Methanol injection - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 PM
80 SS El Camino

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Methanol injection

I have a question and was wondering if anyone has tried this. I have a friend with a Ken Bell supercharger who just introduced meth. He gained almost a sec on his 1/4 with extra boost and timing. (BTW, look for the black 95 mustang on pinks April 24th Charlotte!) Knowing I'll be his pit for the event I've read up on Meth until the internet ended. What I came up with is there isn't a big crowd out there if any that run it on naturally aspirated engines. This I can't figure out. It reduces air charge temp, cylinder temps but up to 200 deg. increases octane rating and you can advance the S*&^ out of SBC without pings. Now I know your not going to get 30 to 40% increase in HP, maybe 5% to 10% but isn't that worth it. For the same reason we put headers on, roller rockers, or an electric fan... all for the little extra. If anyone has tried it on a motor without boost or EFI please tell the community how it's worked out for you. If there is no one then I'm volunteering to the be the first.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Been playin' with it for 50 years. Cheapest way I ever rigged up a system was a Ford windshield washer reservoir with the little 12v pump in it. Rigged up a microswitch on the carb linkage to power the pump. Pump came on wherever I set up the microswitch, usually at 1/2 throttle. Ran the delivery hose to the middle of the carb air horn, drilled and tapped it for a 0.030" (thirty thousandths) orifice, aimed at the middle of the space between the two throttle bores. I seem to remember using a blank Holley main jet and drilling it 0.030". Like you said, you can run more ignition lead and make more power with it. I ended up using 1/2 water and 1/2 isopropyl rubbing alcohol from the drug store. The drug store stuff is, I think, about 70% alcohol. So, in order to make a good 50-50 mix, use 5 bottles of drug store alcohol mixed with 3 of the same size bottles of water. That should be about a 50-50 mix.

Edelbrock used to make a system, pretty slick one at that. I bought two of them and put them on the shelf. Used one on a buddy's truck, don't have a clue what happened to the other one. Varajection I think it was called.

Last edited by techinspector1; 04-09-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:37 PM
80 SS El Camino

Last photo:

Thanks techinspector1,
That is good to know and I'm glad to here from someone who's tried it! I'm bracket racing tonight so it'll be a great opportunity to get some good 60 ft and 1/8 mile times. I'll definitely post my results before and after.

Thanks again
Old 04-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Still learning .... happily

Another dumb question, why would you use alchy when nitrous is so easy to come up with. Methanol alcahol has a latent heat value that is 2.05 less than standard gasoline. Yes I suppose you could add lead but is that better than what nitrous brings to the party? Just curious
Bill
Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 PM
80 SS El Camino

Last photo:

That's a great question.
The answer is this... My stroker puts out 450+ hp and I'm pushing the Hypereutetic pistons already. Without forged parts NOS would melt them. Maybe not the 1st or even the 10th shot but eventually something really bad would happen.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 PM

Thanks, I actually spent several years on a USAC race team and worked a ton with Alky. Hence the curiosity. You may have just reached the top end of what you can do without other parts..... been there and done that
Bill
Old 04-16-2010, 08:59 PM
80 SS El Camino

Last photo:

You learn as you go right? Next motor will have forged top to bottom
Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 PM

My friend, it's all good. I have blown a couple of expensive engines up learning actually more than a couple but if we keep paying attention that doesn't have to happen. When possible let others learn the really expensive lessons and then post them places like here.......
Bill
Old 05-31-2010, 09:25 PM
80 SS El Camino

Last photo:

I worked!!!!!
I finally got to the track with the meth. installed. Even though it was 90+ deg. out side I dropped 2/10 off my best 1/4 mile. It was 30 deg. cooler when I went last so I suspect that when all is said and done it will be good for 3/10ths. Meth works on natural aspirated cars, I'm proof. Install is easy and probably the cheapest bolt on for HP out there. I hope it encourages more guys. Here is the link to my project..
http://www.networxcomputer.net/Meth.html

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.