Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Metallic Base/Clear Issue
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 07:42 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Often if you spray the base dryer, use a fast reducer and let it flash good you can get away with it.

If it's a real small place you can get away with murder, you don't want to push this out too far though the adhesion can be poor because you aren't spraying wet enough for it to stick to the previous coat good.

But I have pushed this to the limit, I am talking "dusting" a little base over, NO WHERE NEAR coverage, I am talking something like "overspray" no where near a "coat". Just dust some, leave it for a while and come back and dust a little more, leave it. Build up a layer over the top of that sensitive area one dust after another until you have it covered. Then a "light coat" to distribute the metallic properly and to get it a "little" wet so it sticks around the edges. Let that flash a long time, depending on the shop temp, we could be talking hours. Then come back and clear over it.

This is a gamble, but you would be surprised how much you can get away with. Like I said, it's cheating and if you push it with too large of an area you are going to have trouble though.

But think about it, if the solvent in the base is what is causing this lifting, the and no solvent (paint) painted there it doesn't lift, there is a point of solvent you could apply there, a very tiny amount that won't lift it. So you do just that, apply that tiny amount. Then again, and again, and again until it's covered. Once it's covered it is often a barrier.

The best way is to sand that area out and get some primer down. But that too can lift it, and you have to spray the primer real dry too. Or use a water borne primer which will cover just about anything.

Brian