Hot Rod Forum banner

Metallic Paint Problem

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  adtkart 
#1 ·
You know guys/gals... I feel like s_ _ T! I repainted my rear quarter extensions on my 67 Stang Fastback and all I did was sand them with 400 grit and then sprayed Electron Metallic Blue color and clear. The extensions came out darker than the body. I left the first spray of color in the extension and sprayed new on top without sealer since I thought that the original spray was the same color. Did I make a mistake? Should I have sanded all the original color off first? What can I do?

:eek:

#2 ·
Well, I am sort of lost on your post. If you used a different mix of paint than the original, there is little chance it will match perfectly in a metallic paint. If it is out of the same can, I would say you did not mix well enough in the can before mixing for spraying.

Chris

#3 ·
Chris - the colors are the same on the frist spray as was the last spray - . What I was doing was repairing some wetsanding problems I had. Instead of completely sanding out the clear and base coat, I just sanded the surface clear with 400 grit and then sprayed base coat and clear over the "messed up" wet sanding job I did. The problem I ran into was the color not matching. Basically it was primer sealer/blue metallic base/clear/blue metallic base/clear.

#4 ·
Bruce.... Every time you mix paint you take a chance of a color difference because of the mixture differences. That not only means when the color is mixed, but also when it is mixed to spray. If what was left in the can when you stopped was not properly mixed/stirred up. Also consider the color of the primer that was under the paint on the quarter panel. If the primer was light in color, and the color of the paint that you are painting over on the extensions is dark, the finished color will be darker. Sounds like you may need to strip the extensions, and start over.

I hope this helps.

#6 ·
Blending paint, even out of the same can and on fresh paint is very hard to do,even for an experenced painter.

Did you use a recoat sealer?

Humity,pressure,mix,fan, temperature, distance from the gun to the surface, can all make a shade diff.

Troy;

Attachments

#7 ·
Dang, I can`t make this thing do what I want it to

#9 ·
THanks

Troy and everyone, thanks for the input. No I did not use recoat sealer. Do you think that would make a difference? The original primer sealer I used was epoxy 2k light gray. Should I try that again? What is weird is that I did some body parts seperately on different days and the color matched but when I did the recoat blending, the paint came out darker. Im begining to hate metallic. Now, everytime I look a metallic cars I look for splotchyness and color mismatch. hahaha

#10 ·
I wouldn`t use a regular sealer between fresh coats of paint.
the next time it nay be lighter.Good Luck;

Larry;

Did it work? I can`t see anything but an attchment notice.

Troy;

#11 ·
Bruce,

You didn't mention what brand of paint you're using. Some of the paints on the low end (Cheap $$$) of the scale will be somewhat translucent, especially metallics.

The reason your patch is darker is because the second color coat was sprayed over a darker color than the first coat. If you had used a light gray sealer you probably wouldn't have had this problem.

The best fix I can offer is to let it dry scuff and use a good compatible sealer, as close to the primer color as possible, then recoat.

Good Luck

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com

#12 ·
If the paint was thin or just covering (hideing) on the first job, and you are blending, you can`t use a sealer at the the edge of the blend. Sand beyound the repair a foot or so with 1500 grit wet, just lightly. Or if you have allready color sanded there , just clean the polishing compounds of,spray the first coat to cover the repair, then each coat after that go a little further, right on top of the clear. you should have 3 coats or what it takes to hide good, the last coat being thin at the blend.when you do the clear do it the same way going even further out.you can also get a blending additive that helps the edge.

Probably what is making it darker is the first paint was not heavy enough to get the right shade of the color,then you put 2 or 3 coats on top of that and actually got the right shade of the color.

This may sound confusing to someone who is not a painter.
metallic is the hardest paint to blend that there is. I try to paint to a seam or panel edge if I can.

When I think I have enough paint on ,say 3 coats I put one more on, just to be sure. HTH

Good Luck;
Troy;:sweat:

#13 ·
Bruce... Sorry. I thought you were just trying to re-paint the quarter extensions, not spot and blend. I was picturing the extensions on my 67 Stang Coupe and they are only about 3"-4" long. I just figured that something that small would be best to be stripped and done over rather than do all of this blending.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.