Micheal Jackson Vs. real heros - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Micheal Jackson Vs. real heros

This is written by a young soldier serving his third tour of duty in Iraq. Thought you might find his take on the Michael Jackson news interesting and he's right.

Okay, I need to rant.

I was just watching the news, and I caught part of a report on Michael Jackson. As we all know, Jackson died the other day. He was an entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent millions, and he did a lot of things that make him a villain to many people. I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and I respect those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my rant.

Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds with grief. When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was to ENTERTAIN people, the American people find the need to flock to a memorial in Hollywood, and even Congress sees the need to hold a "moment of silence" for his passing?

Am I missing something here? ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's a freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades? What about all those SOLDIERS who have died to give us freedom? All those Soldiers who, knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war, still raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution and the United States of America. Where is their moment of silence? Where are the people flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them because they made the ultimate sacrifice? Why is it when a Soldier dies, there are more people saying "good riddance," and "thank God for IEDs?" When did this country become so callused to the sacrifice of GOOD MEN and WOMEN, that they can arbitrarily blow off their deaths, and instead, throw themselves into mourning for a "Pop Icon?"

I think that if they are going to hold a moment of silence IN CONGRESS for Michael Jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. They need to PUBLICLY recognize every life that has been lost so that the American people can live their callous little lives in the luxury and freedom that WE,
those that are living and those that have gone on, have provided for them. But, wait, that would take too much time, because there have been so many willing to make that sacrifice. After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too. We only shed our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have.

Sorry if I have offended, but I needed to say it. Remember these five words the next time you think of someone

who is serving in the military;

"So that others may live..."

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Excellent post!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I think this rant is comparing apples to oranges. Jackson was an artist, and as such he will be remembered through his work. That's why people identify with art and artists so much, because they create something that can't be replicated by anybody else. We identify it and it helps us identify with a sense of sameness. I can remember a number of times growing up as a kid listening to Michael Jackson in the car, and even at parties in college. Those are good memories, and its sad to see that guy go.

Yes, before I hear the onslaught, Mike was also a little weird. Most artists are, with the benefits of talent comes the eccentricities that others don't identify with. Mozart and Picasso were womanizers, but we really don't remember them for that, we remember what they produced.

Its also sad when soldiers die. Most of us, however, don't personally identify with them. We have no memory of a way that person has affected us before they died. When almost a million people died in south east Asia in the typhoon 4 or 5 years ago that was horrible too, but the feeling is different. Just because we should make notice of a soldier dying in the field and make a note that it was a sacrifice that allows us to have a country, doesn't mean that we can't also mourn in a different way when we lose something that makes the country we have interesting in a unique way.

I would also point out that we take two days out of the year to stop and remember what soldiers do for us: memorial day and veteran's day. On those days, its our job to stop and make a note of what we have and why we have it. MJ dying was a shock and a lot of people identify with his music and have great memories including him, but lets not kid ourselves that there will ever by a "Michael Jackson" day or a "Pop star memorial day."

So I guess we can and do have both types of memorials. They're different and they should be.

K
Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerformula

So I guess we can and do have both types of memorials. They're different and they should be.

K
Agreed! +10!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Without our freedoms there would be no art...The first thing the nazi's did was burn books and keep people from expressing themselves...Did Elvis get the same reaction from congress?Thank God (yes GOD) I can express myself each and every time I see a soldier in uniform and thank him or her, black ,white yellow, or polka dotted for their contribution and since there is a base(fort Gordon)right up the road it's every day.I feel it's My duty as an american to let them know they are respected above all others.....Hey wait didnt Elvis serve too,Hmmm,now theres an american icon...ten times the man M.J.could ever dream of being but then he didn't have the likes of Jesse J. behind him nor would he want them there ,he might have to bend over to tie his own shoes sometime and BAM!!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Without our freedoms there would be no art...The first thing the nazi's did was burn books and keep people from expressing themselves...Did Elvis get the same reaction from congress?Thank God (yes GOD) I can express myself each and every time I see a soldier in uniform and thank him or her, black ,white yellow, or polka dotted for their contribution and since there is a base(fort Gordon)right up the road it's every day.I feel it's My duty as an american to let them know they are respected above all others.....Hey wait didnt Elvis serve too,Hmmm,now theres an american icon...ten times the man M.J.could ever dream of being but then he didn't have the likes of Jesse J. behind him nor would he want them there ,he might have to bend over to tie his own shoes sometime and BAM!!!!
Jesus, what are you like five years old?

Nobody is saying "lets celebrate MJ and not the soldiers." That's never been a debate, I really don't have any idea why its being made one. We have coverage of the fight our soldiers are in every day on TV. MJ also got covered for a few days. What's the problem? We can't have both?

yeah, obviously if we didn't fight for our freedom we wouldn't have a country, I don't understand why that's being raised as an issue. Nobody is contesting that. But now that we have a great country we can also celebrate the things that make it unique, like our music, our food, our culture. You may or may not like MJ, but opinion is not on the table here. The fact is the guy sold 109 million copies of thriller all over the world and nobody has come close since. Like it or not, people identify with him, and through him, to the Untied States. Our art is one of the things that makes our country great.

Every hotrod in the country could be crushed tomorrow. All of us would be really upset because we'd lost icons of our history. What does that have to do with soldiers or the price of tea in China!?

We can walk and chew gum at the same time, and we don't' need to draw parallels between every loosely associated event in the media. I know we all like to read things we can all agree with and clap each other on the backs for upholding principal, but this is a stupid thread. Celebrating/remembering one group doesn't detract from the other at all.

K
Old 07-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Here we go again !!!!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
The only part that fries me is that LA paid for that friggin memorial! That CHAPS MY HIDE!

Other than that, I think what it comes down to is some people think we shouldn't honor MJ or his like at all. That is ludicrous, he is a public figure, just as we honor many public figures "we" honored him.

I feel that there is a VERY good chance he was a pediphile, but I don't know for sure so I will honor his music, PERIOD, not the man.

Because I have "mourned" him a little sure as hell doesn't take a thing away from my visits to war memorials and grave sites. It doesn't change what so ever all the times I look up at a war bird and not thank the men who flew it. It doesn't change how I felt with my family in silence with many others, hats in hand at the tomb of the unknown soldger, it doesn't change how I put out the flag on Veterans day and Memorial day and think of the men who died for this country.

Mourning a celebrity for what they have gave intertaining people doesn't take that away. Thanking God for giving us the artist, the people who usually put the passion of the art in front of material things, just to entertain us. This world would be one bland place if not for the artist.

I can mourn both the artist and the warrior and I think most of us can.

Brian
Old 07-16-2009, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

I'm with bodyman we celebrate these clowns when there is so much other stuff that deserve peoples attention but they pay it to these "icons" Icon my arse. Suppose MJ had never been born, I am sure we would have survived.109 million copies of thriller only indicates there are 109 million morons who bought it.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

MartinSr, THAT'S the problem with honoring someone the likes of MJ! If ten million people want to go cry their stupid hearts out over that weirdo that's fine, that's their right but when our civic leaders start spending our tax money and CONGRESS of all places starts officially honoring him that's Ludicrous! That soldier is 100% right and IMO to honor the likes of Jackson with public funds or a public office is an insult to those who really deserve the honor.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 PM

Last journal entry: Getting all the parts together for my LTX build
Last photo:

This is coming from a soldier in Mosul Iraq.

I think it is a bit of crap (for lack of a much better word), he dies and gets media coverage for days. Trust me, i tried watching the news while I was on R&R and all I saw was him. I just wanted to find out if there were any KIA and the locations (city), that way I could make sure it wasn't anyone I knew personally. Nope, the only thing on any news channel was straight michael.

Honestly I've seen what can happen here. I know of the hardships put onto our families (or families being ripped apart by multiple back to back deployments, trust me going through this right now).

The suicide rate in the military is at a extreme high, wonder why? My guess is probably because of the constant hardship, lack of leadership, and having no moral because you know when you get done with this deployment you get back to the US and no one understands you. You can't wait to get back around your fellow soldiers. But there comes a point when you realize you just can't take anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to feel sorry for us. We chose to join and knew what was a possibility.

Here is a quick question just to kinda prove my point at why michael jackson's death was blown way out of proportion. How many Service Members have died in Iraq and Afghanistan since July 9th 0000 hours (Washington DC time)? How many total for The War on Terrorism? Separate it now, how many in Iraq and Afghanistan? Good luck, remember just go by what you've heard on the news, not off what you can search on the internet and find.

Eric
Old 07-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

This was an email sent to me. Think about it.

You're a 19 year old kid. You're critically wounded, and dying in the
jungle in the Ia Drang Valley , 11-14-1965, LZ X-ray , Vietnam . Your
infantry unit is outnumbered 8 - 1, and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100
or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac
helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know
you're not getting out. Your family is 1/2 way around the world, 12,000 miles
away, and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and
out, you know this is the day.
Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a
helicopter, and you look up to see an un-armed Huey, but it doesn't seem real,
because no Medi-Vac markings are on it...
Ed Freeman is coming for you... He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job,
but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the
Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come.
He's coming anyway.
And he drops it in, and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load
2 or 3 of you on board.
Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire, to the Doctors and
Nurses.
And, he kept coming back.... 13 more times..... And took about 30 of you
and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Ed Freeman,died last Wednesday at the age of
80, in Boise , ID ........
May God rest his soul......
I bet you didn't hear about this hero's
passing, but we sure were told a whole
bunch about some Hip-Hop Gay Singer dying

Medal of Honor Winner
Ed Freeman!
Shame on the American Media
Old 07-16-2009, 05:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Eric63, two things. First, THANK YOU for your service! Secondly, thank you for posting out firsthand what I as a layman could not get the words in order to post myself.

In a while, Chet.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

People that serve their country should be honored...That's a given, and I am sure few will debate that.

But, in this country and the US, a person is innocent until proven guilty.......MJ, although a strange person compared to us, was never proven guilty of anything. Then again, OJ Simpson was not proven guilty of murder either. I guess the moto is, public opinion is what we all must fear rather than a court of law.

Budget RVs
Old 07-16-2009, 07:10 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

(tongue in cheek) I just wish that somebody FAMOUS would die so we don't have to watch Jacko's remains drug all over the tube anymore - - - hell, I can't even get the local news and weather without seeing that BS - - - enuff is enuff people

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.