my brain sees it anyway.

Brian

I re-shot it, and was extra careful with the clear... the first 2 coats were basically dusted on, and the 3rd and 4th progressively wetter. Came out perfect.

I think you are right in that it has something to do with the new paint. This is PPG Omni MBX, which is essentially a 1K.... there is no hardener, only the base and reducer.

When I shot tri-stage and did other jobs in the past, I always used DBU or DBC with DX57 hardener, which when cured will not allow the base coat to "re-melt" as easily if there was extra solvent from runs in the clear.

Last edited by johnyIROC; 04-24-2012 at 11:19 AM.