Metallic paint question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: thunder bay
Posts: 235
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Metallic paint question

I am painting my 71 Camaro with Mulsane blue Metallic. I have a shot the shell a couple times now i am trying to get this paint job as clean as i possibly could before putting down clear. My question is no matter how clean i get the booth how careful i am i seem to always end up with some bit of crap in the paint somewhere. The paint looks really good i am very happy with how it went on but i just cant get it without something ending up in there like a hair or specs of crap. Is there any trick to get this stuff out without making a bigger mess? I know you cant sand metallic because you end up moving the flakes but what if i took some really fine paper and tried. I have tried several times now to get it clean and always something ends up in there. My booth is very clean i even let everything sit for a couple days tried water on the floor tried without water something always ends up in the paint at some point. I know with solid color i can just sand and shoot clear problem solved but what do i do with metallic? There must be some trick to get this without re-shooting the car over and over. Thanks to anyone that may be able to help me out.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 PM
skip99's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 133
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are you using base metallic? thats the only way to get a clean paint job..you can remove crap or hair and touch up the base as you go...

what type color are you spraying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: thunder bay
Posts: 235
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No i am using acrylic, can't i do the same thing then just clear coat it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,276
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,418
Thanked 1,218 Times in 1,075 Posts
In a word, no. You CAN clear coat an acrylic enamel ss but damn it's so much harder to get a nice job than basecoat clear coat.

Unless you have THE kickbutt booth ever you are going to get a spec of dirt now and then. In a basecoat you get them and if they are big you can do a little dirt nibbing with fine paper and dust a little cover over it and then clear. If they are little you clear over it, then sand the clear flat and it's gone.

You would be surprised how much you can make totally disappear doing this, a little spec here and there before clear is totally normal and with proper cutting and buffing of the clear it is gone.

I have to ask, your name "Ricksautorestoration" makes it sound like you have a shop, but you are asking questions a restoration shop owner should know. Are you new to the restoration shop or is that just a name you picked because it sounded good. Just wondering?

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 PM
skip99's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 133
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why would you? it's much easier to spray base if you are gonna clear it, and you can play with the base as you go, the acrylic is messy..it's meant to be sprayed without clear..I assume you are using hardners, so, hopefully you wont have a lift problem, .
you said you sprayed the body several times? you're getting way too much material on it..
anyway,,, the acrylic doesnt really dry fast enough to touch up as you go, but...you might try this if you insist on using it...spray your color..and use a drop coat on the last coat...and if you are happy except for a bug, or something...give it plenty of time to tack, then use a little dx330 (ppg)wax remover, on a small piece of 600grit wet/dry, pluck the bug out, and then lightly ,,wet sand the area . and I mean lightly, with the paper kinda curled in your fingers, then,,,,,just spray alittle paint on that area til covered, then drop coat the panel..

drop coat is turn down the air pressure, hold the gun at an angle to the panel . if spraying a hood,,tilt the gun up. so low pressure paint mists out onto each successive pass. ..this also lets the metallics lay as opposed to high pressure misting to cover tiger stripes..


but...switch to base clear, and life will be easier !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 PM
skip99's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ohio
Posts: 133
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ps, I picked my name because SKIP was already taken... I know..Im a smart a@@
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,276
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,418
Thanked 1,218 Times in 1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip99
but...switch to base clear, and life will be easier !
It is so easy it's friggin crazy! SOOOOO much easier than even a single stage. You have total control throughout the entire process.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,276
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,418
Thanked 1,218 Times in 1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip99
ps, I picked my name because SKIP was already taken... I know..Im a smart a@@
LOL, it's like those personalized license plates that read something like "Fiero25"

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:18 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
FWIW file

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksautorestoration
My question is no matter how clean i get the booth how careful i am i seem to always end up with some bit of crap in the paint somewhere.
First- I am not a painter. Had a guy tell me most of what ends up in the paint comes off YOU as much as the interior of the booth. Even stuff stuck by static on the hose. Said if you don't have the right coveralls, etc. to paint with, use extra hold hairspray over yourself/clothing to stick down whatever is on you after you've cleaned up first.

I never did this, but it stuck w/me for some reason. If the painters say don't do it, then don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: thunder bay
Posts: 235
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its just a couple spots one hair and some nibs, i used the acrylic because i got a really good deal on it ya probably should have used base but dident and i actually still like how acrylic looks in certain colors compared to base clear and i can shoot inside the doors around seems without having to worry about clearing those areas. I thought i would be able to let it dry get rid of the hair and few specs of dirt by wet sanding with some real fine paper hit those spots with color again then clear the whole car will it not blend if the paint is still pretty fresh? Thanks for the reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2012, 11:29 AM
67Elcamino's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: west covina, ca
Posts: 352
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksautorestoration
Its just a couple spots one hair and some nibs, i used the acrylic because i got a really good deal on it ya probably should have used base but dident and i actually still like how acrylic looks in certain colors compared to base clear and i can shoot inside the doors around seems without having to worry about clearing those areas. I thought i would be able to let it dry get rid of the hair and few specs of dirt by wet sanding with some real fine paper hit those spots with color again then clear the whole car will it not blend if the paint is still pretty fresh? Thanks for the reply.
..............................................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2012, 11:30 AM
67Elcamino's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: west covina, ca
Posts: 352
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksautorestoration
I am painting my 71 Camaro with Mulsane blue Metallic. I have a shot the shell a couple times now i am trying to get this paint job as clean as i possibly could before putting down clear. My question is no matter how clean i get the booth how careful i am i seem to always end up with some bit of crap in the paint somewhere. The paint looks really good i am very happy with how it went on but i just cant get it without something ending up in there like a hair or specs of crap. Is there any trick to get this stuff out without making a bigger mess? I know you cant sand metallic because you end up moving the flakes but what if i took some really fine paper and tried. I have tried several times now to get it clean and always something ends up in there. My booth is very clean i even let everything sit for a couple days tried water on the floor tried without water something always ends up in the paint at some point. I know with solid color i can just sand and shoot clear problem solved but what do i do with metallic? There must be some trick to get this without re-shooting the car over and over. Thanks to anyone that may be able to help me out.
dry get rid of the hair and few specs of dirt by wet sanding with some real fine paper hit those spots with color again then clear the whole car will it not blend if the paint is still pretty fresh? Thanks for the reply.[/QUOTE]
Tweezers?............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2012, 12:13 PM
MARTINSR's Avatar
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San francisco bay area
Age: 55
Posts: 13,276
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1,418
Thanked 1,218 Times in 1,075 Posts
I was taught a "bridging" method to pick something out of the middle of a panel. You put an elbow on an adjacent panel that isn't being painted, or an a masked off window or something like that. Then with that arm you hold up the other arm with the tweezers steadying it. I have found that you can get remarkably precis e with this little trick.

Brian


Last edited by MARTINSR; 05-18-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2012, 03:20 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
A mahl stick could also work where there's something safe to bridge to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: thunder bay
Posts: 235
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks skipp99

Just wanted to say thanks to skipp for the good advice. I used the drop coat as you suggested worked out perfectly thanks for the useful info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Run in metallic paint eisej Body - Exterior 5 07-29-2011 05:33 AM
Dummy Newb Q--Can I get metallic paint without the metallic? superkaz661 Body - Exterior 4 10-07-2008 04:16 PM
help wetsanding metallic paint?? imp0rted1 Body - Exterior 9 07-11-2008 10:02 AM
Metallic Re-paint bruce-77346 Body - Exterior 1 06-20-2003 08:23 PM
Metallic Paint Problem bruce-77346 Body - Exterior 12 06-16-2003 05:02 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.