Metallic Pads (Brakes) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2004, 01:02 PM
YoungPuP454

Wiki Edits: 0

Exclamation Metallic Pads (Brakes)

I work for a company that works on brakes all the time,
I almost have my Automotive Service Tech license and it has been a long 5 years
I just put brake pads and rotors on a Nissan, i checked everything over and everything was fine. I took it for a road test and i thought everything sounded fine. My boss hoped in the seat and took it for a spin and told me that there should be no noise at all. When the pads touch the rotor there is a faint grinding noise. I have checked everything on this vehicle, they are raybestos brake pads. I keep saying that it is the metallic in the pads that are causing that grinding noise. I have talk to other people and they say they have the same noise and i have the same noise in my car. What is the actual problem that is going on, if any one knows why this is happening i would like to know. And if some one could tell me the proper way to break in new brake pads on a vehicle i will appreciate it
Thanks

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2004, 12:48 AM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

first q., is your boss an AST? or does he just think he is? a full metallic brake pad is very agressive, and will commonly make a slight noise when applied, especially if the rotors are an inferior grade. what happens is that the pads are made from a metallic substance, and are usually used in heavier duty and hi perf. applications due to their ability to absorb and transfer large amounts of heat energy. when you look at the pad surface, you will notice that it seems to look fairly rough. being metal and abrasive, a slight grinding(faint) is acceptable. unfortunately, i don't know of any way to break in metallic pads to cure this. also, if the rotors weren't designed for a full metallic pad, you could experiance premature rotor failiure due to the abrasive quality of the pads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2004, 06:06 AM

Last photo:

Yes, semi-metallics are known for noise, especially before seating, very abrasive! I would advise switching to carbon met., or ceramic, better heat transfer and less rotor damage, but then again, no rotors to change as often= less business! Try 3 or 4 40mph heavy stops, not enough to overheat em though!
Old 05-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Last photo:

Yes, metallic pads are noisier than normal pads. Your boss does not know what he is talking about IMO. I would ditch the metallic pads if the noise is an issue and go with carbon. I put a set of carbon pads on the wifes Tahoe and it made a world of difference, no fading any more. Aside from the dust on the wheels (a little messier), I like em.

Vince
Old 05-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

for sure, anything will be quieter than those chunks of steel!LOL
like wrencher said, ceramic pads are also a good option.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:09 PM
YoungPuP454

Smile

I thank you all for the replies, My boss is a License A Mechanic, And his diagnosis skills suck to me anyway, half the time he is wrong or makes up stuff i think and doesn't even look at the cars to say what is wrong with them. As far as the brakes we put on cars are cheap rotors and the raybestos brake pads (Metallic).
I personally like the ceramic pads. But of coarse the boss says it is just a money grabber LoL, i don't think he knows what he is talking about.

Thank you Wrencher for the seating in trick, it worked for my vehicle, i was also told that you can ride the brake for about a half a mile and the brakes will seat in, Is this true ,BUT won't it overheat the rotors. going a half a mile

The next time I have to change the pads on my car i think i am going to try the carbon met.

Thanks to everyone that has replied to this post i thank you very much
Old 05-25-2004, 07:18 AM

Last photo:

Don't get discouraged! There are alot of shop owners, "by no means all" who got there start one way or another, you don't have to know everything to run a business, you just need people working for you, who DO KNOW! Sounds like you'll be fine, hang with it! As far as 1/2 mile breakin, nada! No time for the rotors to cool! Mike

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.