Metalshaping/Dent Repair Workshop San Jose - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Metalshaping/Dent Repair Workshop San Jose

Jon has approved this topic for posting here:

I am traveling from Seattle to the Bay Area and will be putting on a metal shaping and dent repair workshop in San Jose/Bay area on sunday the 12th of June. The plan is to start at 9 am and go for 6-8 hours. This will be a loosely organized event. No more than 30 people...probably a lot less.

Demonstration of stretching, shrinking, and smoothing sheet metal using simple hand tools.

Mallet and shotbag for stretching, hammers and dollies for smoothing, tuck formers for shrinking with a steel hammer.

Discussion on making a motorcycle fender, fender flares, making curved flanges, dent repair and using a shrinking disc for metal finishing.....I will add to this as I think of things that might be of interest.

This will be for novice to intermediate skill levels. Iím still in the planning stages...any feedback appreciated. I may have a video demonstration as well.....not sure yet.

Eye and ear protection required! Please contact me as soon as you can to sign up: ghiafab@msn.com Payment in advance is required. I accept paypal or your check. The fee is $75. It is refundable if for some reason the workshop does not take place. $50 of the fee is refundable to folks who are unable to attend after paying.

Attend at your own risk! Neither myself nor the shop owner will be liable for your safety.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com ghiafab@msn.com

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2005, 10:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Beenaway2long and I went to Gene Winfields 2 day class last year, 6-8 hours maybe a little short, you might want to figure on a 10 hour day. Lots of questions asked. If you're still in the planning stages, check out beenaway2longs journal, he covered Gene's class pretty well, you may get some ideas. Gene bombarded us the first day, the second day was more of a review and hands on. The English wheel and what a guy can do with one took up some time, people have a fascination with these tools. The class was great, I'm going back next weekend for more, I'm going to pay more attention to detail and tooling, many tools were fairly easily made with some thought, not everything needs to be bought from Eastwood. Be prepared for lots of questions, types of welding rod, bondo, paint, etc. Maybe round up some manufacturers pamphlets for information that can be taken home. Your price for the day is certainly very reasonable, the hobby needs more guys like you to share your expertise with the do-it-yourselfers. Dan
Old 05-15-2005, 01:22 PM

Last photo:

John,
You may want to post this in body and paint as not everyone goes to the lounge.
Barry
Old 05-15-2005, 04:21 PM

Last journal entry: Slow progress

Wow!

Hi John,
thats really great!
As you know I just bought one of your shrinking disks.
Shall I bring the Mustang over? Just kidding, but I'll be there for sure.

Roy.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:44 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Hi John-

$75.00, you should fill that fast. If your JUST doing lecture and demo, its good deal for both. Class size may be a little large, as everyone will have a hard time seeing. (A video that can be purchased later, MAY be a nice way to add to your pockets.)

In the future, you MAY want to consider doing a "2 day" for $300 where people can touch the metal, crush some tucks, maybe even wheel a little bit. Something similar to Gene Winfields seminar.

I went to a regional Metalmeet at Dutch's place last year, and can honestly say, that there were NO comparisons. Two separate venues altogether. About the only similarity was that they both had e-wheels and planishing hammers.

There's two approaches IMO. Metal workers and car guys. Similar, yet different enough to warrant separation.

Metal workers are more interested in how to make unique things. They get turned off by cars.

Car guys are looking to get the panels "flat" or make car specific parts(dashes for hotrods). They get turned off by "copper roses", medival armor,etc.

I think one of the most captivating topics is home made tools, or how to do it with nothing but a "tree stump and a leaf spring". Gene showed us his homemade lover press, activated by a tractor trailer brake actuator. Cool! Same with the baseball bat hammer, or purse beater bag, etc. (Check out my journal for Winfields tools. Should be the first 75 pics)

Definately highlight your shrinking wheel!! Thats KILLER ! I saw one in action at Dutch's. Same goes for the flexible pattern.

Either way, John, I commend your efforts. Knowledge is too sacred to keep to yourself. The price of admission will seem insignificant after the person learns what you have to offer.

Dan-
You may want to consider going. Your wife will LOVE looking for an E Wheel for you !! (Personally, I recommend the Imperial wheel , built by Kerry Pinkerton, Ask Randy Fergeson as well. Extremely well built, adjusts for wear, and his price is dirt cheap for what you get!( Gene should update- his is all worn out, but with him at 78 years old....) Have a SOCO for me, will ya? And tell Gene I said hi. Also, ask him if the coupe wall art is ready for sale yet? Price?

Old 05-16-2005, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys!

Dan,

I will be focussing on metal shaping and dent repair/ metal-finishing...no filler, or paint. We might talk a little gas welding if it comes up, but it will not be the primary reason for the workshop.

I have some unconventional methods of shaping and smoothing metal that will hopefully encourage beginners, as well as others more advanced, to jump in and start pounding without fear of hurting the metal.

We may put in a very long day if there is enough interest, and the shop owner does not get too tired, but this is by necessity a short visit to the area. Thanks for your thoughts, and suggestions!

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old 05-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Have a SOCO for me, will ya? And tell Gene I said hi. Also, ask him if the coupe wall art is ready for sale yet? Price?
Will do both. I'm taking 2 fenders with me from my coupe for demo purposes also. Major sucking up this trip, I've got him a free standing woodstove and pipe for the section of his shop that has the barrel stove, a FREEBIE from one of my customers last winter. Gene's too cool, I've spoken to hime about 4 times since the last class at various car meets, a very nice and humble man. Also have some cool doo-hickeys that we have left over from different stove applications, Homer uses a lot of them for fabricating brackets, etc, I'll also drop some off for Willys on my way out there Fri. I may even hit that little bar in Lancaster for that SOCO. Wish you were going. Dan
Old 05-16-2005, 08:23 AM

Last photo:

"There's two approaches IMO. Metal workers and car guys. Similar, yet different enough to warrant separation.

Metal workers are more interested in how to make unique things. They get turned off by cars."

Hi Jeff,

I have a foot in both camps. You can see some of my simple tools, and a little of my work by going through these albums:

http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/communit...=9990093068868

You have made some good points...the workshop size should a be a little smaller. 15-20 people would probably be better. I'm putting together some short video demonstrations to go along with the workshop.

Thanks for your input!

Old 05-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Shapin metal

I woudl think IMHO that if a fellow learns how to make a nice shape..say a bowl and turn the edge so it is something nice the learned metal shaping skills would allow a fellow to make a car panel without too much difficulty..

One of the hard things to get across sometimes is that skills transfer..once the skill is learned then making parts or pieces becomes a lot easier..

So it is OK guys to make a bowl or something as a first project to get the idea of how to take a flat sheet of metal and make something out of it..

Welding is the same deal..once you know how to do it then welding metal is the same deal..just heat metal and rod..

Just my centavos..

OMT
Old 05-16-2005, 09:53 AM

Last photo:

Hi OMT,

A bowl is a common first time project for the reasons you stated, but one must "think outside the bowl" as well. I have learned the most from trying out what comes to mind...even if it is discouraged by conventional wisdom...one things for sure, there are many ways to learn!

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old 05-17-2005, 09:36 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

Hi John-
I've been to that site many times. As a matter of fact, your demos in a roundabout way, led me to Metalmeet. If those guys find this out, your toast !! LOL

I agree with you guys 100%, that skills transfer. That is uncontested.

Its the absolute newbies to metalworking, like I was a year and a half ago, that have the "issues" regarding the form of metalwork. Once you are educated about what metal does, you can relate from one form to another.

You both have to admit, there are FEW hotrodders that will work a panel until they don't need ANY bondo, whereas a metalworker would rather DIE than to use it period.

Each venue has its acceptable practices and tools

Case in point: Gene Winfield swears by his Bullseye pic. The general consensus at the N/E regional Metalmeet was that the thing was only good for cracking walnuts at Christmas.

One thing they both agree on is Eastwood's Shrinking hammer, that twists when you use it. "Great Christmas present for someone you don't like." LOL

Whatever format, I'm sure it will turn out great for you !! Gene told me that "You will learn something new, from every one you do."

(John- how much for a shrinking wheel, shipped to NY 13206? Paypal? )

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 05-17-2005, 09:41 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
Will do both. I'm taking 2 fenders with me from my coupe for demo purposes also. Major sucking up this trip, I've got him a free standing woodstove and pipe for the section of his shop that has the barrel stove, a FREEBIE from one of my customers last winter. Gene's too cool, I've spoken to hime about 4 times since the last class at various car meets, a very nice and humble man. Also have some cool doo-hickeys that we have left over from different stove applications, Homer uses a lot of them for fabricating brackets, etc, I'll also drop some off for Willys on my way out there Fri. I may even hit that little bar in Lancaster for that SOCO. Wish you were going. Dan

Woodstove in the desert? LOL Tell Jimmy I said hi, too!

After last week at work, I was ready to drive cross country to Gene's to see if he needed a grunt to block/sand. And I HATE block/sanding! Have a good time, and think of me when you drive south of lancaster. Give Kowgirl Kim a buck or 10 for me !!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Hi Jeff,

I agree, each person needs to work with the tools they like...as long as they work. I use a bullseye pick that is modified...only for picking up slight low spots. Ron Covell ,and John Glover both use bullseye picks.

You can shape metal with a claw hammer and a flat piece of steel plate. Tuck the edge with the claw end, hammer the tucks down over the steel plate, and you have a bowl shape. Part of the fun is making tools out of simple stuff.

Shrinking discs are $57.50 delivered. I can make one for you anytime. Use ghiafab@msn.com for paypal.

Thanks, John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Old 05-26-2005, 04:37 PM

Last photo:

Made an English Wheel to bring to the workshop...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0152.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	5119  

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.