Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   Mexican Blanket Appearance (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mexican-blanket-appearance-218726.html)

hp246 04-28-2012 10:00 AM

Mexican Blanket Appearance
 
I'm looking for some upholstery material that gives the appearance/feel of blanket but is actually upholstery. Looked allover. Any sugestions?

ddriver 04-28-2012 12:04 PM

Mexican blanket appearance
 
I, too, would be interested in finding a supplier of vinyl that had the "mexican blanket" pattern. Have used the iron-on clear vinyl over regular fabric for small jobs, but that would not be cost effective for anything large.

DanTwoLakes 04-28-2012 09:06 PM

You won't find vinyl with what is called "southwestern" appearance, or Mexican blanket appearance. You can find fabric with that appearance. The other alternative is the vertical or horizontal stripes, and stripes with patterns in them that would suggest a Mexican blanket motif. Here are some southwestern fabrics: CLICK HERE I have never seen a fabric with the Mexican blanket motif by the yard.
That's not to say upholstery fabric like that doesn't exist.

OneMoreTime 04-28-2012 09:21 PM

Thanks Dan..I have been looking for some fabric of those patterns..

Sam

hp246 04-28-2012 09:36 PM

I'm not looking for vinyl, I'm looking for Upholstery grade fabric. I've found many sources for the "Southwestern" style fabrics. I'm looking for the Mexican Blankets style stripes. I want the bold vibrant color of the Mexican Blanket. Especially looking for Yellows, Reds and Blacks in the mix.

nine4gmc 04-28-2012 10:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I just did an interior for a tacoma, guy wanted Mexican blanket inserts. He ordered the blankets online, I glued them to some canvas backing cloth and cut the patterns I wanted for the inserts. The sides and back of the seat is vinyl, authentic Mexican blanket inserts.

hp246 04-28-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nine4gmc
I just did an interior for a tacoma, guy wanted Mexican blanket inserts. He ordered the blankets online, I glued them to some canvas backing cloth and cut the patterns I wanted for the inserts. The sides and back of the seat is vinyl, authentic Mexican blanket inserts.

I've been reluctant to use genuine Mexican blanket, As I've been told it doesn't hold up well. Can you tell me how this has held up? What weight backing cloth did you use? What did you use to glue them together?

nine4gmc 04-28-2012 11:47 PM

the canvas was some light-medium weight that I picked up from walmart for another job and had some left over. I knew I needed some backing to help keep the blanket from unravelling so I lightly sprayed the backing and blanket with 3M Contact Cement and bonded them together. after I cut the patterns in the blanket and 1/2" sew foam, I sewed the perimeter of each panel before sewing the panels together.

as far as holding up, its not UV, stain or wear resistant so I doubt it would last long in a daily automotive environment. tinted windows a garage and some scotchguard will extend the life some but denim jeans will wreak havoc eventually.

hp246 04-29-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nine4gmc
the canvas was some light-medium weight that I picked up from walmart for another job and had some left over. I knew I needed some backing to help keep the blanket from unravelling so I lightly sprayed the backing and blanket with 3M Contact Cement and bonded them together. after I cut the patterns in the blanket and 1/2" sew foam, I sewed the perimeter of each panel before sewing the panels together.

as far as holding up, its not UV, stain or wear resistant so I doubt it would last long in a daily automotive environment. tinted windows a garage and some scotchguard will extend the life some but denim jeans will wreak havoc eventually.

Thanks for the info. Will consider, but still gonna spend some time looking for some upholstery.

hp246 04-29-2012 09:32 AM

This color scheme is workable: http://www.decorativefabricsdirect.c...ctCode=6081611, but not sure if the fabric appropriate. Dan, what should I be looking for in a fabric description?

DanTwoLakes 04-29-2012 03:16 PM

Waverley has good fabrics, but you should be looking for fabrics that are more synthetic, like polyester, nylon, Olefin, etc., not 100% cotton. The high natural fiber content like cotton makes it more expensive, and also less durable, and you definitely don't want anything that says dry clean only, whether it has a fabric protectant on it or not. It will look good for only a short while, and you will be unhappy with it very quickly.

hp246 04-29-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Waverley has good fabrics, but you should be looking for fabrics that are more synthetic, like polyester, nylon, Olefin, etc., not 100% cotton. The high natural fiber content like cotton makes it more expensive, and also less durable, and you definitely don't want anything that says dry clean only, whether it has a fabric protectant on it or not. It will look good for only a short while, and you will be unhappy with it very quickly.

Great Info. Thanks Dan. I keep looking.

AutoGear 05-02-2012 10:29 AM

This goes way back;
I had a fried whose Mother owned an AMC Marlin (1965 I believe). It had black vinyl seats with an inset that was SouthWestern in appearance, however I remember it having a geometric style pattern (Native American) instead of straight horizontal lines. It was definitely automotive grade (from 1965 at least) I wonder if someone has repro stuff

I have a hard time with the Mexican blanket thing; our farmtrucks always had blanket style seat covers for some reason, so usually when I see one I think of our old PowerWagon. Different Strokes I guess

DanTwoLakes 05-03-2012 06:01 AM

I remember that stuff also. That "Navajo" fabric was available in the AMC Pacer from 1975 to 1980 with the D/L package.

Here's a black and white picture of what it looked like. Scroll down to the bottom of the page: CLICK HERE

Here's another picture in color in this E-Bay ad: CLICK HERE

Old Fool 05-03-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hp246
I'm looking for some upholstery material that gives the appearance/feel of blanket but is actually upholstery. Looked allover. Any sugestions?

Have you tried googling the Mexico web? www.google.com.mx


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.