metallic base isuses - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 06:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

metallic base isuses

I am a automotive tech and i use a devilbiss gfg 670 with a 1.4 tip and the pressure i spray with is 40psi and and line pressure is 90 psi, and when i spay a coarse metallic color in basf glasurit on hood of cars i notice that the color is bloching on the hood any advice how to fix this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 07:06 PM

Last photo:

Think of it this way.
When you mix the metallic paint, and let it sit in a cup, and do not stir it, the metal flakes settle to the bottom of the cup. The paint looks different from the top of the cup, to the bottom.
The same thing happens when you spray it on a panel. If you spray "wet" the flakes have more time to settle down, and look one way. If you spray "dry" the flakes pretty much stay the way they hit the panel, and cannot settle much. The paint looks different than the "wet" sprayed panel.
The cure, you have to be very consistent on how you spray the panel. The overlaps have to be exact. The gun angle has to be exact. The speed has to be exact. No fanning away from the panel at the end of the stroke. You need good light.
I have found sometimes I can make the panel look better by spraying the second coat 90 degrees to the first coat.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 PM

I do a drop coat to eliminate blotching... drop psi to 18-20 and back your gun distance... consistant overlaps and adequately aggetated paint with this technique ensures 95% of blotch issues are eliminated... at least in my experience... just beware of the blue poly interested to hear what the pros do tho?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

bloching and tiger strips ......if its not air pressure set to high or an uneven pattern from the gun,try spraying it a little drier..(move faster).the most common mistake I see is people spraying a base nice and even and shinny like a SS ...base should look dull and blochy when wet but nice and even when it dries.
I spray two coats then fog in a few X pattern coats and never get stripes even with the cheap stuff like Nason...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.