Hot Rod Forum banner

Micrometers

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ochoa32 
#1 ·
I've been looking into investing into some micrometers and i was looking for advice in which would be good quality at a decent price. Thanks:)

#2 ·
Starretts, Browne & Sharpe, Mitutoyo.

And shop around because some will really try to rape you on the price. With all of the older toolmakers retired and not many new toolmakers entering the field, places like CL has all sorts of mics for sale for decent prices. Just ask if they come with the "Standards" if you buy them. That way you can check them for accuracy. For a REAL decent set of 0-6, I wouldn't pay more than $400 if that if they are used. Probably more like $250 for 0-6". Just don't get in a hurry and you'll run across a good set. Don't worry about paint being worn off, but you want to make sure they move freely, and if they have the friction wheel, you want to ake sure they work correctly while checking it on a standard.

#3 ·
I know its not politically correct to say so but I've had really good luck with the cheapo under $200 stuff for a 0-6" set. You usually have to disassemble them and deburr the threads and polish the friction thumb wheel and lubricate with a little adjustment of the backlash nut but they work as well as the good stuff...maybe a little clunky with some of them (I like the B&S copies myself because of the thinner bodies).

Hate to say it but most of what you pay for with the expensive sets is this hand finishing and fine tuning (and nicer finishes of course). I sold off all my Mitu and B&S stuff and bought cheapos and had money left over, these things still wear out and after almost three decades of nearly constant use mine were done and couldn't adjust accurately in the mid range.

Just a thought, I gave them a try since I could always return them and found them serviceable with some love, I would have had to do the same to any other micrometer set just these ones took more adjustment and playing with. For the amount an average rodder would use a set I just can't say its worth it to buy the expensive sets anymore, all you need is a fine tip arkansa slip round hone...a couple drops of electric motor oil (doesn't sludge) and your good to go.

I have yet to find a better caliper than an old school vernier scale Mitutoyo though, still the best and worth paying extra for.

These are the stones you need to really do a nice job on them:

Norton Hard Arkansas Files

#7 ·
ebay is full of used micrometers, look there for decent pricing
i just sold a set of starrett id mics (4'' to 32'') and starrett depth mics (0 to 9'') (in original boxes with paper work)
for a fraction of what they were worth just to get rid of them
nothing i do needs anymore than a dial caliper or my trusty vernier caliper

#9 ·
For doing cranks and bearings, you'll want a set of mics that have the vernier function on the barrel so you can read ten-thousandths. Here's a pretty fair video tutorial that explains how to read vernier....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-0PNxoTSs

Here's an example of the set of mics that I would want to have if I were tasked with measuring cranks and bearings......I would make certain though, that the barrels included vernier.
Mitutoyo Boxed Outside Micrometer Set 0 6" with Standards | eBay

Here's a set without the box, but they are vernier with standards.....
Mitutoyo Micrometer Set 0 6 0001 with Standards | eBay

I personally would advise against anything electronic in measuring equipment. Every time I used to reach for mine, the battery was dead. Never again.

#10 ·
Repeatability in the tool is by far more important than anything else. I have a cheap chinese bore gauge that does just comparisons of measurements and it works great. But I have some name brand Prat and Whitney, Starette and Mit stuff for dead nuts measuring when the job calls for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.