MetalMeet2004 Invitation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2004, 11:52 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

MetalMeet2004 Invitation

Hi Folks!

For those of you interested in learning more about metalshaping, and would like the best hands-on instruction by the most knowledgeable metalshapers in the world, this is your chance. The 2004 International MetalMeet will be the largest gathering of metalshapers ever, with 250 metalshapers and enthusiasts present, as many as 20 vendors, 40 english wheels and many other tools of the trade. This event is scheduled for Oct. 26,-Nov. 2, 2004 and will be held in Robinson, IL. The cost to attend this week long event is only $50.00, which also covers the cost of materials and supplies. If you would like to attend please register at www.metalmeet.com and follow these directions. http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1187
If you have any questions, you may contact me via e-mail at rodbuilderandco@frsb.net or by phone (618) 544-2972
There are a few spots left, so act fast, as there is a 250 participant limit.

Thanks,

Randy Ferguson
Metalshaping & Kustom Paint
www.metalmeet.com

Advertisement

Last edited by Randy Ferguson; 07-29-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2004, 12:09 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Old 07-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Damn, that sounds pretty sweet for a noob like me. This will take some serious consideration.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Sounds like an epic metalshaping event -- nice work Randy Ferguson and fellow MetalMeet'ers! Can't wait to see some pics and hear all the juicy details.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:14 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

I went to the Regional @ Dutch Comstocks place. If it is 10% of what Dutch's had, it will be WELL WORTH it for ANYONE to attend ! I was only able to hit Dutch's for Friday. It killed me not to be there Sat. & Sunday. (Prior commitments)

(Checking on plane and hotels after i'm done with this post !)

Dutch's meeting was best described as a "group of guys that were like old friends-that never met". Everyone was welcome to pitch in and do, or help in their own way, or if you wanted,stand and soak it all in.

They varied in talent from a green,raw,newbie like me to experts like Dutch & Randy that could make identical, but opposite fenders better than factory made.

I met fantastic people like Kerry Pinkerton, Slob (Rob), Randy, Dutch, Collin(NY), Colin (from Canada) 2 guys from the Netherlands, Andy, Bennett, and a slew of other guys that could bend metal. Never been to a friendlier place. EVERYONE wanted to see everyone produce higher quality, so even miniscule tips were passed around.

Gotta see what Expedia.com says.......

Randy-
Where's the closest major airport? and minor?

Last edited by Beenaway2long; 07-29-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last photo:

Hi Jeff,
Indianapolis and St. Louis are the closest major airports at about 2 or 2-1/2 hours away for either one. Terre Haute, IN. or Evansville, IN. would be the smaller choices, with Terre Haute being nearly an hour away and Evansville a little over that.
You will want to get motel reservations made asap. The number for the Best Western, (where I have 40 rooms blocked, that may or may not still be available) is (618) 544-8448
Act fast!!
Oh BTW, The International MetalMeet is HUGE. The regional meets are tiny in comparison, but the great thing about it, is that the same spirit you describe is ever present. This will be our 4th annual gathering, which has grown beyond belief. Our first MetalMeet, we had 35 guys in attendance, and though it's grown to this number in such a short time it's still like getting together with family. In fact, my real family isn't as close knit as we are! It's strange for a group of 250 people, mostly males getting together and checking the ego at the door, but it really does happen!!
We will have seminars daily, so for those of you who think you aren't up to speed enough to attend, but would like to, you will certainly be just as welcome as the seasoned veteran! I've attended each one (last year my first time hosting this event) and I was a rank beginner that first year, so don't let that stop you!

Randy Ferguson
Old 07-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Man does that sound awsome. I should be ashamed of myself but I have a guy only an hour and a half from me who does classes. He does them on the road as well. If any of you would like to go to the MetalMeet one but can't maybe one of Ron Covells classes would be a good start. COVELL (click here)
Old 07-30-2004, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

Ron Covell= $180 per DAY.
MM'04= $50 per WEEK.

hmmmm......
Old 07-30-2004, 05:31 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last photo:

And MetalMeet IS 100% hands on, NOT sitting in a chair watching.

The $50.00 fee covers ALL expenses, including the metals you use for your various projects throughout the week.

Many knowledgeable people to glean information from.

Tons of tools to 'test drive' before purchasing.

Raffles and door prizes.

Daily seminars

All types of metalshaping projects and procedures, from simple patch panels to a complete, scratch built car. A complete re-body of a '37 Olds, aviation panelwork, motorcycle building, blacksmithing, art projects, metal spinning, you name it, if it pertains to moving metal, we're probably doing it!!

The $50.00 fee is a shared expense to cover costs of the event, so in reality, it's a free event, but we all chip in to pay for the metals, supplies, tent rental, porta potties, various materials for buck building, tables, benches, lighting, etc. It's a huge undertaking and we work at this, literally, year around. It's a labor of love, so to speak.

The friendships that are forged is the real value though. As I said before, and evidenced by Jeff's post, we are a close knit bunch!

Randy Ferguson
www.metalmeet.com
Old 07-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by crazy larry
Ron Covell= $180 per DAY.
MM'04= $50 per WEEK.

hmmmm......
Ron Covell = an hour and a half from me $15.00 gas, + lets say two meals about $25.00?, $50.00 max.
MM'04 = $400.00 air fare, $300 Hotel, meals $150.00 rental car $300.00, gas $50.00? total $1,200.00

It is an option, I am not saying it is better, just an option. I just spent my two week vacation, I couldn't go for another week, PERIOD. So Covell would be a good option. That is all I am saying.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

well, in that case, another interesting option might be Gene Winfields' class.

i was figuring on staying on Randys' couch.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:57 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last photo:

Hi Guys,
You're missing the concept.

MetalMeet IS NOT A CLASS.

The seminars could be considered a class, as they will be conducted as such, but MetalMeet, as a whole is much more like an apprenticeship program. Everyone can roam around, come and go as they please, etc. BUT, we will be forming teams of about 15 guys ranging in various degrees of experience, working together on our many projects. This will allow the beginners and intermediate guys to work closely with the more advanced and pro metalshapers to greatly reduce the learning curve. You can learn way more in this setting than you will in any class. Most of the guys going to the classes that some of the more "famous" metalshapers are teaching, are still having to pay for the same expenses incurred in coming to a MetalMeet.
Covell's is probably the most economical class you can attend, because he travels and works in various shops regionally, giving classes, rather than having to go to his shop, but you still may have to travel a bit to get to one. The thing I find about the classes though, (and I've never attended one, but have taught a couple) is that you get one guys perspective. With MetalMeet, you get to learn from many craftsmen and get a huge amount of information and ideas from several sources. We all learn more each year too, just by "sharing information and sharpening skills" as our logo states.

Randy Ferguson
www.metalmeet.com
Old 08-03-2004, 12:11 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

I gotta back Randy on this one. YOu will learn more by rifling around than any class could show you. I went to Gene's. I learned A TON (See My Journal for 80 pics). I also went to Dutch Comstocks, which is where I met Randy. I spent $350.00 for 2 days at Gene's. I had a great time and learned a ton. I saw 90% of what Gene showed me. Gene showed the blasphemous technique of BONDO, which is verboten at Metalmeet. If I can get the time away from the business, I'll be in Robinson w/ "Thor". What I learned at Metalmeet, that WASN'T at Gene's was :

How to make/use a flexible template

How people will make mistakes, AND CORRECT THEM

How people can discover new techniques and SHARE them gratis

How to make your own tools using stuff that other people throw away.

A "free" hotline for problems.(Metalmeet) Especially one where people genuinely want to help.

20 or 30 different "teachers". Where if you don't understand one persons method of explaining, you have 18 other ways to tell you the same thing until you understand! Perfect example was when Kerry Pinkerton was explaining methods of shrinking metal (Crushing tucks). He did his best, but I was too thick. Randy and Dutch explained it a little different, and metal was getting thicker by the second.

BEWARE THOUGH: This metalbending stuff is contagious ! All progress was halted on my 39 chevy until I finished my brothers gas grill this weekend. Gotta see my journal for the z-28 fenders on the grill. LOL A rookie and his E-wheel. What a pair !
I've twisted more metal (in the last 2 weeks) than a demolition derby !

Old 08-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

I'll be there, just have to remember to drop my form by.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.