Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   mice control (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/mice-control-28528.html)

71montebbc 11-23-2003 09:40 AM

mice control

I live out in the country. So there is mice out here. I put poison out, but it don't get them all. My first project car, they got into it and destroyed the interior. I had to burn it all. It was a mess. I don't want to do that on this one. Does anyone have any suggestion's on keeping them out? Someone told me moth balls in a can but I don't know if thats true or not. Thanks for the help!:(

crazy larry 11-23-2003 09:54 AM

A RAT SNAKE.
OR A CAT.

dinger 11-23-2003 10:33 AM

Get some cheap cinnamon or chili (hot) powder from a 99c store, sprinkle liberally.

71montebbc 11-23-2003 10:49 AM

Thanks, Dinger I got that stuff in my cabinet now.

tm454 11-23-2003 01:44 PM

Sprinkle the cinnamon or hot chili pepper around the garage to chase off mice?

Maybe a garage cat is in order! I let my lab stay in the garage if she wants and catch them. She hasn't found any in a while? My buddy told me to leave the radio on to chase them away but that didn't make sense, they love music too!! I also use the moth balls in a closed up car and glove box or center console glove box and trunk. No mouse poop so far!! I would use the garage cat but my dogs would eat the cat so no cat........

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!

machine shop tom 11-23-2003 07:55 PM

I've had good luck with the mothballs.

19firebird72 11-23-2003 08:09 PM

that sounds like a good idea but i caught several moths and looked and looked but i can't seem to find their balls. hopefully i haven't been chatching all female moths.........

4 Jaw Chuck 11-23-2003 08:50 PM

Ditto mothballs.:cool:

Magnus_Jager 11-23-2003 10:18 PM

This made me remember one of my mice stories.

I used to live in the country. I had a 1970 duster with some rust through. I'm driving down the road on my way to college. I look down and here is this mouse sitting next to my feet. Kinda looking at me. I freaked out a little. You don't expect mice in your car when your driving down the road at 55mph. No major issue but he goes bolting across my feet and into the area by the center heating unit. My now wife was in the car at the time and was not impressed by my mouse house duster. I pull over and try and find him. No luck.

So over the next couple weeks I'm looking for my unwanted passenger with no luck. I'd find corn and feed in my duster, but no mice. I guess he finally moved on as the corn and feed stopped showing up. He probably didn't like me raiding his stash.

Mice part 2

After getting rid of the duster, I picked up my first 54 dodge. It had some rust through in the trunk, and it was stored outside. I went out to do something and opened the trunk to find a large pile of stuffing in a nest. No mice at that time so I cleaned it out.

Probably a month later when it got into summer I went to do some more work, and found my seat torn up a bit, but then I found the part that bothered me more. There where large snake skins through the car probably 3 of them in various sizes, the largest about 3 foot long. So Snakes will solve your mice problem but large snakes in your car may be worse especially if you ever want a woman to ride in it. My now wife was less impressed with the snakes in the 54 dodge...

Since these times I've had to shoo cats and possum away from my vehicles, I'm thinking of getting a large python....

fat50 11-24-2003 05:22 AM

I used peanut butter in "snap-traps". I laid about 6 of them around the garage. Do you have food for them laying around? Them lil buggers were eating bird seed, grass seed. Soon as i put the seeds in metal trash cans with lids on tight they havent come back.

C

71montebbc 11-24-2003 06:16 AM

Ill give it all a try. Maybe even a sign on my shop door. I could put a picture of one on it, then below it , keep out or danger ahead. I just thought if my wife saw one in the car while cruising, I would have to take drastic measures to save me and my car plus anybody around. She would freak out on me.:eek:

Kevin45 11-24-2003 12:40 PM

I don't know if you have them in Idaho but if you do try a Hedgeapple or Osage Orange. Cut in half. lay on a pie tin or something similiar and put in the vehicle. Supposingly where hedgapples are mice and spiders don't go. If you are not sure what a hedgeapple is do a search and you'll get a lot of hits. They are about the size of grapefruit, light green, and bumps/warts all over them. DO NOT eat them.

Kevin

F1 Owner 11-24-2003 09:58 PM

mice control

Hey 71 Monte ,
I have heard of some people using vanilla scented granules (available at places like Wal Mart, & craft shops)
Also ,have heard of people using Bounce fabric softener dryer sheets with fairly good results, just use more than 2 or 3 .
Anything but mothballs----yeeecccchhhh !!!
:P Rick

71montebbc 11-25-2003 06:13 AM

I have never heard of a hedgeapple before. So Ill have to research that one. I will also agree those moth balls do have a long lasting odor verses bounce. But on the other hand Ill never forget the odor a bunch of mice will leave, serious yuuuuuk!

dollybud 11-25-2003 07:51 AM

I swear by mothballs. Another thing they will do is repel flies. Take an old nylon stocking, cut up to make small bags, put in 6 to 10 balls, tie up and hang up on your porch or in your garage. It doesn't get rid of every fly but keeps them at bay.:D