Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Method to determine carburator CFM?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2004, 11:01 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Method to determine carburator CFM?

I have a 600 CFM Edelbrock on my stock 307 SBC and had several people at the Right Coast Show last week in Syracuse tell me I should have a 500 CFM carb. I have had some recent discussion on this site regarding rich fuel mixtures and possible air leaks. But no body ever said anything about the size of the carb being too large for the motor. I suspect there is some trial & error experience telling me a 500 cfm is better than a 600 cfm for the stock motor and I'm willing to spend the $ to buy a new carb if I'm satisfied it will solve my rich fuel problem. Can any one tell me if there is a formula or reference table out there that will begin to qualify the claim? I have also considered restricting the 600 cfm carb and metering down the flow, but my intuition tells me that the modifications are not going to be as effective or as efficient as the 500 cfm carb. I have done the leak tests suggested and found none. What do you think?